Should courses ban adizero

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got a pair of dunks too!

Tempted by these myself and the fact I have stupidly small feet meaning I can buy the largest junior size they do means I can get them for £30 delivered to the door. Mmm I'm off to order a couple of pairs, that'll be 4 new pairs of shoes bought in 7 weeks and I've not been able to play since before Christmas

Yer Maw

Head Pro
Visit site
this is the 21st century and the only thing I'd ban in clubhouses are football tops and scruffy jeans I do like a collared top to a t-shirt as the t-shirt can be an abusive rag emblazoned with all sorts of nonsense. Even more traditional clubs are seeing the need to move with the times and recognise the concept of smart casual being perfectly acceptable. I'm not sure if I can wear trainers in my clubhouse, I think not though doubt there would be shreaks of disapproval though my latest trainers would definitely raise a few eyebrows being bright yellow!!!!
We want youngsters in the game and the more the better for the good of the game at national and professional level.

Then of course theres places like Muirfield, but thats a different thread altogether ha ha

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Golf attire is and should be a stout pair of brogues with good metal spikes teamed with a nice creased pair of solid tweed trousers a polo shirt if you must with a stiff collar and finished with a nice multi coloured lambswool sweater. When having a pint of ale in the clubhouse then blazer, chinos and a crisp shirt teamed with club tie or cravat should be worn. The only thing one should hear is the sound of a nice grandfather clock or indeed the chinking of a cold glass when golfers wish each other cheers after recalling tales of the course.All this tracksuit and training shoe stuff belongs in the caddies hut around the back of the course at the side of the tradesman's entrance.

T

thecraw

Golf attire is and should be a stout pair of brogues with good metal spikes teamed with a nice creased pair of solid tweed trousers a polo shirt if you must with a stiff collar and finished with a nice multi coloured lambswool sweater. When having a pint of ale in the clubhouse then blazer, chinos and a crisp shirt teamed with club tie or cravat should be worn. The only thing one should hear is the sound of a nice grandfather clock or indeed the chinking of a cold glass when golfers wish each other cheers after recalling tales of the course.All this tracksuit and training shoe stuff belongs in the caddies hut around the back of the course at the side of the tradesman's entrance.

Snelly could at least pull it off.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not at all. Just another good thread highlighting the difficult balance between moving with the times and maintaining the traditions of the game
Nice one Scadge, someone who has got the meaning of the thread instead of just looking at it as an attack at the under 30's. Golf clubs have a dilemma here. If they do have rigid attire policies then these kind of shoes breach these rules by looking like trainers so what do they do? ban them or change their rules thus opening the door to all manner of clothing that are presently against their rules. Nice one mate you got it, have a gong.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Each individual course can do what it wants. It might be a bit short sighted for a club struggling for turnover to start banning players in golf trainers though. If I fork out £100+ on a pair of shoes and then get turned away from a club, I'm taking my money elsewhere.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
If they do have rigid attire policies then these kind of shoes breach these rules by looking like trainers so what do they do?

I'm not sure what these rigid policies are, they don't exist. Your club website makes no mention of them. Mine says

'Golf shoes are always required'

as these are clearly golf shoes,(ie shoes made for golf) what is the problem? They may look like trainers but aren't. I've a pair of brogue style shoes, they look a little like work shoes, but aren't.

This is not about my club/your club etc it's about your own issues :D

T

thecraw

Nice one Scadge, someone who has got the meaning of the thread instead of just looking at it as an attack at the under 30's. Golf clubs have a dilemma here. If they do have rigid attire policies then these kind of shoes breach these rules by looking like trainers so what do they do? ban them or change their rules thus opening the door to all manner of clothing that are presently against their rules. Nice one mate you got it, have a gong.

Golf clubs will always have a dilemma. Your post was quite clearly an attack on a pair of shoes you personally dislike. If it was ever about the golf club it would have been directed as such. Golf clubs will always move with the times. Golf clubs are in financial melt down across the country with lots very close to going to the wall.

Old established gentlemen's clubs are also struggling now. Western Gailes has even had to open its waiting list up here which is unheard of. Its usually by invitation only.

If golf clubs didn't want to evolve we'd all still be wearing tweed.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I never said I dislike them and I never have said that. As it happens they are not my idea of a golf shoe but if people wear them get on with it. My thoughts are purely with the golf clubs that do have rigid policies on attire and there are some out there that still have these. Our club allows jeans and trainers in the clubhouse and worse. it doesn't bother me. I have asked a simple question and as usual the blood boils in certain individuals and they cannot help but rush to the defense of all things modern waving the flag of advancement at all costs and trampling on tradition.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't think golf clubs have a problem at all. If the pro shop stocks them then the club must recognise them as golf shoes surely. I don't understand this animosity towards the Adizero. Personally I think the new FJ Project M where there is deliberate room to move the feet inside the shoe looks a far hideous creation and cannot understand how you are suppose to get stability when the the shoes let you move in them

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The wife bought me a pair of these for my birthday

http://www.sportsdirect.com/adidas-tech-respone-mens-golf-shoes-283071

Should be very cool and comfortable in the summer, assuming we get one this year, certainly not wearing them until things have dried out bit!
As an aside does anyone else have trouble getting shoes that fit without spending the earth? I take a size 13, the trouble I had trying to find a pair in the shops under £100 was ridiculous, and sadly I can't justify spending that sort of money on a pair of shoes.
One 'reputable' large chain store even tried to sell me a pair of size 12's, saying they would stretch with use!:rolleyes:

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
just had my hands on pair of these dont like them and they are stupid light in weight dont think they would give good support personally

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
I never said I dislike them and I never have said that. As it happens they are not my idea of a golf shoe but if people wear them get on with it. My thoughts are purely with the golf clubs that do have rigid policies on attire and there are some out there that still have these. Our club allows jeans and trainers in the clubhouse and worse. it doesn't bother me. I have asked a simple question and as usual the blood boils in certain individuals and they cannot help but rush to the defense of all things modern waving the flag of advancement at all costs and trampling on tradition.

There is a very important thing you need to remember about traditions. Traditions are things that we used to do years ago because they were a good idea at the time; every so often you need to revisit the reason behind certain things to see if that tradition is still worthwhile. ie

digging a big pit, luring an animal into it and then stoning it to death in order to eat - not necessary
Trooping of the colour - marvellous

getting upset because someone's golf shoes look a bit like trainers? You need to calm down a bit