Smart Motorways

Swango1980

Visit site
In the UK, driving seems to improve the further you get from London. It can be quite pleasant driving around Devon or Scotland, everyone is courteous and follows the rules. Then on the M25 and inside it is just a free for all. On the M25 I just drive in whatever lane seems to be moving fastest (usually lane 1 / nearside lane), no point changing lane to overtake.

As for driving in central London, it's more like driving in Mumbai or Mogadishu than anywhere else in Britain.
I have no doubt this is true, but that will simply be down to traffic volume rather than attitude of drivers in a certain area of the UK. If areas of Scotland were as busy as central London or the M25, that will result in much worse behaviour. Purely down to human frustrations and impatience when there is not sufficient capacity on the road network.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
As we've now gone from the op to the M25...
I believe the biggest issue with driving standards [on the M25] are infrequent users... Folk get overawed with the volumes and whole scale of it especially in the section adjacent to Heathrow... You can usually pick them out as they appear to be transfixed on their device(s) advising what to do where to go...

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But perhaps it is the volume of traffic that makes them aggressive? One leads to another. I think Swango's post below yours sums it up.

See id say no, if people drive calm the traffic flows .. can even have nice drives round the 406 but when people cut each other up for no reason it becomes a wee wee contests

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
See id say no, if people drive calm the traffic flows .. can even have nice drives round the 406 but when people cut each other up for no reason it becomes a wee wee contests

Driving in London is a shocker. I used to think driving in China was terrible, but London has exceeded this, and is now worse. I can't wait until I can stop doing it.
If you try to drive by the highway code, you won't get anywhere, and 100% you will have an accident.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
See this is where for me it's a grey area

Stopping to exchange details in a live lane? Emergency point 1.5 miles max... Just go there

When I got hit at lights I knew there’s was garage 500 yards away I just drove there rather than block the 406 and risk injury
If you just keep driving to the refuge area / garage the other guy might think your trying to run away!
That can have worse consequences if he chases you.
But your correct it’s the right thing to do.
I just think they are very dangerous and should be banned.
Bring them back when we’re fully driverless.
The fact we’re debating it shows a lot of people really don’t like them.
Some love them . Can’t please everyone.
But until it happens to you personally we can only imagine what it’s like to be stranded there.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you just keep driving to the refuge area / garage the other guy might think your trying to run away!
That can have worse consequences if he chases you.
But your correct it’s the right thing to do.
I just think they are very dangerous and should be banned.
Bring them back when we’re fully driverless.
The fact we’re debating it shows a lot of people really don’t like them.
Some love them . Can’t please everyone.
But until it happens to you personally we can only imagine what it’s like to be stranded there.

Wouldn't say love them, more understand the need and don't see them as the massive danger they are portrayed as

If you put your hazards on and drive to the next area they aren't going to think your doing a runner surely . Be a bit out there!

Seems like a lot of education is needed on smart motorways as people just don't know how to use them

Same with everything .. people never read the highway code (not all but a vast majority don't)

I went on a speed awareness course and national speed limit down a country lane what's the speed you had the correct answers and then 40 50 and 70

Amount of people who don't know stuff is scary

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wouldn't say love them, more understand the need and don't see them as the massive danger they are portrayed as

If you put your hazards on and drive to the next area they aren't going to think your doing a runner surely . Be a bit out there!

Seems like a lot of education is needed on smart motorways as people just don't know how to use them

Same with everything .. people never read the highway code (not all but a vast majority don't)

I went on a speed awareness course and national speed limit down a country lane what's the speed you had the correct answers and then 40 50 and 70

My daughter passed her test 2 yrs ago .
I asked her a couple of fairly easy road signs ! Not a clue.
I think a bit of the motorway trouble is we never went on a motorway until after you passed your test.
That was crazy at the time , it’s changed now but the older ones still havnt got a clue.
Your right it’s scary

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

Ave done a couple of speed awareness courses. I was showing my grandson how the speed limit changes on the sat nav to what the Speed limit signs show. We had gone down the rd for a good bit and there were no signs, he asked what the speed limit was. I told him it was 30. “ how do you know, there’s no signs “ he said. I said “Because if there’s no signs and theres lamp posts it’s 30”. He said “ that’s silly just put signs up so you know like everywhere else”.
That just about sums it up.

sunshine

Visit site
I have no doubt this is true, but that will simply be down to traffic volume rather than attitude of drivers in a certain area of the UK. If areas of Scotland were as busy as central London or the M25, that will result in much worse behaviour. Purely down to human frustrations and impatience when there is not sufficient capacity on the road network.

I think it's a combination of issues.

1. Sheer volume leads to more stress / aggression.
2. If you learnt to drive in Baghdad, you will probably drive the same way everywhere. Many drivers in central London learnt to drive elsewhere and have little understanding / consideration of the rules.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
If folk think driving in London is 'dog eat dog' try Paris... Herself advises driving in Sicily isn't exactly 'friendly' either... Not much laid back Mediterraneanous at all...

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Many don't understand that National Speed Limits doesn't mean 70 or 60 but depends on what type of vehicle you are driving.

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Visit site
If folk think driving in London is 'dog eat dog' try Paris... Herself advises driving in Sicily isn't exactly 'friendly' either... Not much laid back Mediterraneanous at all...

Bad driving in London is not a new thing, I drove in London for the first time about 35 years ago and it was rammel then. Drove a Fiat 500 in Sicily for a week. It had 14km on the clock. 1100 km when I handed it back in. Loved every minute of it. First thing you do when you get in a car in Italy, try the horn. Twice. Trying the horn in the UK is usually followed by 2 fingers.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bad driving in London is not a new thing, I drove in London for the first time about 35 years ago and it was rammel then. Drove a Fiat 500 in Sicily for a week. It had 14km on the clock. 1100 km when I handed it back in. Loved every minute of it. First thing you do when you get in a car in Italy, try the horn. Twice. Trying the horn in the UK is usually followed by 2 fingers.

Define "bad driving"... I knew the streets of London well and as a younger bloke would admit to being intolerant of dawdlers and probably [certainly] didn't cut them any slack... I knew exactly where I was going and if you didn't move over and let me by I'd make you uncomfortable until you did...

I did say to herself, when she returned from Sicily, she was probably being too polite... She did note she wouldn't mind having the sole concession for gaffer tape there... As all cars, including the prancing horses, appeared to be held together with the stuff...

Tashyboy

Visit site
Define "bad driving"... I knew the streets of London well and as a younger bloke would admit to being intolerant of dawdlers and probably [certainly] didn't cut them any slack... I knew exactly where I was going and if you didn't move over and let me by I'd make you uncomfortable until you did...

I did say to herself, when she returned from Sicily, she was probably being too polite... She did note she wouldn't mind having the sole concession for gaffer tape there... As all cars, including the prancing horses, appeared to be held together with the stuff...
It’s odd, but I enjoyed driving in italy/ Sicily etc. But the only place I would not drive is Naples. I cannot ever remember seeing a car in Italy without having some kind of scrape on it. Driving up Monte Cassino was interesting. One place I would love to drive but would scare the bejesus out of me, the Amalfi coast.Wheni first drove in London it was the first time I saw folk had no patience.
I once drove to Brittany from Dover in 2007 in a Corsa VXR. It was a lovely drive. Talking to the. Fits out there they remarked how relaxing it was. As soon as we got off the ferry in Dover it was like a rat race to drive towards London.