Sutprising lack of rules knowledge

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Cat 2 golfer tried to tell me if I found my first in the trees I could then choose to play it or the provisional!

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A Category 1 golfer once assured me that the 'artificial surface' rule on our scorecard meant the car park. He didn't seem to realise that the car park is out of bounds. :)

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
12 'capper I played in matchplay a few years ago breaking twigs and knocking leaves off a bush on his practice swing not realising that it was a penalty.

Depends where he was practicing and if it improved his area of intended swing as to whether it is a penalty

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Q. May an Affiliated Club conduct a Qualifying Competition(s) when the use of fairway mats to protect the
course is obligatory?
A. Yes, a club may run Qualifying Competition(s) under such conditions provided:
• Their use is restricted to the Preferred Lie Period (1st October to 30th of April).
• All other requirements for Competition Play Conditions have been satisfied.
• A Local Rule for the use of Fairway Mats has been set out in the Conditions of the Competition.
The suggested wording is:
“A ball that comes to rest on a closely mown area through the green must be lifted, placed on and
played from an Astroturf, or similar type of mat. The mat must be placed as near as possible to
where the ball originally lay. The ball may be cleaned when lifted under this Local Rule.
If a ball when placed rolls from the mat it may be replaced without penalty. If it still fails to remain
on the mat, the mat must be moved to the nearest spot not nearer the hole where the ball, when
placed on it, will remain at rest. There is no penalty should the ball move or be moved after being
placed on the mat and before making a stroke, including when addressing the ball or taking a practice
swing.
Should a peg tee be used to secure the mat the ball must not be placed on the tee.”
The purpose of this decision is to help promote Qualifying Competitions whenever possible during
the Preferred Lie Period.

That makes sense, but why would anyone think a bridge was a closely mown area?

Even if the person thought the bridge was not in the hazard, I can't see how anyone would think it's fairway....