Should courses ban adizero

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Where courses have a no trainer rule should they consider banning the latest shoes from Adidas? The Adizero clearly is just a trainer, should golfers be allowed to wear them?

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
Where courses have a no trainer rule should they consider banning the latest shoes from Adidas? The Adizero clearly is just a trainer, should golfers be allowed to wear them?

Having had my hands on a pair I certainly won't be buying them as like the F50 football boots they seem to offer no stability. But it is not a trainer and therefore shouldn't be banned.

If your going to class this as a trainer then we need to ban half the new offerings from all the shoe makers, golf has moved on from brogues with spikes in and time for clubs and golfers to accept that.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
This is where clubs have to update their policies.
What's to stop Adidas or Nike putting cleats on the sole of an out-and-out running shoe and passing it off as a golf shoe? OK it's unlikely to happen but in theory put cleats on the sole of anything and it becomes a golf shoe.
If a club does have a trainer ban then things are going to get interesting.

Why trainer bans in the first place?
Is it the look?
Is it the possible lack of traction?

Many modern golf shoes look more like trainers than many trainers do........

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
golf has moved on from brogues with spikes in and time for clubs and golfers to accept that.
Golf clubs are in the unique position of having some control of their own borders and they do not have to accept anything that they feel break their dress codes, just because companies make shoes it doesn't mean that clubs have to allow them on the course. regardless of how much people think time has moved on.

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
Golf clubs are in the unique position of having some control of their own borders and they do not have to accept anything that they feel break their dress codes, just because companies make shoes it doesn't mean that clubs have to allow them on the course. regardless of how much people think time has moved on.

Agreed they do have control of their own borders but if they start banning people from wearing shoes that conform to the rules of golf all they'll do is alienate members. But then I think far to many clubs are overly stuffy on their dress codes in the clubhouse a pair of shoes aren't always smarter than a pair of trainers.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My addidas tech response 4.0 golf shoes are identical to the tech response running shoes, except they have cleats. Very comfortable, in the summer, when it's hot. I have worn these on many courses, and never had a problem.

Why should they be banned?

Just because you don't like them?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It's a fair point OP. Could be an interesting scenario if you buy a pair at a Pro shop, put them on, walk onto their 1st tee then get told you can't wear these as they look like trainers:eek:

Are trainers banned because they look scruffy or look like a football or running shoe, or something else I'm missing? I'd imagine its purely due to the scruffy cheap image trainers had years ago!

When I was a kid playing golf during the big heatwave of '87 I think it was, then we all wore trainers to play on the hard bone dry fairways over the big clumpy shoes of the day. Think we were ahead of our time.

Scadge

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree that the latest developments make the "no trainer" approach look increasingly obsolete but whilst the adizero may be the latest incarnation it is by no means the first trainer / deck looking shoe. I guess it challenges whether these rules are

1. fashion / smartness based (we want people to uphold the standards of this golf club) which I only support if it contributes to maintaining the spirit and etiquette of the game, or

2. course protection based ( we want to maintain the condition of the greens / fairways etc) which I am sure everyone would support.

With such blurring of the lines I would hate to be an administrator/committee member of a golf club that has a no-trainer rule these days.

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
When did they lose that image?
When people stop wearing gola & Reebok started being worn less.

Many people in private golf clubs I've been to have looked far more scruffy in their chinos and overly worn shoes that looked like even oxfam would reject, than people I've seen in clubhouses at public courses wearing a looked after pair of Adidas stan James classic trainers.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I seem to remember back in the bad old days when some courses had a real snobbery problem, playing in trainers were banned with the reason being they damaged the course :confused:

I think that was more of an excuse than a solid reason.

I've got a pair of Mizuno five a side trainers and the sole on them is exactly the same as the soles on the new moulded golf shoes, could I get away with wearing them on the course?