Soft and hard caps kicking in following re-rating

tobybarker

Visit site
Our course was re-rated in the back end of 2023 such that the slope and CR went down. Our soft and hard caps are now all kicking in which stops people bothering with GP cards (rightly or wrongly). Is this a fault in "the system" and should the caps get reset in some way (and how)?

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Our course was re-rated in the back end of 2023 such that the slope and CR went down. Our soft and hard caps are now all kicking in which stops people bothering with GP cards (rightly or wrongly). Is this a fault in "the system" and should the caps get reset in some way (and how)?
Wow, never considered that.

My club in South Africa has had the course rerated following the building of a lake. They thought it would be harder but it is now considered easier. Looking at a score of 94 last March, I'll now have to shoot 90 to get the same differential. Or, put another way, a 94 will result in the differential being 3.8 higher.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

My club in South Africa has had the course rerated following the building of a lake. They thought it would be harder but it is now considered easier. Looking at a score of 94 last March, I'll now have to shoot 90 to get the same differential. Or, put another way, a 94 will result in the differential being 3.8 higher.
How can a body of water make a course easier?

I genuinely would like to know!

tobybarker

Visit site

which is why your index will creep up as you submit cards....which is why you hit your caps sooner

tobybarker

Visit site
It's now likely your ratings team use the new system whereby things like lakes, and you know .. Difficult things.... Make next to no difference... It's all about landing areas.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure, but wales golf told us we were one of the first in the region to suffer it.....
My understanding was that all members of CONGU (except the EGU before the merger with EWGA) had been using the USGA rating system for at least ten years.
But if I was wrong about Wales, they must have changed a few years before WHS to have been able to determine slope. What system would they have used prior to WHS (perhaps the EGU's SSS? That was similar to the USGA's but less sophisticated and without Bogey rating)

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bonkers how can something you can lose your ball in make it easier.
Where would the shot before you have to clear the water have landed? How far would you have to carry to clear the water? It's only difficult if you can't carry far enough.
Incidentally, where is the fairway? Hopefully not the scratty area in the foreground.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The slope change would be irrelevant as scores are de-sloped for a players handicap record.

Have you checked your record to see if all older scores have been adjusted for the change in CR.

One of the things I have noticed (it could be my imagination) with CR- par is that there are now a lot of PCCs that I do not remember being there.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Where would the shot before you have to clear the water have landed? How far would you have to carry to clear the water? It's only difficult if you can't carry far enough.
Incidentally, where is the fairway? Hopefully not the scratty area in the foreground.
Last time I played it was still all ground under repair as it wasn't quite complete and the fences had just come down so I've never played over the water. The fairway is to the right. The photo was probably done with a 'phone so the wide angle lens has really distorted the foreground versus the distance.

tobybarker

Visit site
The slope change would be irrelevant as scores are de-sloped for a players handicap record.

Have you checked your record to see if all older scores have been adjusted for the change in CR.

One of the things I have noticed (it could be my imagination) with CR- par is that there are now a lot of PCCs that I do not remember being there.
But our adjusted gross scores will be desloped by a different slope than before..... So we're bound to end up with different indexes given the same gross.

tobybarker

Visit site
Exactly... Which means your index has kind of shifted in direction without you doing any better (or worse, depending on which way the cr went). Which means you read s cap sooner. Or this is how my brain interpreted it