AIG Women’s Open 2024 - St Andrews

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Absolutely ferocious - almost unplayable - in fact was nearly getting blown off our feet around 12 - just incredible Lottie held things together and holes some great putts even as she struggled to stay upright. Greens were left v slow cos of wind.

Just an idea of strength of wind was Lottie hit driver then 5i into the 1st - and she normally drives the ball 250yds carry 😳
Not and easy shot over the burn that. I hit a necky drive and wedge when I played the 1st.

Crumplezone

Visit site
I've watched the Women's Open and other tournaments in person many times and never noticed the pace of play to be slow. As others have said, it's more the course and the conditions.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Is it me or are some of the camera angles different to those used during The Open?
I'm seeing views I've not seen before and I quite like it.... :cool:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Is it me or are some of the camera angles different to those used during The Open?
I'm seeing views I've not seen before and I quite like it.... :cool:
Think they had to adjust some positions as they couldn't have all of the high cameras up because of the wind so there is more cameras on the ground in different places

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Think they had to adjust some positions as they couldn't have all of the high cameras up because of the wind so there is more cameras on the ground in different places
That could be the answer.....it gives a good insight into the course that you don't normally see...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Great day again. Lottie played superb - really grinding things out. Conditions had got much worse after a relatively gentle morning and by time Lottie was out playing the loop it was ferocious again. So exposed - playing the 12th the wind was positively screeching off the right. So difficult. Anyway. Sitting tied 11th. Yet to find out who she’s out with tomorrow.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Not as mad as Laura Davies makes me feel. Please go for a coffee break.

This picture of Laura at impact is one of my favourite golf pictures (and it features a persimmon driver!), so I'd forgive her any ramblings.
But as I don't have sky anyway it doesn't matter.
1724446105690.png

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Lottie off at 1pm…breezy, sunshine and chance of showers. Wind across but def helping back nine, hurting front. Walking with Lottie’s dad is great as he knows the lines off tees and where she’ll be looking to play to her strengths. Off with Lee Mo Hyong. And drat. As your reporter types a passing (I hope) shower starts.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Lottie off at 1pm…breezy, sunshine and chance of showers. Wind across but def helping back nine, hurting front. Walking with Lottie’s dad is great as he knows the lines off tees and where she’ll be looking to play to her strengths. Off with Lee Mo Hyong. And drat. As your reporter types a passing (I hope) shower starts.
Is Luke her caddie this trip, out of interest?

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Sun comes out as they start. Going to be a day of sunshine and showers - with a good dollop of wind thrown in throughout.

sunshine

Visit site
I've watched the Women's Open and other tournaments in person many times and never noticed the pace of play to be slow. As others have said, it's more the course and the conditions.

I’ve been to several women’s events including the Women’s Open and always found the pace of play to be incredibly slow. Some of the players are over reliant on their caddies and need constant affirmation of every move.

As always you only need a few slow players and it backs up the whole course. I remember watching Lizette Salas in contention in the final round and she was painfully slow, I think she was deliberately doing it to disrupt the contenders in her group and also the group waiting behind her.

Must be frustrating for the players who play at a brisk pace but I guess they learn to deal with it when they start playing on tour.

The men’s game can be pretty slow too but women’s is a different level.