Open venue rota - St Andrews 2015

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Love St Andrews and could easily live there.

The Open is very special when there, however it is a terrible course for the spectators. You see your hero on the other fairway and it's about a quarter mile walk to get across or watch the tiny spec in the distance hitting his shot.

I watched it from the top bar at The Old course hotel once, that was fun

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
Love St Andrews and could easily live there.

The Open is very special when there, however it is a terrible course for the spectators. You see your hero on the other fairway and it's about a quarter mile walk to get across or watch the tiny spec in the distance hitting his shot.

I watched it from the top bar at The Old course hotel once, that was fun

This is true - mostly the fault of those double greens - meaning spectators have to keep well clear from all sides.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think there's little doubt the 150th will be at St Andrews. That means a six year cycle this time around does it not? With others coming onto the rota I wonder if the gap will increase from the 150th onwards simply to spread it around a bit more. I have my doubts though

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Tom Watson is also bowing out of the Open at the Swilken bridge next year- quite fitting.

Michael Bonallack (sp) and Ivor Robson also retiring at that Open

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Tom Watson is also bowing out of the Open at the Swilken bridge next year- quite fitting.

Michael Bonallack (sp) and Ivor Robson also retiring at that Open

Bonallack he went years ago ?.....Peter Dawson perhaps.

Seems to be lots of guys who want Ivor's job.
Could be a bit groundbreaking to give it to a woman.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think there is a distinct difference between "birth" and "home". You need not necessarily reside at your birthplace for instance - any historic location (including capital cities) also have this trait.
As I seem to remember, I think Leith was the first recorded links which golf first flourished (I could be wrong) but for all intents and purposes and for the sake of any further argument (and even if you google "home of golf") the Old Course at St. Andrews is the generally accepted "home" of golf which also happens to be the headquarters of the R&A too. It may not be the birthplace of golf and it may not be the prettiest or indeed the most challenging of all the courses on the Open rota, but it has more right to claim the title than anywhere else - if you can come up with a better reason as to why somewhere else should be the spiritual home of golf, then it would certainly be entertaining reading.

Royal Burgess and Prestwick have better claims if that is the criteria.

R&A were a bit late to the table when they picked up the administration of the Open Championship when Prestwick and HGEG could not be bothered.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Bonallack he went years ago ?.....Peter Dawson perhaps.

Seems to be lots of guys who want Ivor's job.
Could be a bit groundbreaking to give it to a woman.

yes Dawson (wracked my brains and couldnt be arsed googling) yesterdays medication was missed as stated in another goof yesterday.

I personally cant stand Robson.........announces with totally insincere passion and with what sounds like he's sucking a worthers original.

I love the American way with no microphone and some passion announcing who they are and an achievement, because it is an achievement to play on the tour.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The R&A want it at St Andrews to make the bucks.

They have blocked Turnberry's plan to hold an annual European Tour event as the don't like the players getting used to the Open venue courses.
At the same time the play St Andrews twice more often on the rota AND have an annual tour event.
Don't do as I do ,do as I say!