Snow Watch

U

User62651

Quite odd listening to and seeing on tv the crazy weather elsewhere when we have nothing, a skiff overnight that is gone now. Very chilly wind though.

Good to see a bit of Dunkirk spirit going on with ordinary folks taking food and water to stranded motorists, fair play to these kind people.
You do have to wonder however why so many people choose to ignore warnings and head out in vehicles anyway, then get stuck for 10 hours, act surprised and some even rant about this, that and the next thing when ultimately they chose to ignore sound advice.........madness imo.:eek:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Currently 2hrs of non-stop snow which is getting heavier and heavier and the forecast is it will continue well into the night!

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Snowing heavy in London now.

I got my feet up, plenty of supplies in and as long as Sky golf keeps working I am in and happy for the weekend

Wish more people would be sensible and stay in, unless it is absolutely necessary should not be taking long trips, end up clogging up the roads and stretching emergency services when things go wrong.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Freezing rain

It was interesting watching the rain last night because I swear you could actually see it turn to ice the second it hit the snow.

I made a brief excursion in to my garden this afternoon and the top half an inch was just a sheet of ice.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had to defrost the condensate pipe from the boiler this morning, but otherwise we have a slow thaw on the go, hopefully by Monday we should =have some semblance of normality again. Most of the main roads around here are clear A1(M) and the A69 for a good few miles, but go up passed Morpeth on the A1 and you're hitting road closures.

Lets get the thaw going, I see the forecast for down south is double figures for next week, so next we'll all be hearing all about the floods.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Freezing rain

It was interesting watching the rain last night because I swear you could actually see it turn to ice the second it hit the snow.

I made a brief excursion in to my garden this afternoon and the top half an inch was just a sheet of ice.

Our cats are the only things to have ventured outside to day. They had two minutes of gingerly skidding around before they came back inside.

Even the gravel path is a sheet of ice. It looks like the gravel has been encased in a layer of clear resin.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Heavy snow mid afternoon in Berkshire but the roads in the main much better than yesterday. The side roads were slushy and so a bit slippery in places but the A329M was fine. In the estate it was a different matter. Snow falling on top of frozen snow from yesterday may the final stretch risky. Safe journey to those still out and needing to travel and be careful this weekend. Not sure I'll be venturing far as the range is apparently closed and the course might be a tad out of commission for the foreseeable

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Serious cabin fever here but so bleak I'm not keen to break cover! Out twice today - once with the dogs who seem to love it and can't get enough...need to keep their chins clear of icicles though! Then a trudge to the village store for essentials - milk, bread and chocolate.

Just enough snow to make it tricky and windchill worse than I've ever known it. Hoping the forecast for Sunday to get above zero is correct.

Good news is we are meant to get the late oil delivery tomorrow - "weather permitting"!

D

Deleted member 15344

This weather is horrible

My neighbour is a 87 year old women
Chapped her door to make sure she was ok

I Asked her if she needed anything from the shop
She said bread and milk

So Gave her my list

No point in both us going out in this weather

Pin-seeker

Visit site
This weather is horrible

My neighbour is a 87 year old women
Chapped her door to make sure she was ok

I Asked her if she needed anything from the shop
She said bread and milk

So Gave her my list

No point in both us going out in this weather

Hope she didn’t forget your Horlicks & garibaldis 😁

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Put the orange and yellow balls in the bag because as it stands a few of us are planning on going out tomorrow. Not been up the club but all our snow has cleared at sea level, the course however is a good 100 - 150 foot higher.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had to defrost the condensate pipe from the boiler this morning, .

When I had the new boiler installed a few years ago I made sure that the plumber connected the condensate pipe to the drainage system inside the house. I had known about the problems before hand

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No new snow here but no thaw either. Main roads are okay but side roads are bad still. Many rural places are cut off, drifts were the big problem.

Big observation over the last few days was that people ignored the advice given, particularly in areas that are notorious for problems. M62, really? Horrible stretch of road, was everyone on there making 'essential' journeys? Same for people travelling in areas where the met office gave red warnings. People need to engage their brains more.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I went out the house for the first time since weds morning. Local roads are starting to clear, made the walking very easy because cars had worn the snow away enough to see the tarmac. and the main road through the village very clear.

Local shops totally devoid of bread or similar and no vegetables or fruit. At least I could replenish the wine stocks.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Massive thaw with us today but not enough to save our first big all club comp that was scheduled for tomorrow. Now will happen when they can get a slot for it later in the season.

Though might just be able to get out on Monday but it will be back to splish-splashing around again. British weather is so depressing and unpredictable. :(

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Awoke yesterday by eldest child informing me that the kitchen was flooded. Hot water cylinder corroded through so not repairable. No heating or hot water, so down to the golf club for a hot shower. Thaw is underway maybe Monday’s comp will go ahead.