Any TV experts?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
OLED’s have a much better picture if viewing from a decent angle. You can get a decent tv for around £1000 if you are buying what is now considered as a small screen. 43 inch used to be considered huge, now small.:eek: Have a look at the different prices 55, 65 and 75 inch screens. Considerable increase in price as screen gets bigger. Personally think a budget of £1000 would get you a great 49/55 inch Led and £1200 for an Oled. For £20000 you can a nice tv that you roll out.:eek:

With new models comimg out, there should be some good deal on 2019 models. Like golf clubs has technology improved that much in the last year, that the majority of tv viewers would notice ?:unsure:

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone any experience or thoughts on a Philips 50PUS8804 (2019) LED HDR 4K Ultra HD?

Given that the sound aspect is important, a build in B & W sound bar has a certain appeal.

No direct experience of this LED tv but have had a look at specs and reviews. Like that it supports most HDR modes, including Dolby Vision. Also backlit too meaning it should have lower haloing on axis compared to edge lit TVs. OS seems to be Android which is not everyone’s cup of tea. I have it on my Sony and ok with it. Ambilight is a plus to help with perceived contrast.

Obviously this tv is geared for sound with the B&W integrated sound bar at bottom. I think this one can process Dolby Atmos? Interesting to see how this works with the bar at the bottom as DA is geared to height sounds.

Check off axis viewing to see if picture fall off is fine.

Price is nice at around 600.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is what I meant.

I do not have a 4k source and reading several reviews of some makes and the upscaling of HD put me off buying a 4k TV (as well as saving £200 as a major part of the decision)

I can see why you say that. If the HD source is good quality then the upscaling to 4K looks near 4k. If the tv is large, such as over 60, then good up scaling and 4K source becomes more important.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
OLED’s have a much better picture if viewing from a decent angle. You can get a decent tv for around £1000 if you are buying what is now considered as a small screen. 43 inch used to be considered huge, now small.:eek: Have a look at the different prices 55, 65 and 75 inch screens. Considerable increase in price as screen gets bigger. Personally think a budget of £1000 would get you a great 49/55 inch Led and £1200 for an Oled. For £20000 you can a nice tv that you roll out.:eek:

With new models comimg out, there should be some good deal on 2019 models. Like golf clubs has technology improved that much in the last year, that the majority of tv viewers would notice ?:unsure:

Depends what you mean by better picture. Top tier LEDs are unrivalled when it comes to HDR pictures as they have the current brightness horse power to bring pop to brights that current OLEDs just can’t do. Conversely OLED blacks are best as they are a passive tech meaning the pixels switch off totally.

Where I agree is OLEDs retain their picture quality better off angle. Very latest LEDs from Sony are better than before due to wide angle filter...but at the expense of haloing on axis and contrast.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I was considering buying either LG 55 inch Oled or similar size Sony 9505 Led. Viewed from the side the Oled was considerably better, but as it was not a major concern wil go with the Led. My budget was similar to BiM so can only comment on tvs in my price range.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The 3D TV is a Panasonic of some description, about 36" and with a relatively wide surround.

You are going to spot the difference straight away with a more up to date TV.
I used to have a 50" Panasonic and the "Bezel" (or frame) was really thick. I passed it on to my daughter who still has it, and it looks massive in comparison to my current 65" LG due to the latest designs of very thin, almost non existent bezels.
You have mentioned on more than one occasion Rich that your main criteria is picture quality and motion handling. On that basis alone I'd stick with my original recommendation of Sony mate. Nobody does it better than them.
I've had a number of sets over the years, (I change my TV's like some people change their golf clubs), usually buying a new one every 2 years. I had a 49" Sony and was very, very happy with it. I only changed it because I wanted a bigger screen and swapped it out to a 55" Samsung KS7000. This was also a very good set but I reckon the Sony had the better picture (just). I've finally reached the point where I can go no bigger with my sets. 65" is the maximum we can comfortably go to in our living room.
I reckon if you went for the Sony you'd not even think "if only we'd bought the Philips".... but if you go for the Philips I can almost guarantee that at some point you will wish you bought the Sony......

Having watched a few YouTube vids of the Philips set you mention Rich, more time is spent banging on about the Bowers & Wilkins built in soundbar rather than the visual aspects of the panel they use. That's one expensive sound bar mate.....;););)

Last edited:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
You are going to spot the difference straight away with a more up to date TV.
I used to have a 50" Panasonic and the "Bezel" (or frame) was really thick. I passed it on to my daughter who still has it, and it looks massive in comparison to my current 65" LG due to the latest designs of very thin, almost non existent bezels.
You have mentioned on more than one occasion Rich that your main criteria is picture quality and motion handling. On that basis alone I'd stick with my original recommendation of Sony mate. Nobody does it better than them.
I've had a number of sets over the years, (I change my TV's like some people change their golf clubs), usually buying a new one every 2 years. I had a 49" Sony and was very, very happy with it. I only changed it because I wanted a bigger screen and swapped it out to a 55" Samsung KS7000. This was also a very good set but I reckon the Sony had the better picture (just). I've finally reached the point where I can go no bigger with my sets. 65" is the maximum we can comfortably go to in our living room.
I reckon if you went for the Sony you'd not even think "if only we'd bought the Philips".... but if you go for the Philips I can almost guarantee that at some point you will wish you bought the Sony......

Having watched a few YouTube vids of the Philips set you mention Rich, more time is spent banging on about the Bowers & Wilkins built in soundbar rather than the visual aspects of the panel they use. That's one expensive sound bar mate.....;););)

Appreciate the comments Smiffy, and you're right; my main criteria is picture quality, but that doesn't mean that it's the criteria on which the final decision will be made... :( John Bishop got it right on Wednesday when he explained compromise ;)

As regards the size, a 43" is practically the same physical size as the existing 3D one with the QTV2 bolted on; notice the one piece trend again.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acoustics-QTV2-BLACK-Channel-Sound-Enhancer-Black/dp/B002SZGGQC

Might have a look this afrernoon (y)

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Sony 49XG9005 is an excellent tv at around £900. High up in top tens for this price in reviews. I would say it’s more about the picture quality than sound though, imho. Also the duck feet stand isn’t everyone’s cup o tea. For Sony tv, to help, the higher the number the more features; e.g. XG95 v XG90 v XG80 v XG70, etc.

Other TV to consider would be Samsung 49Q70 at around £750.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
IMO 4K is the next 3D TV.

Standard 1080p is good enough if the content is good.

Not likely, there's so much stuff being made in 4k and HDR nowadays it's here for a while (until 8K comes along, and I have doubts about that!)
Also I don't think there are any 1080p screens still being made above 49 inch, they're all 4K.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking at replacing the mistake that was the 3D TV with a 43" or 49" 4K TV. 43" might sit better in the room size was but I understand that some of the better tech starts at 49".

Most important feature is picture quality, will be used primarily for sports, films & music. Prefer decent sound with it but understand I might have to add a sound bar (no sub woofer, nowhere to stand it).

Recommendations please.

Thanks in anticipation.

Just remembered to add. When I changed last year the recommendation was that you need to increase screen size if you are switching from HD to UHD. It is worth checking recommended
viewing distances verses distance away from the screen.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The amount of information is mind boggling, can anyone recommend if this will be an upgrade from HD to 4k, we primarily watch football and golf pretty much most of the time with a few films and trash tv thrown in for the wife.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/uhdtv-ru7020/UE75RU7020KXXU/

Pretty much bang on my budget, I've got a 55inch but would like to get the biggest I can as the room is a big size.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Sony 49XG9005 is an excellent tv at around £900. High up in top tens for this price in reviews. I would say it’s more about the picture quality than sound though, imho. Also the duck feet stand isn’t everyone’s cup o tea. For Sony tv, to help, the higher the number the more features; e.g. XG95 v XG90 v XG80 v XG70, etc.

Other TV to consider would be Samsung 49Q70 at around £750.

I'm thinking of purchasing this :

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/all-tvs/sony-bravia-kd55xh8196bu.html

Anthing I should consider.

Was thinking of 60 inch screen but it seems its 55 or 65, which I think would be too large for the room.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm thinking of purchasing this :

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/all-tvs/sony-bravia-kd55xh8196bu.html

Anthing I should consider.

Was thinking of 60 inch screen but it seems its 55 or 65, which I think would be too large for the room.

Nice TV, this year's model (denoted by the "H"). Fits in the mid range of their LCDs => https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/tv/t/televisions

Golden rule of TV size - measure up what you think is the right size, then go one up...unless there are constraints of course! You want to see the 4k detail!

Many things to consider - what are you buying the TV for? e.g. sports, then you want a TV that can handle fast motion (Sony are great). Or do you need wide viewing angle to cater for lots of people (good spec Samsung and OLEDs have the best angle). Movie watcher? Then think about whether you want a TV with great blacks (OLED) or excellent HDR pop (top end LCDs). Also consider the OS - manufacturers run different OS. Some don't like Sony's Android for example. If you have lots of AV, DVDs or gaming stuff that require HDMI, make sure there are sufficient ports and where they are located. Check out the sound too - don't want a whimpy TV!

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nice TV, this year's model (denoted by the "H"). Fits in the mid range of their LCDs => https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/tv/t/televisions

Golden rule of TV size - measure up what you think is the right size, then go one up...unless there are constraints of course! You want to see the 4k detail!

Many things to consider - what are you buying the TV for? e.g. sports, then you want a TV that can handle fast motion (Sony are great). Or do you need wide viewing angle to cater for lots of people (good spec Samsung and OLEDs have the best angle). Movie watcher? Then think about whether you want a TV with great blacks (OLED) or excellent HDR pop (top end LCDs). Also consider the OS - manufacturers run different OS. Some don't like Sony's Android for example. If you have lots of AV, DVDs or gaming stuff that require HDMI, make sure there are sufficient ports and where they are located. Check out the sound too - don't want a whimpy TV!

Thanks plenty to think about ?

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
If your budget will stretch to an oled that's the one you should be going for, nothing compares to them for picture quality across the board

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Mainly sports and films. Very rarely watch TV live and in fact we've ditched the aerial and just use a fire stick to stream terrestrial TV. Hence my interest in an Android based TV, although this does not rule out other smart options and I can stream via a shield too. Currently have a 5 year old Samsung and find the lack of black annoying , trying to watch anything dark is pure guess work. No need to worry about sound as I have a Yamaha sound bar and sub.
Viewing distance is around 2.5m so according to chart I've seen would be a 60 inch, but TVs seem to jump from 55->65 with not much inbetween, so I'd rather not for a higher spec 55 with my 1k budget.

Last edited: