South West Ireland green fees

Meeksy1

Visit site
Hi folks. A mate and I were planning a golf trip to South West Ireland in 2024 but have been put off by the very expensive green fees. We were intending to play Lahinch, Doonbeg, Ballybunion, Tralee, Waterville & Old Head but the green fees are through the roof! Doonbeg is fine as you can get a significant reduction to play on a twilight green fee but I don’t see any others doing the same. Is there a cheaper way to play these courses apart from maybe playing an Open? Can you play these courses over the winter months as a visitor although this is obviously very much weather dependent? I realise there are other very good courses in this area and other parts of Ireland but with regards to the South West it does seem off the scale expensive. Cheers. Paul.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Any packages available? Perhaps using an agent booking accommodation and the golf?

I've never been but those I know who have say the courses are fantastic.

gopher99

Visit site
Hi folks. A mate and I were planning a golf trip to South West Ireland in 2024 but have been put off by the very expensive green fees. We were intending to play Lahinch, Doonbeg, Ballybunion, Tralee, Waterville & Old Head but the green fees are through the roof! Doonbeg is fine as you can get a significant reduction to play on a twilight green fee but I don’t see any others doing the same. Is there a cheaper way to play these courses apart from maybe playing an Open? Can you play these courses over the winter months as a visitor although this is obviously very much weather dependent? I realise there are other very good courses in this area and other parts of Ireland but with regards to the South West it does seem off the scale expensive. Cheers. Paul.

Unless you can find a good travel agent or members of the course I am afraid not. I was lucky as I played these courses many years ago, I was looking at going back next year also and looked at Enniscrone to start with. I paid 50 euros max last time I played it and now it’s 180 euros🤬. I would say if it’s a trip of a lifetime then go for it, yes it’s going to cost a lot but the courses and the people are amazing.

AussieKB

Visit site
I have been lucky enough to have played all these courses, went back a many years later from OZ to take my daughter and grand daughter on a trip, called into Waterville, about 4 cars in the car park, had a chat with the staff and said what a shame they had pushed the fees to crazy levels, it was all about US people coming over to play and paying those fees.

Not sure what Dooks or Dingle fees are but well worth game there.

Skytot

Visit site
I’ve been looking myself . I’m hoping of going touring Ireland in 2025 for my 60th . My bucket list course is Ballybunion but like the OP said daft money , especially as I will be playing on my own . Just checked Dingle GC and that’s €140 in July & August ..

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Indeed, Turnberry is nearing £400 these days. Donald can do one. 🤣

Does the same go for The Links Trust charging nearly 300 for The Old Course? As well as all the others charging over £300??

Regardless, green fees at certain venues are crazy and I'm the fool who often pays them. Even I'm starting to say, enough!!

Last edited:

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I can't help I'm afraid but the answer as to why these courses are so expensive, is the same reason that a number of high profile courses in Scotland have gone that way:

93200664usa-flag-amercan-waving-gif.gif

It is very annoying, but I don't think there is anything we can do about it. Yank tourists are willing to pay through the roof, plus the exchange rate is massively on their side. The clubs are happy to cash in and I can't blame them for it.

It should also be noted that equivalent courses in the US are either impossible to get on to, or often far more expensive than the £/€300 clubs over here ask for.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ireland is tricky tbh.
At least with a scottish trip there are usually a decent array of 'normal' courses nearby to offset the silly prices at the 'name' courses.

MACM85

Visit site
There are plenty of courses in Ireland that are reasonable to play in regards to cost. The issue you have is that you want to play the big names which the Americans have been happily paying top dollar for.

Also have a look to see what open competitions are on. https://twitter.com/OpenGolfIreland is a good twitter page to keep an eye on.