Any TV experts?

Blakey

Medal Winner
Visit site
Mainly sports and films. Very rarely watch TV live and in fact we've ditched the aerial and just use a fire stick to stream terrestrial TV. Hence my interest in an Android based TV, although this does not rule out other smart options and I can stream via a shield too. Currently have a 5 year old Samsung and find the lack of black annoying , trying to watch anything dark is pure guess work. No need to worry about sound as I have a Yamaha sound bar and sub.
Viewing distance is around 2.5m so according to chart I've seen would be a 60 inch, but TVs seem to jump from 55->65 with not much inbetween, so I'd rather not for a higher spec 55 with my 1k budget.

i have a Samsung 55' and the viewing distance is similar to yours and i wouldn't go any bigger, i actually only wanted a 49' but the spec was better on the 55' so went for that instead.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Didn't spot that, Think I'm still lead ing towards a sony anyway..
If there is a richer sounds in your area that open ask for a viewing the one in Glasgow set up the tv I wanted and let me watch some content I even brought my own usb with a mix of film tv downloads in various formats to see if all would play and it did no issue, I have a qled curved tv and I wish I payed the extra £400 for the oled there is no comparison, also samsung use lg panels but not the oled ones there patented by lg go and have a look is my best advice, also have a look at the Philip's abilight ones superb pic but the ambilight is somthing special for movies and music

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
If there is a richer sounds in your area that open ask for a viewing the one in Glasgow set up the tv I wanted and let me watch some content I even brought my own usb with a mix of film tv downloads in various formats to see if all would play and it did no issue, I have a qled curved tv and I wish I payed the extra £400 for the oled there is no comparison, also samsung use lg panels but not the oled ones there patented by lg go and have a look is my best advice, also have a look at the Philip's abilight ones superb pic but the ambilight is somthing special for movies and music

Absolutely, RS are great at letting you try different things out on their stuff. You will sometimes have to book it in though as they can be busy.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Absolutely, RS are great at letting you try different things out on their stuff. You will sometimes have to book it in though as they can be busy.
I walked in off the street and the guy said come back tomorrow and they will have that and another set up for me, guys were great, I also bumped it on the way up the stairs and had a White spot on the bottom on the screen, they swapped it with no issues, same day

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I buy most of my gear from Curry's (unless it is massively cheaper elsewhere) and I've never had a problem with them.
Funny old world.

Can’t stand Currys, avoid them unless I know exactly the item I want to buy and what I am paying for it. Usually now I just want to get my hands on it first, see its size etc and then buy if happy. If not I go home (hasn’t happened yet as I am confident I want that specific item, just need to see it first).

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Richer sounds will price match if they have that model, there 5 year warranty is superb too

I'll give them a ring, usually.the don't price match Currys as the warranty isn't as good, but we'll see what they say.

RS dont stock this anyway, so not an option :(

Last edited:

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
That's a ashame I'd still go for it even at currys, alsonif you ever have an issue with your tv contact the manufacturer not the store, 9/10 they BER the tv and you get to pick a newer model

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Just out of interest how much is screen burn an issue with oled's ?
I'm on my 2nd OLED and not had a problem with either of them.
Screen burn "can" be an issue if you watch a lot of programmes with brightly coloured static logos or tickertape effects (some Sky channels for instance) or play a lot of games with brightly coloured HUD's.
I don't do either so feel pretty confident I'll not encounter it.
My LG has the ability in the settings menu to turn down the brightness of Logos and also has a moving screensaver that cuts in automatically if there is a period of inactivity on the screen for a few minutes.
It also has a pixel refresher that comes on automatically during shutdown after every 4 hours of use.
So the manufacturers are doing their best to help alleviate the problem.
For me (at least) the benefits of OLED far outweigh any of the possible drawbacks.
Blacks really are BLACK, not a shade of grey. And because the blacks are black, it makes everything else "pop". It's difficult to explain, but once you have experienced it, you'll see what I mean.
I change my TV's far too regularly. Drives the Missus mad. But to me it's no different to changing my golf clubs every couple of years, although it's a tad more expensive.
I will most probably be changing again next year, just because "I can". But one thing's for sure. It will be for another OLED. 100% guaranteed.
(y)(y)(y)(y)

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site