Smart Motorways

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes but as I said only to the ones that actually see the red X.

I have seen lots of vids on you tube where cars are approaching a stationary car when the car in front pulls into lane 2 and the muppet behind just ploughs into the stationary one.
Yes in theory that’s the drivers fault but imo the live lane make that a possibility where hard shoulder nobody should be in it unless broken down.
Everyone has their own view.
I see it as an unnecessary hazard just to save a bit of time and congestion.
A bit like HS2.;)

Apparently HS2 long term is going to take more of the goods industry again with the move away from fossil fuels .. getting rid of a lot of HGV from motorways which will make them safer

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Apparently HS2 long term is going to take more of the goods industry again with the move away from fossil fuels .. getting rid of a lot of HGV from motorways which will make them safer
I thought they were selling it as getting to London 30 mins quicker.
Moving goods dosnt have to be that fast surley.
Anyway that’s another thread.
With lots of different opinions. Especially if they are demolishing your house to do it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
With lots of different opinions. Especially if they are demolishing your house to do it.

It's part of it are goods and speed of travel to London

Make Birmingham into more of a powerhouse

But yes destroying houses

It's a mess

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
/QUOTE]
That idea died when they realised that where they were building the terminals at either end would mean a 10-15minute taxi to get into the middle of either city...so you could get a normal train and take the same time....

D

Deleted member 15344

I guess a smart motorway is only as smart as the people driving on it

Seen plenty of times on the M1 and M25 where they have reduced the speeds etc and people still fly past

The idea is good one but would worry me if there was no hard shoulder

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I guess a smart motorway is only as smart as the people driving on it

Seen plenty of times on the M1 and M25 where they have reduced the speeds etc and people still fly past

The idea is good one but would worry me if there was no hard shoulder

Prob the most sensible answer so far. Worries you personally but sees the idea has promise

Rather than oh I don't agree with it there for it's rubbish

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Which is why i feel the penalties for ignoring the closure signs are nowhere near harsh enough. Instead of a fixed penalty fine it should be points. 6 points per sign passed, so pass 2 and bye bye licence. That should focus peoples attention on what they're supposed to be doing.

Answer might be average speed checks on motorways regardless of limit so even when 70 it's a flat 70

The stretch of road I use for work is average speed and it's the one you pay most attention to

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've done a few trips down to Devon in the past week prepping my new house. The A30/A303 - everyone drives really sensibly - two lanes, pull to the inside if clear. No-one makes idiotic moves but wait for the next dual carriageway section.

Then you get on to the M3. Middle lane morons - third lane idiots - outside lane cretins.

Swango1980

Visit site
Which is why i feel the penalties for ignoring the closure signs are nowhere near harsh enough. Instead of a fixed penalty fine it should be points. 6 points per sign passed, so pass 2 and bye bye licence. That should focus peoples attention on what they're supposed to be doing.
Just out of interest, as someone who drives these frequently, do you feel constantly looking for the signs (especially at times when manoeuvring around traffic) to see if the speed limit has changed causes a minor distraction. As opposed to knowing the road you are on has a fixed speed limit and so you do not need to check?

I don't drive them often, but I often find myself (at least my perception) spending more time looking at the gantry signs rather than the road.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just out of interest, as someone who drives these frequently, do you feel constantly looking for the signs (especially at times when manoeuvring around traffic) to see if the speed limit has changed causes a minor distraction. As opposed to knowing the road you are on has a fixed speed limit and so you do not need to check?

I don't drive them often, but I often find myself (at least my perception) spending more time looking at the gantry signs rather than the road.
Not really, looking at signs is just a normal part of driving.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
My understanding is that HS2 will take passenger traffic off the current "slow" tracks releasing capacity for goods traffic to utilise.

sunshine

Visit site
In the UK, driving seems to improve the further you get from London. It can be quite pleasant driving around Devon or Scotland, everyone is courteous and follows the rules. Then on the M25 and inside it is just a free for all. On the M25 I just drive in whatever lane seems to be moving fastest (usually lane 1 / nearside lane), no point changing lane to overtake.

As for driving in central London, it's more like driving in Mumbai or Mogadishu than anywhere else in Britain.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the UK, driving seems to improve the further you get from London. It can be quite pleasant driving around Devon or Scotland, everyone is courteous and follows the rules. Then on the M25 and inside it is just a free for all. On the M25 I just drive in whatever lane seems to be moving fastest (usually lane 1 / nearside lane), no point changing lane to overtake.

As for driving in central London, it's more like driving in Mumbai or Mogadishu than anywhere else in Britain.

As a Londoner I find this completly true! I love driving up north

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Is this not about shear weight of traffic? I'm in Northumberland and things are generally chilled, apart from individual nutters of course. When I head south, in normal times, I find my stress levels rise as I pass Preston on the M6 southbound, west side, and Leeds, A1M on the east. More cars, not enough space for them all. People want to blame driving standards, back in the day......., but the number of cars out there is the critical point, imo.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is this not about shear weight of traffic? I'm in Northumberland and things are generally chilled, apart from individual nutters of course. When I head south, in normal times, I find my stress levels rise as I pass Preston on the M6 southbound, west side, and Leeds, A1M on the east. More cars, not enough space for them all. People want to blame driving standards, back in the day......., but the number of cars out there is the critical point, imo.

No it's not just that

People are very aggressive drivers here