Sutprising lack of rules knowledge

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played today with 3 chaps, one of them a 7 handicapper was telling how his team won last weekend's Texas Scramble with a score of 50.5.
We came to one hole and he said "we messed this up, my drive was on the bridge over the hazard, and despite using a mat we all miss the green"
I said, you shouldn't have used a mat you were in the hazard, he said no we were on the bridge, that's not the hazard. I'll give you 10-1 one it is says I, I'll give you 50-1 it isn't says he.

Anyway I got the rule book out in the clubhouse and he told some other chaps in the clubhouse what I was looking up and they all said "its part of the hazard"

I find it surprising someone off 7 doesn't know a fairly basic rule.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I played today with 3 chaps, one of them a 7 handicapper was telling how his team won last weekend's Texas Scramble with a score of 50.5.
We came to one hole and he said "we messed this up, my drive was on the bridge over the hazard, and despite using a mat we all miss the green"
I said, you shouldn't have used a mat you were in the hazard, he said no we were on the bridge, that's not the hazard. I'll give you 10-1 one it is says I, I'll give you 50-1 it isn't says he.

Anyway I got the rule book out in the clubhouse and he told some other chaps in the clubhouse what I was looking up and they all said "its part of the hazard"

I find it surprising someone off 7 doesn't know a fairly basic rule.

Confusion can come - in that instance - from the design of 'the bridge'! What might appear to be equivalent bridges could easily be in the hazard in one case, but divide the hazard in the other. Rulefan provided some example pictures in another thread!

But it's not surprising, to me, that low-cappers get Rules wrong! Look at Rory's screw-up with wiping sand from the fringe! Low-cappers tend to get in far fewer situations where Rules knowledge is required (though they can be helpful at times too)!

Jeff Lamp

Visit site
There's a similar situation in the 'Know the rules' section of the latest issue of GM - asking whether you are allowed to ground your club on a bridge over a hazard. The answer given suggests the bridge isn't part of the hazard:

"There is no penalty (Decision 13-4/30). A bridge is an obstruction. In a hazard, the club may touch an obstruction at any time, including at address or in the backward movement for the stroke."

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
There's a similar situation in the 'Know the rules' section of the latest issue of GM - asking whether you are allowed to ground your club on a bridge over a hazard. The answer given suggests the bridge isn't part of the hazard:

"There is no penalty (Decision 13-4/30). A bridge is an obstruction. In a hazard, the club may touch an obstruction at any time, including at address or in the backward movement for the stroke."

How can you conclude the article says the bridge isn't it the hazard when it clearly states that it is an obstruction in the hazard?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Does it say anything on the back of the Score card? At my club, where all paths are in play, it says that the bridges (over water hazards) are immovable obstructions. So, you get a free drop, not nearer the hole etc.

I would be surprised if a bridge was in play unless a local rule specifically says it was.

ps handicap level is not an indication of knowledge of the rules!

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Confusion can come - in that instance - from the design of 'the bridge'! What might appear to be equivalent bridges could easily be in the hazard in one case, but divide the hazard in the other. Rulefan provided some example pictures in another thread!

But it's not surprising, to me, that low-cappers get Rules wrong! Look at Rory's screw-up with wiping sand from the fringe! Low-cappers tend to get in far fewer situations where Rules knowledge is required (though they can be helpful at times too)!

But - low handicappers weren't born that way, they had to progress through the handicap categories just like the rest of us. A flaky knowledge of the rules would soon be exposed when playing in events such as scratch leagues, Opens etc.. I have a private opinion that some low handicappers do try it on a bit as far as rules go.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
But - low handicappers weren't born that way, they had to progress through the handicap categories just like the rest of us. A flaky knowledge of the rules would soon be exposed when playing in events such as scratch leagues, Opens etc.. I have a private opinion that some low handicappers do try it on a bit as far as rules go.

i would share that opinion , esp in company they can scare a bit with their ability

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
3 or 4 times now I've put people right on rules on the course and they haven't beleived me so ask the pro.

Every time the pro has sided with them and I've had to show him the rule.

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site
Does it say anything on the back of the Score card? At my club, where all paths are in play, it says that the bridges (over water hazards) are immovable obstructions. So, you get a free drop, not nearer the hole etc.

I would be surprised if a bridge was in play unless a local rule specifically says it was.

ps handicap level is not an indication of knowledge of the rules!

Relief from an immovable obstruction is NOT allowed when the ball lies in a water hazard.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
The main thing is that you do not get free relief on the bridge over the hazard, whereas on another manmade path you would get relief. So you can ground your club but to drop of the bridge is a one shot penalty.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If a single figure golfer has been playing for 5 years, why should he know the rules better than a 15 handicapper who has been playing for 40 years?:confused:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Relief from an immovable obstruction is NOT allowed when the ball lies in a water hazard.

I did ask if the card mentioned that the bridge was not considered part of the hazard.

At my club I am pretty sure (will check when next there) that the lines marking the water hazard stop either side of the bridge. Seems to me that although they cross the hazard, you do get relief if your ball is on the bridge.

however, if your ball is in the hazard and to the side of the bridge and your stance or swing were impeded you would not get free relief.

http://www.randa.org/en/RandA/News/News/2013/February/Course-marking-Hazards-and-Bridges.aspx

http://www.usga.org/rulesfaq/rules_answer.asp?FAQidx=97&Rule=24

Last edited:

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What's the rule on using a mat? Is that only allowed when not in a hazard?

I follow the rest of this, but not the significance of the mat.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
What's the rule on using a mat? Is that only allowed when not in a hazard?

I follow the rest of this, but not the significance of the mat.

Q. May an Affiliated Club conduct a Qualifying Competition(s) when the use of fairway mats to protect the
course is obligatory?
A. Yes, a club may run Qualifying Competition(s) under such conditions provided:
• Their use is restricted to the Preferred Lie Period (1st October to 30th of April).
• All other requirements for Competition Play Conditions have been satisfied.
• A Local Rule for the use of Fairway Mats has been set out in the Conditions of the Competition.
The suggested wording is:
“A ball that comes to rest on a closely mown area through the green must be lifted, placed on and
played from an Astroturf, or similar type of mat. The mat must be placed as near as possible to
where the ball originally lay. The ball may be cleaned when lifted under this Local Rule.
If a ball when placed rolls from the mat it may be replaced without penalty. If it still fails to remain
on the mat, the mat must be moved to the nearest spot not nearer the hole where the ball, when
placed on it, will remain at rest. There is no penalty should the ball move or be moved after being
placed on the mat and before making a stroke, including when addressing the ball or taking a practice
swing.
Should a peg tee be used to secure the mat the ball must not be placed on the tee.”
The purpose of this decision is to help promote Qualifying Competitions whenever possible during
the Preferred Lie Period.