Golf in Fife - on the way / before St Andrews

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For those who gave the very useful advice I just thought I would update you on my weekend plans

We actually will play Balcomie at Crail on the Friday afternoon (the original Q)

Complete itinerary is
  • Friday 27th – Crail (Balcomie)
  • Saturday 28th – Crail (Craighead)
  • Sunday 29th – St Andrews golf - The Kittocks Course (Fairmont)
  • Monday 30th – St Andrews (The New Course / The Castle Course) - couldn't book ahead but was told that we may well get on the New course

Really looking forward to it (come rain or shine) :cool:
Have a great time, we were there last week played both New and Castle, enjoyed both but they are very different courses..

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Just come back from Fife, we were up there for 5 days of golf followed by a day at the Solheim.

Played the following :-

Elie x 2
Lundin
Ladybank
Scotscraig

Lundin was my favourite. Followed by Elie, Ladybank and Scotscraig. They are all lovely courses in their own right. We were a little disappointed with the greens at Scotscraig, they almost played like winter greens, which was a shame as the course is lovely.

We got great deals on green fees, call the clubs you want to play, you may find them very amenable to a deal.

Visit site
Just thought I should wind this up

Had a great 4 days even though the weather was patchy (and in general my play was inconsistent at best;))
  • Friday 27th Sep – Crail (Balcomie) - rained throughout - but an enjoyable bash around
  • Saturday 28th – Crail (Craighead) - dry mostly - preferred this links to Balcomie
  • Sunday 29th – St Andrews golf - The Kittocks Course (Fairmont) - a little wind/occasional rain
    • really enjoyed this - great condition - some pebble beach type holes and one or 2 crackers
    • only 40 pounds so a bargain really - pro shop staff were helpful about various Q&As
  • Monday 30th – Ladybank - pleasant surprise and a good rate
    • played my brother in a 2-ball
      • Won 3& 1 :)
My sister has a static caravan in St Andrews which is a great base for 3-4 of us to stay & play
  • Dined out fairly cheaply - plenty of good value places in St Andrews
  • This was a trial run for a more regular trip (ideally in the late spring/summer)
    • As we cleaned up afterwards and left all our excess booze and chocolates behind - apparently we can go back again :p