Sock gate (again)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
To a degree I have little sympathy. If I was playing another course and wanted to wear shorts I'd be checking their dress code online and making sure I stuck to it. Yes, the rule is daft and archaic but no-one would have turned up at Sunningdale or The Addington and broken the rules as they wanted to play the course. If you want to play, check the rules. It isn't hard

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s been posted a few times

It’s the same simple answer as before

Check the dress code before going to save embarrassment, if you don’t agree to said dress code then play somewhere else. It’s their club and it’s up to them what dress code they want. It’s the same with going to restaurants that require a certain dress standard - either abide by the standard or go elsewhere. People don’t stop taking up golf because they aren’t allowed to wear black socks

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
To a degree I have little sympathy. If I was playing another course and wanted to wear shorts I'd be checking their dress code online and making sure I stuck to it. Yes, the rule is daft and archaic but no-one would have turned up at Sunningdale or The Addington and broken the rules as they wanted to play the course. If you want to play, check the rules. It isn't hard

I agree pretty much. The rule is silly and definitely doesn't help argue against the "golf is pompous" image. But given the website (I've just had a look!) says so, the article mentions a sign outside the pro shop and the fact he says he's been playing 25 years and hadn't heard of the rule, you have to side with the club really!

If you want to play the course, abide by their rules. Simple really!

Hitdaball

Visit site
Nobody has still been able to adequately explain why there is a necessity for white socks and, apart from the fashion faux Pas, what is so obnoxious about black ones.
If you wanted a rule for non-golfers to look at and go " You what??" this is it.
So...can someone explain why clubs have this rule?

Because someone decided in 1850 it was a good idea?

Wolf

Visit site
Just seen this made me chuckle as that's my dad's club and where I grew up. They've always had that rule, it is on the website and it does state it outside the pro shop so whether it's a good or bad rule is irrelevant he had plenty of chances to know it beforehand plus that picture is the 1st tee so at least he was given the chance before teeing off to sort it and not asked to leave the course.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree pretty much. The rule is silly and definitely doesn't help argue against the "golf is pompous" image. But given the website (I've just had a look!) says so, the article mentions a sign outside the pro shop and the fact he says he's been playing 25 years and hadn't heard of the rule, you have to side with the club really!

If you want to play the course, abide by their rules. Simple really!
Exactly. Hardly the most expensive item of clothing and simply abide by the rules for a stress free visit to any club

Hitdaball

Visit site
That's as good as anyone's come up with so far...(y)

Full disclosure we have the same rule at our club. It’s makes it no less nonsense.

Related - I had a hard time not laughing and pointing at the long hooped socks round Brancaster worn by some members when I played there.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Nobody has still been able to adequately explain why there is a necessity for white socks and, apart from the fashion faux Pas, what is so obnoxious about black ones.
If you wanted a rule for non-golfers to look at and go " You what??" this is it.
So...can someone explain why clubs have this rule?

There really is no sensible explanation.
Just look at some of clothing worn by the pros,yet we need to wear white socks at certain courses.

When people say “thems the rules” it basically means they have no idea why such a silly rule is in place 😆

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
What a joke, sadly the same old apologists will be out saying its the club rule blah blah, you dont have to play there blah blah.

Clubs going bust, playing numbers in decline, but at least the socks are good ;)

D

Deleted member 15344

What a joke, sadly the same old apologists will be out saying its the club rule blah blah, you dont have to play there blah blah.

Clubs going bust, playing numbers in decline, but at least the socks are good ;)
No club will go bust because of a sock rule or indeed any dress code and number declining ? Again not because of dress codes

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How do you know that stuffy rules like this don’t put people off taking up the game?
Really? I think if you are taking up the game then chances are you'll go down the pay and play/municipal route as a lot of us did. A lot of these (not all of course) seem to be more relaxed. I can think of a host of reasons why the game may struggle to attract new participants but white socks isn't one of them

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Really? I think if you are taking up the game then chances are you'll go down the pay and play/municipal route as a lot of us did. A lot of these (not all of course) seem to be more relaxed. I can think of a host of reasons why the game may struggle to attract new participants but white socks isn't one of them
no. but stories like this live in the memory and non golfers think this stuff is common.
The game has an image problem, or maybe it doesnnt depending on your dress code, sock and blazer point of view.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Think you missed the point their Homer