Smart Motorways

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
(Pre-covid) my commute to work involves 1 junction of smart motorway (J4 jn20 -> jn19). On days when the hard shoulder was back to being hard shoulder it would add about 15 minutes to my journey time.

I must admit I'd hate to break down on a smart motorway, but the motorways desperately need the extra lane.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have been driving round the M25 (quite often really, more than I would like), with the over heads showing 50, but consecutive overheads show 50, 40, 30, 60, 50, glf, 40, 60, etc, when there are about 3 cars within view.
I have also sat on the bonnet of my car talking to the driver of the next car, when the gantries have flagged from 60 to 40, and no one has moved for 30 minutes.

Smart? Not in my view.

Trouble is, when they are this inconsistent, people get in the habit of viewing the numbers with a pinch of salt. Then, when it all goes wrong, it gets nasty quite quickly.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How can it be acceptable to have a motorway where someone breaking down and not capable of driving to an escape area is in danger of death by a heavy duty vehicle ploughing into the back of them. It's also dangerous for the vehicle approaching. Absolutely mindless in my opinion.

Also, why arnt the inside lanes returned to hard shoulders outside of peak flow times.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How can it be acceptable to have a motorway where someone breaking down and not capable of driving to an escape area is in danger of death by a heavy duty vehicle ploughing into the back of them. It's also dangerous for the vehicle approaching. Absolutely mindless in my opinion.

Also, why arnt the inside lanes returned to hard shoulders outside of peak flow times.

But thats the whole point, they're not meant to be approaching as the lane is supposed to be closed for some considerable distance, which is why I think the penalties for ignoring the lane closure signs shoudl be ramped up massively.
One other question. Dual carriagway A roads. 2 or 3 lanes, 70mph limit, never had hard shoulders. Whats the difference?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But thats the whole point, they're not meant to be approaching as the lane is supposed to be closed for some considerable distance, which is why I think the penalties for ignoring the lane closure signs shoudl be ramped up massively.
One other question. Dual carriagway A roads. 2 or 3 lanes, 70mph limit, never had hard shoulders. Whats the difference?

Whilst I agree with your point would volume of traffic but the answer to your question? Motorways are normally busier which more cars equates to more risk ?

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site

Over the years there have been some horrendous accidents on the A40, near here, involving stationary [broken down] vehicles... A possible indication that a 'hard shoulder' might have been a better [safer] option to a third lane...

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Over the years there have been some horrendous accidents on the A40, near here, involving stationary [broken down] vehicles... A possible indication that a 'hard shoulder' might have been a better [safer] option to a third lane...

But isn't that a cost to compensation argument? (Which I completely disagree with)

After the moorgate rail disaster it was said that all signals had to have what's called a train stop (when signal red it pops up and trips the trains breaks if they go past red) fail safe

Legal requirement

Network rail have so many signals in remote areas they decided it would cost less to pay the fine and compo to the families if things go wrong

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a very infrequent user I am not fond of them, much prefer a permanent hard shoulder. I do like the variable speed limits and additional traffic management brought by all the monitoring.

I am all for making motorways smart, sadly progress will be tarnished by a poorly chosen name for just one feature of a true smart motorway.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As a very infrequent user I am not fond of them, much prefer a permanent hard shoulder. I do like the variable speed limits and additional traffic management brought by all the monitoring.

I am all for making motorways smart, sadly progress will be tarnished by a poorly chosen name for just one feature of a true smart motorway.

I liked the "use hard shoulder" during the peak hours rather than completely removing the hard shoulder

Was it like 7-9 they turned on permission to use it then turned it off

D

Deleted Member 1156

Has any analysis been done into how many accidents have been caused on smart motorways when broken down vehicles have nowhere to go safely?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks. I'm surprised the stats say they are safer but I'm not surprised by the public perception.

It's the same with motorways in general though isn't it

Statistics show the safest roads and less accidents

However when their is an accident it's huge!!!!

Like superman says flying is statically the safest way to travel... But when a plane has a problem it's headline news ain't it! Don't get that if a bus catches fire and everyone just walks off to safety

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't quite understand what you are talking about.

I just said I prefer motorways with a hard shoulder and I didn't like the hard shoulder part of "Smart" motorways.

I prefer when there is a hard shoulder but it could be used when directed rather than no hard shoulder and a full time lane