Smart Motorways

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I never attempt to rent a vehicle in a left side drive nation because my chances of killing somebody and myself would be close to 50 / 50.
I don't know how to drive that way, and I readily admit it.

Then again, I'm on holiday and I don't want to drive anyway.

That's what cabs are for.

Japan surprises me. Unlike Korea and Taiwan, they do it your way too.
They were never part of the Commonwealth.

I can understand Hong Kong. You guys screwed them up.
They even speak some weird language called Cantonese, although many can speak both Mandarin and English as well.
Which makes them smarter than I, so I guess that I shouldn't criticize their driving.

By the way, what's a "smart motorway" and how does it differ from a stupid one?

4LEX

Visit site
I never attempt to rent a vehicle in a left side drive nation because my chances of killing somebody and myself would be close to 50 / 50.
I don't know how to drive that way, and I readily admit it.

Then again, I'm on holiday and I don't want to drive anyway.

That's what cabs are for.

Japan surprises me. Unlike Korea and Taiwan, they do it your way too.
They were never part of the Commonwealth.

I can understand Hong Kong. You guys screwed them up.
They even speak some weird language called Cantonese, although many can speak both Mandarin and English as well.
Which makes them smarter than I, so I guess that I shouldn't criticize their driving.

By the way, what's a "smart motorway" and how does it differ from a stupid one?

We actually made HK.

And a Smart motorway is actually a stupid one, while a normal one is a smart one. Work that out!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That helps a lot. Thanks.
My mates American and he hates driving in the UK.
It’s so easy in the US most roads are in a grid system so are all squares.
I had to laugh the first time he came to a roundabout here, he just couldn’t get his head around it.

A smart motorway is what a tech company would come up with on paper.
Unfortunately we don’t drive on paper we make mistakes, speed ,or are just plain selfish and arrogant so in the real world they are very dangerous and don’t work.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
What do you do when you break down on a dual carriageway ?

Put the hazards lights on, get out of car stand on pavement away from the car. Possibly have a Costa. There are so many things you can do when you break down on a dual carriage way that you cannot do on a “ Smart motorway“. Now correct be if I am wrong, the speed limit is 70 on a motorway. It can be anything from 30-70 on a dual lane carriageway. So I don’t think there is any comparison what so ever between breaking down on the two highways.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Put the hazards lights on, get out of car stand on pavement away from the car. Possibly have a Costa. There are so many things you can do when you break down on a dual carriage way that you cannot do on a “ Smart motorway“. Now correct be if I am wrong, the speed limit is 70 on a motorway. It can be anything from 30-70 on a dual lane carriageway. So I don’t think there is any comparison what so ever between breaking down on the two highways.

A smart motorways limit changes constantly to adapt to road conditions

Especially broken down cars

Anything from 30-70

They are comparable in some aspects

Smart motorways are great in theory

Idiot drivers and poorly used tech is most of the issue

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

Anything from 30-70

I think this is mainly the problem, they don’t alter quick enough which causes the problems ☹️

Swango1980

Visit site

Anything from 30-70

They alter nothing for traffic following the broken down vehicle. There is a lag between breakdown and warning signs appearing. Sometimes a long leg, because cameras do not pick up the breakdown.

Certain large vehicles have reduced speed limits on A Roads compared to Motorways. Motorways also tend to consist of longer, wider roads with few distractions like junctions, roundabouts to negotiate. So, you have more long distance drivers on motorways who have not had to hit the brakes for many many miles. I wouldn't want to break down on a dual carriageway, but I would much prefer that than on a smart motorway.

There are idiot drivers out there. But, if it is one of them that smashes me to pieces because I had no hard shoulder to pull over on, it won't give me a lot of comfort.

Last edited:

4LEX

Visit site
These will be scrapped in a few years, the best thing the average person can do is make sure your car is fairly new, serviced and reliable. Don't take a risk with tyres, always buy the best.

If I personally broke down on a smart motorway, I'd be half tempted to look in the mirror and put my brakes on so the car behind crashed into me at a controlled pace so I've got protection.

4LEX

Visit site
Agree with most. But, putting tolls on motorways will likely push a lot more traffic onto less suitable roads. Also, there is a balance off, on one hand reducing traffic on roads (environmental, noise pollution, congestion, etc) and increasing it to keep the country well connected, thus boosting economy. I doubt public transport is in a position to be a reasonable alternative to those who currently drive.

Road tax is too cheap, it should be ramped up. Outside of logistics and business it should start at £5k and rise accordingly. Most of the traffic in inner cities and B roads are people who are too lazy to get public transport and run bangers. They're the cause of most issues. Price them off the roads and it's a game changer.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Road tax is too cheap, it should be ramped up. Outside of logistics and business it should start at £5k and rise accordingly. Most of the traffic in inner cities and B roads are people who are too lazy to get public transport and run bangers. They're the cause of most issues. Price them off the roads and it's a game changer.
Try using public transport in rural areas and particularly if you are old or disabled. The well off will be able to pay those taxes, are suggesting punishing the infirm and poor. Not a fair policy.

Swango1980

Visit site
If you live in London fine. Maybe some other cities. But public transport is woeful most other places.

Also, good luck to golf clubs. You'll price people out of driving a car, and remove their mode of transport to go play golf. I certainly wouldn't be bringing my trolley and clubs onto a bus to try and make my 7.24am tee time.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

I live in a village several miles from the nearest town, and we have a bus once every two hours. My nearest train station is eight miles away. Does that make me “lazy”?