Simple Question Regarding Cancelled Golf Break

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No update, the WhatsApp group continues to grow with other parties affected too.

To date I don't believe any customers have been offered a refund in line with the PTR 2018.

They are hoping I imagine that the law changes things retrospectively so they get longer to offer the refund.

YGT are in a very bad position as I've heard that they bought 1000 £5000 trips to the Masters on behalf of customers ( £5m ) and they bought the tickets in such a way that now the masters has been postponed not cancelled they cannot get their money back to pass back to customers who can no longer go on the rescheduled flights.

Also they have a business model that means any money you pay them now for you forthcoming trip is used to pay the hotels etc of trips that happened 6 weeks ago (on their credit with suppliers) so when you ask for your money back because you've not had your trip and where is your money - they've spent it long ago!

Our options once the statutory 14 days are up by which they should offer us a full refund are to take them to the smalls claim court and start a government petition to have this issue looked at.

ABTA who are meant to be working FOR the travellers are seemingly putting their paymasters (the tour operators) first!

If I have any further updates I'll post back here but for now we're getting nowhere really!

We want our money and they have spent it and have none left!

I'm not sure how much longer YGT can survive without government intervention, they are not the only tour operator in this mess, check out Twitter #ABTAtravel and you'll see many unhappy customers, some out of pocket by thousands.

If you took a credit note, presumably the credit note is not backed by ABTA?

So of all options, is that the very worst of them? If you couldn't get the cash, but rebooked another trip, that trip presumably would be covered by ABTA and therefore you wouldn't be out of pocket if they folded?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

So of all options, is that the very worst of them? If you couldn't get the cash, but rebooked another trip, that trip presumably would be covered by ABTA and therefore you wouldn't be out of pocket if they folded?
I've rebooked my UK break with them for same time next year. My thinking was partly, I want to go still and also it would remain protected, as you suggest. I am hoping you are right.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I'm thinking the same with our cruise that's about to be cancelled

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No update, the WhatsApp group continues to grow with other parties affected too.

To date I don't believe any customers have been offered a refund in line with the PTR 2018.

They are hoping I imagine that the law changes things retrospectively so they get longer to offer the refund.

YGT are in a very bad position as I've heard that they bought 1000 £5000 trips to the Masters on behalf of customers ( £5m ) and they bought the tickets in such a way that now the masters has been postponed not cancelled they cannot get their money back to pass back to customers who can no longer go on the rescheduled flights.

Also they have a business model that means any money you pay them now for you forthcoming trip is used to pay the hotels etc of trips that happened 6 weeks ago (on their credit with suppliers) so when you ask for your money back because you've not had your trip and where is your money - they've spent it long ago!

Our options once the statutory 14 days are up by which they should offer us a full refund are to take them to the smalls claim court and start a government petition to have this issue looked at.

ABTA who are meant to be working FOR the travellers are seemingly putting their paymasters (the tour operators) first!

If I have any further updates I'll post back here but for now we're getting nowhere really!

We want our money and they have spent it and have none left!

I'm not sure how much longer YGT can survive without government intervention, they are not the only tour operator in this mess, check out Twitter #ABTAtravel and you'll see many unhappy customers, some out of pocket by thousands.

fairly damning.

wonder if it is worth just using credit to book another holiday and then have it protected when it all goes tits up

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I've just had a look on Twitter, and seen an 'Andrew Harding' tweeting. Apparently he is a co-founder of YGT. He has indeed suggested that vouchers will turn to cash if not used by the end of July... I don't really get this. Surely it's just a way of ensuring a full refund, though you of course have to wait 4+ months for it...

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Hmmm. I wonder if this is just a trick, and they will change the rules again in July? I found Kennysarmy's Twitter page last night, and that was a great source of info - basically, ABTA are taking the mick. Changing their own rules to help out travel companies.

From a couple of tweets, YGT and Andrew Harding have implied that people are abusing them... Has this happened? It's not really on if so, but I can't see anything myself...?

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Hmmm. I wonder if this is just a trick, and they will change the rules again in July? I found Kennysarmy's Twitter page last night, and that was a great source of info - basically, ABTA are taking the mick. Changing their own rules to help out travel companies.

From a couple of tweets, YGT and Andrew Harding have implied that people are abusing them... Has this happened? It's not really on if so, but I can't see anything myself...?

***** Part of this reply or comment has had to be deleted *****

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1740

His definition of abuse is people asking for refunds they're entitled to.

His definition of abused is bringing this issue to the attention of their ambassadors Westwood and Clarke etc.

His definition of abuse is people citing the truth and the law at YGT.

The WhatsApp group are hoping to speak to him on Monday.

When you next ask him for a refund, tell him Darren sent yer ?? I'll get my coat

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site

i have seen some abusing YGT and their staff all over social media and golf forums. Not very nice to get personal

D

Deleted member 1740

i have seen some abusing YGT and their staff all over social media and golf forums. Not very nice to get personal

Whilst theres full understanding of frustration, there's no condoning this behaviour at all.

From what I've seen from Kenny's posts on here they've been been fair.

Unfortunately theres always people who will go that step further in every walk of life especially on twitter/ social media.

D

Deleted member 1740

Btw, i totally understand YGT position on this matter from a business point. They cant refund everybody as their business model, like many other leisure business's, needs a cash flow etc.

That said, there's rules in place to cover both them and the customer which they dont seem to be sticking to on this occasion.

Do the right thing YGT and refund the punters.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
They're playing the Short Term Vs Long Term game. Long term they will lose plenty of customers over this due to reputational damage. In the short term though, they probably need to hold on to money just to survive the next few months.

It isn't easy for anyone right now, but that said, they/ABTA are effectively just changing the rules to suit them. That really isn't right.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
I removed one tweet from Twitter when they asked me to..... It wasn't what I would necessarily call abusive but I did #@&£ out a swear word. When they asked if I'd remove it, I did.

AFAIK none of my other social media posts on this matter are inaccurate or abusive.

If anyone is being inaccurate it's YGT advising customers that they don't have to offer a cash refund and that ABTA are advising them of such.

The CEO of ABTA this week did a videod interview where he confirmed that cash refunds should still be offered.

I'll find the link if anyone wants to watch.