AIG Women’s Open 2024 - St Andrews

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
You’d think so, but we’ve seen it in the men’s and women’s games the officials are extremely reluctant to punish slow play, unless it’s an unknown player.
There is a pace of play policy (as per Rule 5.6b(3)) in effect at every professional event and it applies to all players. Typically, if a group is "out of position" according to the specific policy, they are first given a warning (and the group behind is advised of this). If they do not regain their position in a brief time (1-2 holes) they will be put on the clock - each player being timed for each shot. Once they are back in position, timing will stop. "Bad times" (times for a stroke exceeding times permitted by the pace of play policy) are usually met with fines which accumulate through the season. Stroke penalties can also be applied by the appropriate pace of play policy or for a breach of Rule 5.6a (Unreasonable Delay of Play).
It can be a time consuming and frustrating process for the referees. Experience says that players can be slow and also know how to stay in position.
My "rules of thumb" for pace of play:
- if you come to a par three and there is nobody on the hole, you might be in trouble.
- if you come to a par four and there is nobody on the hole, you are very likely in trouble.
- if you come to a par 5 and there is nobody on the hole, you are in deep doo-doo.
In any of the above, it's time to pick up your pace.

Last edited:

Crumplezone

Visit site
I’ve been to several women’s events including the Women’s Open and always found the pace of play to be incredibly slow. Some of the players are over reliant on their caddies and need constant affirmation of every move.

As always you only need a few slow players and it backs up the whole course. I remember watching Lizette Salas in contention in the final round and she was painfully slow, I think she was deliberately doing it to disrupt the contenders in her group and also the group waiting behind her.

Must be frustrating for the players who play at a brisk pace but I guess they learn to deal with it when they start playing on tour.

The men’s game can be pretty slow too but women’s is a different level.
I've been to the Women's open many times and never thought the pace of play was slow.

peld

Visit site
Just said Nelly has waited 20 mins between shots.
Really not a good advert for the game

And Skys coverage is absolutely abysmal. Turned on at 12, watched for 45 mins and didn’t see a golf shot. Think I’ve seen a close up of everyone in the crowd and every flag flying yet hardly any golf.

peld

Visit site
Nelly Korda group teed off at 2.05. At 3.45 she hasn’t finished the 5th hole. Ina two ball. It’s painful !

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have to wonder if that's why Charley has gone off the ball. She likes to play fast. Conditions are tough but that's way too slow - not helped by the amount of jacket on/jacket off malarkey!

As for Sky - stop bloody chit chatting about golf and show golf.

Also on Sky. They love the talk about supporting women's sport yet the first 2 days coverage didn't start until midday - missed more than half of Charley's second round....plus the rest of the early starters. They show from the first tee shot of the day in the men's open.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Have to wonder if that's why Charley has gone off the ball. She likes to play fast. Conditions are tough but that's way too slow - not helped by the amount of jacket on/jacket off malarkey!

As for Sky - stop bloody chit chatting about golf and show golf.

Also on Sky. They love the talk about supporting women's sport yet the first 2 days coverage didn't start until midday - missed more than half of Charley's second round....plus the rest of the early starters. They show from the first tee shot of the day in the men's open.

Coverage from TVs self proclaimed Home of golf has been shocking

There has been nothing to stop them showing the play in the morning on the first two days and far too much stuff being shown away from the course - haven’t bothered to watch anything since Friday