Sound Bar / Box not connecting

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a Panasonic sound box connected by hdmi cable to an LG TV. TV is 6yrs old, box is about a month younger. All has worked well until the last week.

Normally I turn the TV on and the box wakes automatically and the sound goes through it. For the last week it has not been waking and I have had to manually turn it on. Yesterday I did the same but the sound would not go through it and I had to revert to the TV speakers, horrible tinny things.

I have changed the hdmi cable but that makes no difference. I checked the TV and it is set for the sound to go through the speakers still.

We have a rubbish Toshiba TV upstairs and plugged it into that. Same outcome but that may be because the TV is uber basic, although it did have a hdmi connection still.

Any ideas? Is it likely to be the TV or the sound box?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does the box have other connectors on it
e.g standard phono sockets.
mini jack plug
If you have the appropriate cable try going from the TVs headphone socket or from your phones headphone socket to the soundbar.
if the sound bar has a DIN socket - time for a new sound bar:ROFLMAO:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does the box have other connectors on it
e.g standard phono sockets.
mini jack plug
If you have the appropriate cable try going from the TVs headphone socket or from your phones headphone socket to the soundbar.
if the sound bar has a DIN socket - time for a new sound bar:ROFLMAO:
It has a digital audio in socket, is that optical connection?, and aux in. I don't have either cable to try though..

Your last point may be valid still ?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounding like a new one is required then.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions ?
Have you tried using a "technical adjuster";)

Joking aside, could you not try connecting it to a friends tv to see if it works then from a different supply? At least you would know its not the tv..hopefully:)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It has a digital audio in socket, is that optical connection?, and aux in. I don't have either cable to try though..

Your last point may be valid still ?

If you have aux in have you got any headphone sets around with a microphone or any microphones on their own?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have you tried using a "technical adjuster";)

Joking aside, could you not try connecting it to a friends tv to see if it works then from a different supply? At least you would know its not the tv..hopefully:)
In normal circumstances I would do that but sadly popping round to someone else's house now is not really the right thing to do ?. Can I hang on until lockdown is over ?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In normal circumstances I would do that but sadly popping round to someone else's house now is not really the right thing to do ?. Can I hang on until lockdown is over ?
Sorry, how stupid of me to forget that....:(
If you have optical in, and an optical out from the TV how about trying an optical lead from somewhere that will deliver?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry, how stupid of me to forget that....:(
If you have optical in, and an optical out from the TV how about trying an optical lead from somewhere that will deliver?

I'm impressed you managed to forget anything about all of this, even for a moment. Fair play to you ?

That is worth trying, worth a punt.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
And to make it worse, I've got a spare soundbase in the spare bedroom doing nothing, you could have had it if it wasn't for the lockdown ?
??. Thanks for the offer though ?

I've ordered an optical cable to see if it is that connection that is dodgy. If not I can use it on the bars replacement. If it is that then it is a few quid well spent, they are not expensive. Coming Tuesday hopefully.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Might as well ask on this thread if that's alright , how much do we need to spend to get a decent enough bluetooth soundbar?

For a TV?
I think I'd be confident in saying the majority of modern soundbars have Bluetooth connectivity.
If you're asking how much for a decent soundbar then I'm not your man, there's a few audiophiles on here though I think ?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Might as well ask on this thread if that's alright , how much do we need to spend to get a decent enough bluetooth soundbar?
Like all questions relating to audio, it depends what you personally determine to be good sound quality? Up to a couple of hundred quid should suit most peoples needs. Two to four hundred should get what most people will regard as very good quality - but if you are an audio aficionado, then you can spend silly money.

Have a browse around https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home-cinema/soundbars.html?soundbar_soundbase=3705