Stableford CSS Q - Winner scored less points than CSS

rikkitikk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am not totally up to speed with how CSS is calculated as I believe they changed the way it is calculated recently so I gave up on trying to understand it! :)

Recently I was in a stableford comp where the winner (10 hcap) scored 35 points but the CSS was 37 points. Is this possible for this to happen like this? I thought that CSS would be lower due to the low scores on the day.

Am asking as I don't think it should but am not sure so please explain slowly so I might have a chance of understanding it! :)

Thank you

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
the mistake most make is to consider the score itself, or CSS itself.

CSS is calculated taking into account -
1. SSS
2. the % players playing to their buffer zone score in the field

the latter figures are tweaked based on the proportions of the field that are in lower handicap categories (because confidence in the statistical value of the results increases).

an example might help, but this is off the top of my head so the numbers won't be spot on - the principles the important thing!

SSS 70 / par 70 100 players with a handicap of 15 play.

if between about 30 and 50 of them score 33 points or more the CSS will be 70, less and it starts to go up.

it doesn't matter if they all get 33, or that they all get 40 - completely irrelevant.