Soft and hard caps kicking in following re-rating

tobybarker

Visit site
Well, la-di-da......wg have reset the low indexes so that the caps are not kicking in. But of a glitch in the system that nobody foresaw.

Something to bear in mind if you're course gets rerated.

wjemather

Visit site
Well, la-di-da......wg have reset the low indexes so that the caps are not kicking in. But of a glitch in the system that nobody foresaw.

Something to bear in mind if you're course gets rerated.
There is no glitch. The issue is the discrepancy in ratings - there would have to be massive course changes to result in such a huge difference. Resetting the low indexes hasn't addressed why it happened or verified that the new ratings are actually correct - on the surface, they do appear to be very low for that course.

tobybarker

Visit site
It IS a glitch in my opinion.. ... If the rating is correct then the capping needs to be adjusted. They assure us the rating is correct.. they gully expect readings and slopes of other courses to change as and when they get done.unquote....

wjemather

Visit site
It IS a glitch in my opinion.. ... If the rating is correct then the capping needs to be adjusted. They assure us the rating is correct.. they gully expect readings and slopes of other courses to change as and when they get done.unquote....
Both old and new ratings can't possibly be correct unless the course has been significantly altered since the old rating without being re-rated at the time. The rating system simply hasn't changed that much.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Ours was re-rated a couple of weeks ago. Not sure we have heard anything back from the rating team yet....how long does it take normally?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Both old and new ratings can't possibly be correct unless the course has been significantly altered since the old rating without being re-rated at the time. The rating system simply hasn't changed that much.
I think you are missing Tobybarker's point

What he is saying is that if the course gets rerated historic hard and soft caps need to be reviewed. A glitch in that the system fails to do this automatically.

wjemather

Visit site
I think you are missing Tobybarker's point

What he is saying is that if the course gets rerated historic hard and soft caps need to be reviewed. A glitch in that the system fails to do this automatically.
Not at all. It is wrong to say there is a glitch in the system when the problem lies elsewhere. The system cannot be expected to correct for faulty data (in this case, the course ratings).

If correct, ratings will not change sufficiently to bring caps into play. There is no glitch in the system; there is either an issue with the old/new ratings that were/are wrong, or there has been an oversight by the club in changing the course without getting re-rated at the time.

Resetting LHIs does not address the root cause or ensure the new ratings are actually correct.

Last edited:

tobybarker

Visit site
Not at all. It is wrong to say there is a glitch in the system when the problem lies elsewhere. The system cannot be expected to correct for faulty data (in this case, the course ratings).

If correct, ratings will not change sufficiently to bring caps into play. There is no glitch in the system; there is either an issue with the old/new ratings that were/are wrong, or there has been an oversight by the club in changing the course without getting re-rated at the time.

Resetting LHIs does not address the root cause or ensure the new ratings are actually correct.
We don't know if the rating is wrong. All I'm saying is that if the rating changes for whatever reason then the cap system should pick up the fact. Glitch.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely the rating was wrong at some point? Otherwise, how could it change so much, whilst the course remains the same?
Ours is getting done on Monday.
Be interesting to see outcome.
Our has gone from 71.7 slope 129.
To 71.7 slope 120.
Course hasn’t changed at all. ??

So one rating is miles out, I’m very surprised it’s that low it’s quite a difficult course.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
To 71.7 slope 120.

So one rating is miles out, I’m very surprised it’s that low it’s quite a difficult course.
Seemingly the Bogey Rating has changed. I suggest you ask the county what has caused it. They will (should) have both sets of documents. If not EG will.
How long since you last had it rated?

wjemather

Visit site
To 71.7 slope 120.

Didn't you say the rough is much lower than it used to be? Any changes like that, making for easier recovery shots, will lower the Slope rating.

Last edited:

D-S

Visit site
If the rough is significantly lower on the entire course, wouldn’t this have an impact, albeit smaller, on the CR as well as the Slope?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Ours was re-rated a couple of weeks ago. Not sure we have heard anything back from the rating team yet....how long does it take normally?
I can see the results of our re-rating on the National Course Rating Database. Changes are subtle. Par is 70 for all sets of tees.

GENDER/TEESOLD CRNew CROLD SLOPENEW SLOPE
Male - White68.769.0124120
Male - Yellow67.367.7119118
Female - Red69.970.0121117
Female - Yellow (new)-72.7-123
Male - Red (new)-64.5-115

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Didn't you say the rough is much lower than it used to be? Any changes like that, making for easier recovery shots, will lower the Slope rating.
Normally yes but this season it’s been much longer.
The members can’t belive it.
No explanation yet.

Local courses that are miles easier are now rated harder than ours.
Most members are moaning now about losing shots.