Snow Watch

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just down the road from you Moogie and a slow thaw as set in, a bit of sleet and wet snow, but still quite a depth to melt away. Unless the temp comes up a lot, we'll still have snow coverage till Tuesday possibly Wednesday, courses that drain well may open for the weekend, but others may be a tad longer, if the green staff have any sense.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Morpeth, Northumberland, about 15 miles north of Newcastle. I know Rudebhoy is not far away, Whitley Bay, so I was enthused by his comments of a thaw. Not happening here but he is on the coast so it is usually a degree or two warmer than inland in the winter. The weather is on the edge of rain or snow and a degree or two difference is all you need.

When are you lads going to Turnbery?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Morpeth, Northumberland, about 15 miles north of Newcastle. I know Rudebhoy is not far away, Whitley Bay, so I was enthused by his comments of a thaw. Not happening here but he is on the coast so it is usually a degree or two warmer than inland in the winter. The weather is on the edge of rain or snow and a degree or two difference is all you need.

When are you lads going to Turnbery?

Two weeks yesterday................

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
The committee decided they were fed up with people complaining the course should be open when it was closed, or vice versa, so they decided to "let the course police itself" in their words. The view is that if the course is really bad, no-one will want to play it, so no real harm done.

Not a decision I agree with, but there you go.

Yes, there’s a couple of other local clubs have the same rule
I still find it daft, just means people are out there playing when the courses should be shut, committee scared to shut courses, Incase members leave, all to the detriment of the course.

The course pays the price
Takes longer to recover and get right for the season

I can’t see me getting a game until the Silloth forum meet on 16th.....

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yes, there’s a couple of other local clubs have the same rule
I still find it daft, just means people are out there playing when the courses should be shut, committee scared to shut courses, Incase members leave, all to the detriment of the course.

The course pays the price
Takes longer to recover and get right for the season

I can’t see me getting a game until the Silloth forum meet on 16th.....

the other downside is that it damages the reputation of the course/club.

a couple of weeks ago it absolutely chucked it down. Lots of nearby courses were shut, and I heard we had visitors from Blyth and Ponteland come down for a game because we were open.

It was very wet with loads of big puddles, and they must have gone away with a poor impression of our place, and could well have felt a bit ripped off.

If if we are going to stay open, then it should be for members only on really bad days imo.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Wandered to the club lunchtime and had a little stroll out on the course. Snow still in a few bunkers buts predominantly clear on the course but ever so wet and standing water here and there. Not surprising really. Practice ground looked very wet and more lying snow than I'd have thought. Putting green still a little frozen but that's always in the shade and doesn't get a lot of sun.

Talk is inspecting the the morning with a view to getting the front nine open (higher of the two and drains better) and reviewing the back nine midweek. Hoping it should be fully open for the weekend so I can get out and play and finally get my new I series irons into play. I do feel for those still struggling and the news pictures last night of the drifts and reports of more snow today make me realise how lucky we were in Berkshire in comparison.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Just had a good long blast of rain and the suns now out, plus green pockets of my lawn can now be seen 😎

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The Grove looked open today. Snow all gone, pins back in. Pro shop open. Went to the stables restaurant for lunch, so walked up the drive. The course looked a touch wet though, playable, but not in the A1 condition it normally is. No surprise given the snow.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The Grove looked open today. Snow all gone, pins back in. Pro shop open. Went to the stables restaurant for lunch, so walked up the drive. The course looked a touch wet though, playable, but not in the A1 condition it normally is. No surprise given the snow.

How was lunch? They do some fantastic food in the Stables. Were there many playing?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No one playing. Lunch was nice, but expensive. That said, been there before, so no surprise. Its a nice place to walk to. Can have a few beers, no need to drive.

Definitely expensive but it's decent service and I think given the quality of the food is worth it as a treat. Going back there in October for our wedding anniversary, so hoping to get on the course while HID enjoys the Spa. Dinner in Colette's won't come cheap but she's worth it