swilcan bridge

MiurasFan

Blackballed
Visit site
It'll be fine when soil and turf is replaced fully and it weathers a bit. Probably needs the same on the other side of the bridge too!

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And this is why you get an architect to do the drawings first. You don't break ground and build things as an exploratory exercise. Unbelievable really.

https://standrews.com/articles/swilcan_bridge_works_update

The exploratory works around the approach to and from the Swilcan Bridge had been undertaken as part of ongoing attempts to mitigate the issue of significant wear and tear to the turf. In recent years we have identified and trialled a number of solutions, with the primary ambition always to find something that is both adequate for the amount of foot traffic for such a popular location whilst being in keeping with its surroundings.

The stonework at the approach and exit of the bridge was identified as one possible long term solution, however while this installation would have provided some protection, in this instance we believe we are unable to create a look which is in keeping with its iconic setting and have taken the decision to remove it. ...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
D

Deleted member 15344

Day do you need an architect, It a bit s of stone path. Tbh the thing is if you would rather a muddy patch or some crap astroturf great.

Surely a proper architect would be able to provide plans and visions of What various options could look like

You wouldn’t change a golf hole without a golf architect

It’s one of the most iconic pieces within the sport - would expect the minimum would be to design any changes properly

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
On the pictures I saw, it looked like they'd added a sensible stone circle to save wear and tear on the course.

I didn't realise they'd knocked it down and replaced it with something made out of concrete and steel...

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Day do you need an architect, It a bit s of stone path. Tbh the thing is if you would rather a muddy patch or some crap astroturf great.

I’m more dumbfounded by the way it’s been handled. A couple of weeks ago we got the usual links trust newsletter describing upcoming works to the public beach side of the links that nobody cares about. And the greenkeeper report that mentioned the cold weather and ongoing winter works. No mention of any work planned on 18 let alone the bridge.

It’s odd. All other work on the Old gets communicated but not this? It just appeared. Nobody seems to have known about of any form of plan or consultancy of work surrounding it.

Then when publicly questioned the trust dig their heels in, saying it’s essential, it will be fine, to be patient for the work to finish. While still unable to point to a plan, but that they will continue.

Then suddenly 24 hours later they flip, issue a bizarre excuse about exploratory work, undo everything and issue a statement saying they will consult with relevant stakeholders.

The only way this makes sense is that it’s sheer incompetence. Nobody lays a hundred 20kg slabs just to explore options unless they’re an idiot.

The credibility of the links trust is already questionable at times and optically, through the eye of the world, this is an incredibly dumb thing to have done.

It’s quite remarkable, and is more than just about a bit of worn turf.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I’m more dumbfounded by the way it’s been handled. A couple of weeks ago we got the usual links trust newsletter describing upcoming works to the public beach side of the links that nobody cares about. And the greenkeeper report that mentioned the cold weather and ongoing winter works. No mention of any work planned on 18 let alone the bridge.

It’s odd. All other work on the Old gets communicated but not this? It just appeared. Nobody seems to have known about of any form of plan or consultancy of work surrounding it.

Then when publicly questioned the trust dig their heels in, saying it’s essential, it will be fine, to be patient for the work to finish. While still unable to point to a plan, but that they will continue.

Then suddenly 24 hours later they flip, issue a bizarre excuse about exploratory work, undo everything and issue a statement saying they will consult with relevant stakeholders.

The only way this makes sense is that it’s sheer incompetence. Nobody lays a hundred 20kg slabs just to explore options unless they’re an idiot.

The credibility of the links trust is already questionable at times and optically, through the eye of the world, this is an incredibly dumb thing to have done.

It’s quite remarkable, and is more than just about a bit of worn turf.
Tbh I thought it looked and sounded a solution to the wear and tear. Last time I was there was at the hotel for a conference and even without the golfers there was a steady stream of people wondering over to get a photo. In the original press release they say they had tried other things that hadn't really worked, do you think if they had consulted better it would have been recieved a bit more positively?
The social media hyperbole just seems over the top.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I think there are a number of issues in this.
  • People don't like change. They are used to the Swilken bridge as it is, and don't want any changes.
  • There is a lot of wear and tear around the bridge so something needs to be done.
  • The looks are IMHO, a bit clumsy. Maybe something more on a level with the turf rather than on top would be better.
  • Perhaps something more integral with the soil.
  • Would high quality astroturf or hybdird turf really be so bad? There are research institues now that provide advice for many uses.
  • For all those who have complained, do you have a better solution? I have no doubt there is something more aesthetically pleasing, but the issue still remains.
But I think the main reason is, people don't like change to something that iconic.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I always thought the bit of astroturf in front looked a bit crappy, worse than the stones to be honest.

Think the stones would have been ok if they were more of a funnelled path than a big circular patio. The thing with these kinds of mass thoroughfare is that the wear will just move the next point of entry

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If they fully believed this was the right course of action it would have been done before the 150th open.

Maybe they though this would have bedded in nicely before the 200th. :)

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tbh I thought it looked and sounded a solution to the wear and tear. Last time I was there was at the hotel for a conference and even without the golfers there was a steady stream of people wondering over to get a photo. In the original press release they say they had tried other things that hadn't really worked, do you think if they had consulted better it would have been recieved a bit more positively?

I’ve said myself there is a problem needing solved, ignore the patio for a moment and look at the background facts.

1. It’s one of, if not, the world‘s most iconic golf landmark.
2. It attracts large amounts of visitor traffic and is subject to constant wear and tear
3. It has unique aesthetics and is photographed and filmed every day
4. Is a grade B listed building

With those facts in hand, as a minimum, there should have been an agreed and communicated plan well ahead of any works done. There should have been an expectation that any form of change would be questioned and meet resistance. Being able to refer to a plan, design or concept to resolve conflict is essential.

So, yes, had there been better consultation they could have gotten well ahead of negative reaction, changed the narrative in media and perhaps created something that will last hundreds more years.

D

Deleted member 1147

I’ve said myself there is a problem needing solved, ignore the patio for a moment and look at the background facts.

1. It’s one of, if not, the world‘s most iconic golf landmark.
2. It attracts large amounts of visitor traffic and is subject to constant wear and tear
3. It has unique aesthetics and is photographed and filmed every day
4. Is a grade B listed building

With those facts in hand, as a minimum, there should have been an agreed and communicated plan well ahead of any works done. There should have been an expectation that any form of change would be questioned and meet resistance. Being able to refer to a plan, design or concept to resolve conflict is essential.

So, yes, had there been better consultation they could have gotten well ahead of negative reaction, changed the narrative in media and perhaps created something that will last hundreds more years.
It's just like in the work place when employers make a decision without discussion. Staff moan and then employers cave to pressure and reverse their decision.
When all they needed to do was talk to those it would affect to find the best way forward.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I always thought the bit of astroturf in front looked a bit crappy, worse than the stones to be honest.

Think the stones would have been ok if they were more of a funnelled path than a big circular patio. The thing with these kinds of mass thoroughfare is that the wear will just move the next point of entry
I think the round bit was more for the people taking the photo rather than just golf traffic. It's something to behold the sheer number of people popping over to getva photo on the bridge. I used to go to a fair few conferences there and spent most of my time looking out the window 🤣