Should all trollys be banned in winter.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
Re: Should all trolleys be banned in winter.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by bobmac
May have been renamed. This was back in the mid 50's

just made me spit beer over my keyboard ffs :D

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site

Has anyone else noticed that there has been a lot more posts since the new user gradings were announced... Coincidence... probably.....;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Having read through this what a funny thread. Not hilarious but in terms of how much division there is between the carrying is good for you and the it's going to cause you injury/make you fatigued.

I trolley as much as I can. End of. In the winter I'll take a set of waterproofs, umbrella, a dozen balls, a couple of spare gloves a spare towel, drinks and fruit. No way I'm carrying that lot on my back and expecting to play well. I will carry in the summer when I only have the clubs, a drink and some balls to worry about.

As for damaging the course, ours ropes of areas and forces trolley uses to go a fair way around the sides of greens thereby keeping the approaches and sides intact. As for trolley's damaging the fairway laden down that in my mind is nonsense. For the amount of time it takes to go over a patch of ground it is hardly going to cause wear and tear. Players don't follow the same paths down holes anyway so it isn't the same bit of ground being damaged anyway. Plus most clubs insist on hedgehogs now

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site

dropping it off tomorrow dave, then i shall unpack my camping stuff and transfer it into my wilson tour bag just incase the worst ever happens, while im at it i may fit some childrens motorcycle tyres just for extra grip...

LMAO nice one. Been a bit of good fun this thread.

P.S. The camping gear may be a good idea the length of time, some people take to go round(oops that was another thread)

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site

I love the "damage to the course".

Football is a winter sport. Pitches in January are, typically, in a bad way. Come April time they are pretty much back to top condition.

If the grass on footy pitches can recover I'm pretty sure the grass on golf courses can with much less traffic over the same areas.

I'm actually carrying over winter as I can't be bothered with the trolley getting absolutely covered in mud but don't care if others do.

Iaing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

I certainly don't think that trolleys have any significant detrimental effect on the condition of the course.

But, I do think that with roped off areas and trolleys only allowed to take certain routes around greens and tees, that it does slow play up significantly.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think you'll find that a fully loaded golf bag weighs a lot more than 2 kilos.

We had a last minute panic earlier this year when going an our annual away week - this time to Turkey. The airline advised us of a 15kg limit on golf bags. Several of us weighed our bags in normal mode and they weighed between 13 and 17kg without the travel bags. There is no way I could carry 17kg to the first tee never mind for several miles.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

When I visit my son in the USA and we play on a weekend we have to go out in a buggy (seems they believe it speeds up play).
When I wore a younger mans clothes I thought I would live for ever and carried a golf bag.
Now I am over the 60 threshold and have knackered knees and back due to the squash and athletics I played in the abovementioned clothes, I need to put my gear into a trolley to maintain three days a week golf.
I guess the next milestone will be trundleing around the course in a personal scooter (medical certificate sighted).

What keeps me awake at night now is the specture of the Club Captain pushing through on the first tee in his underpants and trainers with a trolley.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Out of both who do you think should be carrying?

Whichever of them chooses to????

Golf is a game of choices. You choose which make of clubs you want to play with. You choose which make of ball you play with. You choose which golf club you want to be a member of. You choose which colour clothes you want to wear. The list goes on and on.
So if you "choose" to use a trolley, why not? There are no rules to say who can and can't use a trolley.
I used to love carrying my bag. 10 or 15 years ago, 36 a day, carrying wasn't a problem.
Then I cut that down to 18. Sometimes 36, but very rarely as I found I was getting knackered and 25 years of football had done damage to my knees and ankles. I could hardly walk towards the end of the second round.
So I choose to use a trolley.