Taking up Golf - Help and Advice

Sekiro

Visit site
Hey,

I‘ve recently been bitten by the golfing bug after a couple of hours at the range, before the weekend I had never swung a club in my life but after spending an hour-or-so at the range with a friend on Sunday I feel hooked. I’ll not lie, my shots were terrible but I really enjoyed it and my friend has said that I should give it a try and get myself some clubs so we can get a few rounds in.

Well, after a few hours of trawling through eBay I have realised that I have absolutely no idea what I should be looking for, what’s good and what’s not, how old things are or if they will even fit me (I’m only 5’6”). I was hoping to pick up enough stuff to get out playing by the weekend if possible but only have a limited budget of around £350 (I went to America’s Golf on my lunch hour and this won’t even get me a set of irons....!).

Is it possible for me to get what I need to get out playing, or is my budget simply unrealistic?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hey,

I‘ve recently been bitten by the golfing bug after a couple of hours at the range, before the weekend I had never swung a club in my life but after spending an hour-or-so at the range with a friend on Sunday I feel hooked. I’ll not lie, my shots were terrible but I really enjoyed it and my friend has said that I should give it a try and get myself some clubs so we can get a few rounds in.

Well, after a few hours of trawling through eBay I have realised that I have absolutely no idea what I should be looking for, what’s good and what’s not, how old things are or if they will even fit me (I’m only 5’6”). I was hoping to pick up enough stuff to get out playing by the weekend if possible but only have a limited budget of around £350 (I went to America’s Golf on my lunch hour and this won’t even get me a set of irons....!).

Is it possible for me to get what I need to get out playing, or is my budget simply unrealistic?

If I was starting out I'd invest on a set of lessons to start with. Get the basics right and then look at some game improver irons. I wouldn't buy from AG when there are deals to be had on second hand golf sites. Speak to the pro at the driving range and see what he suggests going forward.

Sekiro

Visit site
I don’t think I have the funds to both buy clubs and also have lessons, local coaching would cost £349 for a 6 lesson package, which would leave me £1 to get the clubs to take to the lessons. Looking at things (coaching, pricing in American Golf, club membershi etc) I’m starting to have second thoughts and going to say that maybe I’ve underestimated this part of the hobby, unfortunately golf is a little out of my reach (financiall).

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hey,

you can easily pick up a 2nd hand set for your budget, less if needed

if it was me i would have a look on gumtree/facebook marketplace etc you will often find someone locally selling a whole set that will do you fine to start with

Sekiro

Visit site
Lol 6 lessons are not typically £349.

Look for something cheaper, much cheaper.

Yeah, I’ve started to notice that if I don’t play at my local course (it’s a David Leadbetter Golf Academy), some of the courses further afield seem to offer more modestly priced tuition.

you can easily pick up a 2nd hand set for your budget, less if needed

if it was me i would have a look on gumtree/facebook marketplace etc you will often find someone locally selling a whole set that will do you fine to start with

Thanks got the advice, never thought to check Facebook marketplace, any advice on what I should be trying to aim for or is it very much “anything will do for now”?

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
Have you had a look at some of the package sets they sell at American Golf? There’s a lot of snobbery in golf so don’t worry about having the latest set to start with. A package is a good starter point if you’re not confident building a second hand set via eBay. If you become serious then you can gradually upgrade if you so choose in the future.
My brother started out with a Wilson Deep Red package set and they play really nicely although just outside your budget. He’s only just now starting to replace some clubs after getting to mid 90s golf.
https://www.americangolf.co.uk/golf-clubs/package-sets

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
Additionally, I’d get to the range and get a good feel and rhythm. Check you are gripping the club okay with some YouTube tutorials.
YouTube really is the modern day friend to new golfers.
Bad Golf is a great channel which shows how new golfers can have a lot of fun on course.
Rick Shiels, Danny Maude and others have some excellent coaching tips on there too - check out the ‘how to hit irons’ videos too

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don’t think I have the funds to both buy clubs and also have lessons, local coaching would cost £349 for a 6 lesson package, which would leave me £1 to get the clubs to take to the lessons. Looking at things (coaching, pricing in American Golf, club membershi etc) I’m starting to have second thoughts and going to say that maybe I’ve underestimated this part of the hobby, unfortunately golf is a little out of my reach (financiall).
6 x 30 minute lessons are not £349. My teaching pro does 6 lessons for the price 5 (around £130) and if you find somewhere doing group lessons chances are it'll work out even cheaper. I definitely think getting the basics right at the outset will make you golf journey much easier and help you start playing consistently earlier. That would still leave you cash for a set of improver irons and maybe then save for a 3 wood or hybrid from there

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As Homer says, the best money would be spent on lessons. Learn the basics first, grip, stance, posture with the correct grip so important. After all the grip is the only contact with you and the club.
By having lessons first you won't get into bad habits and then have the hardship of unlearning them. That means you can avoid the 2 steps forward, 1 step back scenario.
In terms of lessons, here in the North East it's typically £30 per hour. Also get some good recommendations, it doesn't follow that your local pro will be the best.
It may not be as sexy and exciting as buying clubs, but it will be be more rewarding.

Mannion

Visit site
Buy second hand for your first set. Keep an eye on gumtree and eBay in your area and you will be able to pick up everything far cheaper than brand new in a store. Save the money for lessons, they will help you from falling into bad habits early on. Good luck (y)

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site

For inspiration, bag of clubs from a charity shop for £25, but he’s also done things with golfbidder a second hand club website. Just shows that if you’re willing to compromise your budget is plenty.

You also don’t need a full 14 clubs, a half set is more than enough as a beginner. I’d go against a post above and suggest old driver rather than 3 wood but see how you get on.

Also don’t worry too much about age, yes clubs improve with technology but I kept my last set for 10 years and I’m a regular golfer with low teen handicap. Still worked fine at the end (no difference from 1st year) I just fancied a change.

For lessons, either have an opening one, or check out your driving ranges where many have group lessons or certain time slots where you can be hitting and a pro will come up and down the range giving some comments.

Courses you just have to pick the right ones, but timing is also important. If you’re willing to play late afternoon/evening then many will offer twilight rates or you can check websites like golf now for tee times and cost.

It can be a very expensive sport and full membership may be a challenge, but starting, driving range and playing courses can be done cheaply.

Sekiro

Visit site
So many replies, thanks everyone.

Just a few follow up questions;-

I noticed that a package set was suggested, are these a real contender as they seem to get a lot of hate by reviewers and YouTube?

Golf Bidder looks great, but probably still beyond my budget if I’m trying to piece together a 1/2 bag and take lessons.

It looks like I’m likely to go down the second-hand route, is there any advice on what I should be looking for (and avoiding)? And where do people seem to have the most luck (eBay, gumtree, shpock, Facebook Marketplace - or are there any golf specific ones?).

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So many replies, thanks everyone.

Just a few follow up questions;-

I noticed that a package set was suggested, are these a real contender as they seem to get a lot of hate by reviewers and YouTube?

Golf Bidder looks great, but probably still beyond my budget if I’m trying to piece together a 1/2 bag and take lessons.

It looks like I’m likely to go down the second-hand route, is there any advice on what I should be looking for (and avoiding)? And where do people seem to have the most luck (eBay, gumtree, shpock, Facebook Marketplace - or are there any golf specific ones?).

personally think youre better off buying 2nd hand from the lower end OEMs than buying a package set

more choice on ebay, likely to get a cheaper option but less choice on gumtree/facebook marketplace

whereabouts you based?

Sekiro

Visit site
personally think youre better off buying 2nd hand from the lower end OEMs than buying a package set

more choice on ebay, likely to get a cheaper option but less choice on gumtree/facebook marketplace

whereabouts you based?

Yeah I think second-hand is going to be the right route for me, I’m based in Teesside which doesn’t seem to be great for local offerings when it comes to second-hand equipment.