Any TV experts?

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Suggest if you want to get really in to TVs and debunk some of the common misunderstandings, check out Vincent Teoh on YouTube, via HDTVTest, and see Home Cinema Choice website. Tells you what is good and bad about OLED, LCDs and QLEDs, and what techologies you get against increasing levels of budget.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can sometimes get a great bargains at Currys for end-of-line TVs, if you know what you are looking for. I got my Sony ZD9 65 inch high end LCD TV from them two years ago, saving myself over £1k. I was just checking out TVs when I spotted it. They wanted it gone and was sold as seen. Even chucked in three high spec HDMI cabling. Came with Sony 5 year warranty. Phenomenal HDR presentation and good blacks. Would I swap it for an OLED? No, not yet thanks.

The Smiffy OLED TV is very good BTW.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
TX 58HX820b, I can potentially get a discount on it. I know they have the LG too. It Its not it stock atm.

Decent mid range TV LCD. Part of their brand new HX800 series for this year - designation 820 is John Lewis exclusive. Edge lit so may exhibit some haloing and light leaking into black bars in film. Blacks won’t be brilliant but better than your Samsung. This TV does support all HDR modes, very rare in TVs now.

Philips OLED 754 at 55 inch maybe worth your attention? Under 1k, has Ambilight. OS though may not be to your liking.

If movies and their blacks are that important for you should look to stretch to an OLED for your budget. You won’t get LCD blacks to get anywhere near OLED ones at 1k.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The Smiffy OLED TV is very good BTW.

I made my head spin before actually pulling the trigger.....
Read/watched numerous reviews, it was between the B9 and the C9 to be honest. But whilst the C9 "might" have had a very slight edge on paper, in the real world the B9 offered the best value for money. I got a 65" version of the B9 for the same price as a 55" version of the C9.
I'm extremely happy.
The only thing that bugs me about LG's is the flakey freeview tuners they use. It was the same with my previous C7.
At the first sign of decent, settled weather I start to lose reception. It was never this bad with my previous Sony or Samsungs. I've had my aerial replaced along with my cabling, this has been checked/double checked and is all spot on.
But it gets so bad that I have to resort to using my Humax FreeSat box, which receives it's reception from my old Sky dish. I used to use this most of the time anyway, until they did away with C4HD.
I can work around it, but it's annoying and always makes me look at other makes of TV but I tend to stick with LG as they have OLED sewn up.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Decent mid range TV LCD. Part of their brand new HX800 series for this year - designation 820 is John Lewis exclusive. Edge lit so may exhibit some haloing and light leaking into black bars in film. Blacks won’t be brilliant but better than your Samsung. This TV does support all HDR modes, very rare in TVs now.

Philips OLED 754 at 55 inch maybe worth your attention? Under 1k, has Ambilight. OS though may not be to your liking.

If movies and their blacks are that important for you should look to stretch to an OLED for your budget. You won’t get LCD blacks to get anywhere near OLED ones at 1k.

Yeah I'm stuck between a 55 oled which some say is too small for my viewing distance and opting for an older 65 LED, Sony XG9505 or XF9005 , being suggested.

It's a shame 60 inch TV are rare as I think this is the size that would suit me best and why the Panny took my eye.

Not the struck with Philip s as I'm trying to avoid Chinese goods.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah I'm stuck between a 55 oled which some say is too small for my viewing distance and opting for an older 65 LED, Sony XG9505 or XF9005 , being suggested.

It's a shame 60 inch TV are rare as I think this is the size that would suit me best and why the Panny took my eye.

Not the struck with Philip s as I'm trying to avoid Chinese goods.

Those Sony’s are their current top LCDs after they retired their Z Master series LCDs recently to focus on OLEDs. Slightly better TVs than the Pana mentioned above, but still blacks won’t be OLED blacks and still some light bleeding and haloing. On the flip size, you will be get better HDR pop and ”whites” as they can produce more nits that the equivalent price OLED. Sounds obvious but it’s what you prefer in a TV....

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Those Sony’s are their current top LCDs after they retired their Z Master series LCDs recently to focus on OLEDs. Slightly better TVs than the Pana mentioned above, but still blacks won’t be OLED blacks and still some light bleeding and haloing. On the flip size, you will be get better HDR pop and ”whites” as they can produce more nits that the equivalent price OLED. Sounds obvious but it’s what you prefer in a TV....

At the moment I think I'll get a.bigger screen LCD but will.have to wait for the right deal when current models.get discounted. Lots of talk of waiting for the black Friday deals.whenever that is ?