Smart Motorways

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Road tax is too cheap, it should be ramped up. Outside of logistics and business it should start at £5k and rise accordingly. Most of the traffic in inner cities and B roads are people who are too lazy to get public transport and run bangers. They're the cause of most issues. Price them off the roads and it's a game changer.
I would guess with that comment you live in an area were public transport is excellent. For the vast majority of people, travel is not a luxury.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
These will be scrapped in a few years, the best thing the average person can do is make sure your car is fairly new, serviced and reliable. Don't take a risk with tyres, always buy the best.

If I personally broke down on a smart motorway, I'd be half tempted to look in the mirror and put my brakes on so the car behind crashed into me at a controlled pace so I've got protection.
I’ve read some absolute garbage on here. But this wins by a long way. I you genuinely think this. Please do the rest of us a favor and hand your license back.

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Have you

I’ve read some absolute garbage on here. But this wins by a long way. I you genuinely think this. Please do the rest of us a favor and hand your license back.
At least he has proven that some of the drivers on motorways don’t know how to drive on them ☹️? either that or he is a WUM and got the response he was after.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
These will be scrapped in a few years, the best thing the average person can do is make sure your car is fairly new, serviced and reliable. Don't take a risk with tyres, always buy the best.

If I personally broke down on a smart motorway, I'd be half tempted to look in the mirror and put my brakes on so the car behind crashed into me at a controlled pace so I've got protection.
What if he swerves and causes a multi car pile up.?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Two wrongs don't make a right and dual carriageways don't tend to have the same volume of heavy goods vehicles. The point with smart motorways is they did have a hard shoulder which has been removed.

Living beside the A90, the major trunk road to and from Aberdeen, I would say there is a higher volume of HGVs than there is on the motorway network in Scotland. We also have a very small motorway network and most of that is two lanes with no hard shoulder or lighting, particularly north of the Central belt. What I do notice when driving down south is the complete lack of distance between vehicles which leaves little or no reaction time if something happens in front of you.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
He wants protection, so the family that rear ends him gets wiped out by a lorry driver watching YouTube on his phone rather than him!!Seriously one of the strangest things I have read on here.

A quick glance at the law relating to dangerous driving and, heaven forbid, causing death by dangerous driving, and he might take a slightly different view. I’m still clinging on to the hope it’s a wind up.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A quick glance at the law relating to dangerous driving and, heaven forbid, causing death by dangerous driving, and he might take a slightly different view. I’m still clinging on to the hope it’s a wind up.
I don’t think most of us would have the reactions to do something like that.
It’s putting everyone at risk and if proved should be an offence.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I don’t think most of us would have the reactions to do something like that.
It’s putting everyone at risk and if proved should be an offence.

If you look at the definition of dangerous driving, deliberately causing a collision on a motorway more than ticks the boxes.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Reading some of his other posts I'm not sure he's at an age yet that he can a licence in the first place...

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's well known the injury severity is pretty much directly proportion to the differential speed of the two objects at impact. Hence why in motor sport relatively few serious injuries arise (plus a few other factors).

Having broken down stationary vehicles in the same lane as the normal rate of flow is against all highway design logic other than the build cost v safety.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How do the HGVs get to the motorways?
My point was that it's not acceptable not to provide a safe place for vehicles too pull off a carrageway where the permitted speeds are fast. Just because this may be the case on a dual carriageway isn't a defence for there being no hard shoulder on a motorway. Does anyone actually think it's safe to pull up on the inside lane on a motorway with no hard shoulder, really!

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I really miss the huge turnpike battleships that we used to drive in the sixties here in the US.
We could smash into one another at will. They didn't even have to enforce the drunk driving laws back then.

But, as we all know, nothing lasts forever.