Sound Bar For LG TV

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've decided to get a sound bar for our TV. I'm really struggling with some speech in films. It could be the Americans, but hey, a decision has been made. So after a little play in Currys where I connected up to some of their displays and had a listen to some of my music through them, I noticed a Bose Solo 5. You could press a button and listen to some stuff thorough it whilst watching on a TV. I was more impressed with it than the sound bars. Thing is it didn't have a sub woofer.

My questions are:-

Is a sub woofer really needed for TV stuff ?

and

Has anyone out there got a Bose 5 and can they recommend it?

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
not specific to the bose, not seen it. My soundbar is a bar and sub, and i have the bass on the minimum, its too much! Shakes the bloomin house! So unless you are planning on having a rave in the house, i would say a decent quality speaker will be enough without a sub.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a 42" LG and have just been through this. I got the short list to a Bose 5, as you have looked at, and a Panasonic SC-HTE80 sound base. After much debate I went with the Panasonic, solid reviews and a sale price of £74 at Amazon, John Lewis and Currys. Really pleased with it and half the price of the Bose. Well worth it and unless your room is huge it will be plenty and you won't need a bar and sub woofer. Audiophiles may disagree but if your ears are normal its great.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Got a 47" LG/smart tv with a JVC sound bar and sub, LG's are a bit particular when it comes to sound equipment, we had issues with dubbing when we connected with an HDMI cable and were advised to use and optical/audio cable, much much better and the sub sounds beautiful when there's a movie on, a bit annoying for normal tv though but you can turn em off...:thup:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Need one to go with my 49 inch.

£249 seems a lot but the Q does have the bass.

Going to ponder this as can't use he TV till the internet is up and running.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I've got a Samsung 55" and have it paired with the Sony soundbar/Sub I bought about a year ago.
Its "okay" but I do miss having surround sound.
Now looking at one of these...
http://www.whathifi.com/philips/fidelio-b5/review

Seems like a "simple" solution to the age old problems of wires trailing everywhere and gets very good reviews.
A bit more than I really wanted to spend but the only real alternative is buying a 5.1 system and a receiver and starting all over again on the seperates trail and I don't really want to do that.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just waked away from this http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIyhk9yxntECFdGadwod9zcFSg

£50 in Sainsbury's!

The reason? It's Dolby 2.0 not 2.2

The sound bar I have my eye on is doubly 2.2 and is £80.

The £50 was Bluetooth 3.0 where the £80 is Bluetooth 2.1, I have. I idea what effect that will have though but it's the reason I'm regretting walking away from the Panasonic. Both are 80 watt.

£75 down to £50, Bluetooth 3.0. Was I mad?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a 42" LG and have just been through this. I got the short list to a Bose 5, as you have looked at, and a Panasonic SC-HTE80 sound base. After much debate I went with the Panasonic, solid reviews and a sale price of £74 at Amazon, John Lewis and Currys. Really pleased with it and half the price of the Bose. Well worth it and unless your room is huge it will be plenty and you won't need a bar and sub woofer. Audiophiles may disagree but if your ears are normal its great.

Out of stock at PC world. Not surprising at that price. Probably won't be getting any more either. It's looking like the Bose now.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
They have been going up and down in price, in and out of stock since the beginning of November. I know as I tracked them for weeks before pulling the trigger. Every few days they change.

I don't think you will regret going for the Bose, any Bose product, but if you really fancy the Panasonic then I'd give it a few more days still.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
They have been going up and down in price, in and out of stock since the beginning of November. I know as I tracked them for weeks before pulling the trigger. Every few days they change.

I don't think you will regret going for the Bose, any Bose product, but if you really fancy the Panasonic then I'd give it a few more days still.

I'm holding off until Monday at least, not going to watch too much TV for a few days. Party party!!! What's 2.0 2.1 2.2 ??? I don't fancy a two piece thing either.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Just waked away from this http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIyhk9yxntECFdGadwod9zcFSg

£50 in Sainsbury's!

The reason? It's Dolby 2.0 not 2.2

The sound bar I have my eye on is doubly 2.2 and is £80.

The £50 was Bluetooth 3.0 where the £80 is Bluetooth 2.1, I have. I idea what effect that will have though but it's the reason I'm regretting walking away from the Panasonic. Both are 80 watt.

£75 down to £50, Bluetooth 3.0. Was I mad?

???????
The 2.0 you refer to are the number of channels.
2.0 is a two channel system (without the sub).
2.1 includes a sub