Should clubs offer reduced green fees for UK golfers ?

D-S

Visit site
I should have thought it was obvious. Whilst perhaps a generalisation, every business requires revenue streams to remain on an even keel, and I suspect that applies to pretty much every club there is, regardless of status.
However green fees at these highly ranked clubs 6 or 7 years ago used to be 2, 3 or 4 times the cost of a decent round at a local course on a County card but now they are 6, 7, 8 and more times the cost. I know this because we played a lot of them regularly, often popping down to Porthcawl for a round if we had a day off and the weather was nice - it is £220 next year, a premium over normal courses that I wouldn’t dream of paying.
This is not because their costs to survive have increased at an exponentially higher rate than normal clubs, it is because they can get away with it.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I should have thought it was obvious. Whilst perhaps a generalisation, every business requires revenue streams to remain on an even keel, and I suspect that applies to pretty much every club there is, regardless of status.
The top line clubs have not raised their fees due to expense, Dornoch for eg has an 8 figure bank balance afaik, these clubs are doing it because they can, and indeed in some cases because they must as others have said above, the Yanks don't understand value, they only understand dearer must be better even when it's not

D

Deleted member 23270

Sawgrass rack rate is now $900. Based on 120 rounds a day that is an income of $38m!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess that, especially in the busy months, every reduced green fee you five to a local resident is another green fee that cannot be sold at full price and so I cannot see a club agreeing to that.

That said, one of the beauties of golf is that you can play on the same courses that have been played by the greats and so it would be a real shame if those in the locality especially were denied that opportunity because they were increasingly priced out of the market. It would be like your football club massively increasing ticket prices to market to sports tourists rather than be affordable to local fans. It is, to an extent, pricing locals out of their sporting heritage.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I guess that, especially in the busy months, every reduced green fee you five to a local resident is another green fee that cannot be sold at full price and so I cannot see a club agreeing to that.

That said, one of the beauties of golf is that you can play on the same courses that have been played by the greats and so it would be a real shame if those in the locality especially were denied that opportunity because they were increasingly priced out of the market. It would be like your football club massively increasing ticket prices to market to sports tourists rather than be affordable to local fans. It is, to an extent, pricing locals out of their sporting heritage.

Indeed, it's always been said, "In what other sport can anyone play at the same venues as their idols?"

That boast is becoming less and less true with every rise in price.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was lucky enough to get an invite to play North Berwick this year, not far from you I'm guessing. £15 as a guest member. Fabulous day, fabulous course. The green fees that day were £215 and there were stacks of Americans in 4 balls, with caddies etc. I've just checked their site now and fees for next year are £240. I won't play there again unless I'm lucky enough to get another invite. It just doesn't stack up.

I don't blame the course / courses, it makes business sense. It is just a shame that these courses are not easily accessible now, financially.
North Berwick have a seniors Open each yer early October. It includes a bacon bun and coffee on arrival,a golf ball, bottle of water and a drink afterwards. I tried to get in this year and it was full after 38 seconds REPEAT 38 seconds. I managed the reserve list as number 4 and was offered a place. NB was another Club that upped their prices as Americans thought it was to cheap and must be an inferior course.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
North Berwick have a seniors Open each yer early October. It includes a bacon bun and coffee on arrival,a golf ball, bottle of water and a drink afterwards. I tried to get in this year and it was full after 38 seconds REPEAT 38 seconds. I managed the reserve list as number 4 and was offered a place. NB was another Club that upped their prices as Americans thought it was to cheap and must be an inferior course.
NB is loved by Americans but not that many people in East Lothian.

D-S

Visit site
I understand the ‘Americans want to pay big money for the bucket list courses’ argument but I have no idea why the US induced inflation should percolate down to the top 100 English and Welsh courses which are way, way off any American tourist trail.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Dunbar, Gullane 2 and 3.
Sadly, I reckon Dunbar is going the same way as North Berwick. A bit of hip US influencer chit chat and green fees for visitors all into the thick of £150/round or £250/day.

When I did a trip to east Lothian last year we did Gullane 2/3 (as ken says, decent value and 3 is normally empty) and The Glen, which is not links but a nice track with some great views of the sea.
Nothing like NB or Dunbar though 😞

This year we're going to Northumberland, where there's still a bit of value to be had. But unfortunately, Rick Shiels did a dunstanburgh video last week, so it'll probably be double the price it was last summer and full of people with drones and video cameras.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played Dunbar this year as a visitor, obviously getting more popular.
We were obviously behind other visiting groups. Definitely worth playing but it was slow, around 5 hours for what is a course with little walking between tee and green.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I played Dunbar this year as a visitor, obviously getting more popular.
We were obviously behind other visiting groups. Definitely worth playing but it was slow, around 5 hours for what is a course with little walking between tee and green.
Sorry to hear that.

Last edited: