AIG Women’s Open 2024 - St Andrews

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Nope

Done well but won’t be SPOTY
Er, that was my point.

She doesn't, and probably won't, feature on Oddschecker. And they are listing people all the way down to 500/1 chances.
But 2 minutes running on a track can make you a hot favourite. A number of years to get there, undoubtedly.
Marvellous achievement for Keely Hodgkinson, but it has taken at least an equivalent amount of time, effort, dedication and performance to get to Number 1 in the world of amateur golf.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Aside from the pace of play, enjoyed that. And delighted Ko won it, always seems to play with a smile, deals with pressure very well. Seeing her chit chatting going down the last, and then very relaxed on the putting green waiting for the last groups to come in. I’d have been watching the tv willing them to miss every putt and getting worked up!

As for pace of play, what it about 5 hours for the final group? No worse than the men.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Er, that was my point.

She doesn't, and probably won't, feature on Oddschecker. And they are listing people all the way down to 500/1 chances.
But 2 minutes running on a track can make you a hot favourite. A number of years to get there, undoubtedly.
Marvellous achievement for Keely Hodgkinson, but it has taken at least an equivalent amount of time, effort, dedication and performance to get to Number 1 in the world of amateur golf.
“2 mins running on the track” won her the biggest event in her sport watched by millions

Woad had done well but it makes very little impact on the sporting world

Everyone will know who Hodgkinson is - no one outside golf will know any amateur golfer

Voyager EMH

Visit site
“2 mins running on the track” won her the biggest event in her sport watched by millions

Woad had done well but it makes very little impact on the sporting world

Everyone will know who Hodgkinson is - no one outside golf will know any amateur golfer
Those points all true.
They seemed obvious to me that I thought that it was not worth pointing out that Lottie Woad won't feature as a SPOTY candidate

But golf fans, here on a golf forum, will most likely recognise Lottie Woad's achievement at age 20.
But now you've got me preaching to the already converted.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seriously? Can’t see it.

Andy M might be up for something.
Absolutely. The lad's a sensation, he has won tournaments, he has brought huge publicity to darts. It also comes down to a public vote and I reckon darts fans are highly likely to mobilise and get behind Luke.

Murray might get some sort of lifetime achievement award but he surely can't win the whole thing. He hasn't won anything this season, he's barely been fit.

sunshine

Visit site
Er, that was my point.

How can you compare the two? Golf is such a minor sport, and we’re not even talking about winning majors. Winning an athletics gold medal at the Olympic Games is massive. Millions of people aspire to run in the olympics, from every country in the world.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
How can you compare the two? Golf is such a minor sport, and we’re not even talking about winning majors. Winning an athletics gold medal at the Olympic Games is massive. Millions of people aspire to run in the olympics, from every country in the world.
Because I was a sprinter and a golfer in my youth and dreamt of doing just what you say. That is how I can compare the two.

Golf is has a huge participation around the world with about 60 million taking part in some way. Hardly a minor sport.
Just think about the "minor sports" that have given us SPOTY winners, equestrianism, ice skating, formula 1, etc.
We've had two SPOTY winners from golf before, Dai Rees and Sir Nick Faldo.
In 1957 Dai Rees was the Ryder Cup Captain who saw GB&I beat USA. He won his foursomes match 3&2 and his singles 7&6. He was 44 at he time.
Tony Jacklin was a SPOTY runner-up two years in a row.
There is public support for those who achieve in golf. But it is up to the media to publicise our high achievers to make the non-golfers aware.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I suspect in this country golf has higher participation and greater media coverage than athletics in general.
Last year Kerr won the world 1500m gold medal and didn't get nominated, but McIlroy did.

However the Olympic games has huge coverage with Athletics being the most prominent sport and women's amateur golf does not get much coverage.

Hodgkinsons achievements were superb and I certainly wouldn't deny her SPOTY but outside the Olympics she barely has a public profile.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry, I realise this is nothing to do with the original topic, but I have to ask because I don't understand. I didn't know who Keely Hodgkinson is, so I've Googled her - she won one gold medal, in 800m. What makes her the favourite for sports personality ahead of all the other people that won gold medals then?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Sorry, I realise this is nothing to do with the original topic, but I have to ask because I don't understand. I didn't know who Keely Hodgkinson is, so I've Googled her - she won one gold medal, in 800m. What makes her the favourite for sports personality ahead of all the other people that won gold medals then?

I think @Voyager EMH was just using her as an example as she's the current 'fav' for spoty verses the AM golfer who some think is equally deserving but not on any betting radar

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think @Voyager EMH was just using her as an example as she's the current 'fav' for spoty verses the AM golfer who some think is equally deserving but not on any betting radar
She's literally the odd-on favourite for it according to Oddschecker, that's why I asked. Then again they have Raheem Sterling 7th which is even more baffling, so who knows.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
She's literally the odd-on favourite for it according to Oddschecker, that's why I asked. Then again they have Raheem Sterling 7th which is even more baffling, so who knows.

Yeah I agree though, why her and not A.N. Other gold winner (media coverage I guess)