T.V Scripts

flandango

Head Pro
Visit site
Thinking of writing one. Had an idea for some time and wandered if anyone out their had any advise.

It's not golf related though!

I know what its about and how I want it to look and sound.

If anyone could offer any words of wisdom that would be greatly appreciated.

Please don't take the p#ss to much!!!!!!!!

Yidio

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thinking of writing one. Had an idea for some time and wandered if anyone out their had any advise .

It's not golf related though!

I know what its about and how I want it to look and sound.

If anyone could offer any words of wisdom that would be greatly appreciated.

Please don't take the p#ss to much!!!!!!!!

Being an old (well,28yr old) pedantic ****,i'd consider a bit of grammar first.

Sorry..... :p

flandango

Head Pro
Visit site
Thats what the missus is for. She's a magazine editor!

I'd be the first to admit i'm not the best at grammer. Just means i'll have to work a little harder.

It's not about people who can't spell Murph but thanks for the much valued input buddy!!!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Try setting it out as a cartoon initially (story boarding) (the old stick on figure/fuzzy felt toys might help)
Bear in mind that an average 30 minute programme is actually nearer 25, with adverts maybe 20! However, that is still a long time to fill and you will probably need to be longer as it will be cut and will require rewrites. (see below)

Do a bit of research (which could be time consuming) - time and motion on a similar style programme - check out the proportion of speech to silence, length of typical speeches (we used to have an actor on the forum, wonder if he's still around?). Big action sequences fill space/time but cost money. Lots of characters = lots of speaking parts (do extras still get paid more if they have a line of dialogue?).

Develop a thick skin - everybody is a critic and will be happy to tell you that they know what you meant better than you, that they could have written it better, and that they wouldn't do it that way - especially if they never have.

Don't know your situation or the storyline but if it's suitable could a local school drama class try out scenes for you?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have a bit of experience from my old man many years ago. There was an ITV comedy called Second Thoughts with James Bolam and Linda Bellingham. It actually came froman orginal idea by my dad and I think I have an old copy of the first script knocking about.