Should all trollys be banned in winter.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Re: Should all trolleys be banned in winter.

Is that what you really thinks causes damage to a golf course? My course ropes off all the areas around the greens, they even make special trolley paths through the trees to keep people away from them so I do not see a problem, maybe cause I use a Motocaddy myself.

Lets look at the real problems affecting our courses. People not repairing pitch marks, not putting divots back, taking full swings on tee boxes with irons knocking chunks out of them, people not using the seed and sand mix on par 3 tees to repair divots, people who think that because they carry it is OK to take short cuts across greens with there bag on their back, people dropping litter, people flicking balls out of holes with their putter, people smashing clubs on the ground causing dents to fairways. Just a few things that really damage golf courses.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site

I think everybody should use a trolly. Just think of all the long term damage you are doing to your body by carrying. Not to say anything of the damage it is doing to your round of golf as you get to the closing holes. How many golfers suffer with back, shoulder or neck injurys in later life. Before you say anything no it is not all down to your swing. Your health and safety come first. That means using a trolly. The condition of the course is secondary to your health. Grass regrows. you cannot grow a new back, neck or shoulder can you. Thought I would just put the other side of things;) ...

Last edited:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We operate an 'honesty policy', ie if you can carry in winter then do so, seems to work OK, this has just reminded me to switch this weekend, might start a thread on carry bags as I could do with a new one.

finally, logical thinking.

Those that can carry should so that those that cant can continue using their trolley in order to continue playing. SPOT ON!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I think everybody should use a trolly. Just think of all the long term damage you are doing to your body by carrying. Not to say anything of the damage it is doing to your round of golf as you get to the closing holes. How many golfers suffer with back, shoulder or neck injurys in later life. Before you say anything no it is not all down to your swing. Your health and safety come first. That means using a trolly. The condition of the course is secondary to your health. Grass regrows. you cannot grow a new back, neck or shoulder can you. Thought I would just put the other side of things;) ...

Maybe you should advise all the tour caddies of this occupational hic-up and advise them their all going to suffer in later life due to their chosen profession, while you at it you may want to speak to anyone who doesnt work behind a desk as it could effect them too...

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
finally, logical thinking.

Those that can carry should so that those that cant can continue using their trolley in order to continue playing. SPOT ON!

No answer to my post then regarding what actually causes long term damage to a course then?????
My mate works as a green keeper at my course and I play with him now and again and I never hear him moaning about people with trolleys. It is more about the things I have highlighted in my prvious post. So if the green keepers do not see this as a major problem on the course then why do you???

sweatysock41

Q-School Graduate
www.oakridgegolfclub.co.uk
because i hate seeing pretty gold courses spoiled by muddy trolley paths

So its just the visual aspect that you don't like. I have read your views with interest but it seems to me that you are dictating who should and shouldn't use a trolley. Until something is displayed stating a ban all golfers are entitled to use a trolley if they wish - end of. The only opinion that really matters is that of the greenkeepers with regards to trolley bans and then they should not be arbitrarily applied to certain groups they should apply to everybody.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
chris, have i not said i agree with people who need them in order to play, i actually typed a nice long reply for you a few pages back ;)

I know - problem is I have so much energy after using my trolley Wednesday I cant stop bl**dy typing!

Enjoy your w/end golf OS

Chris

S

Snelly

Just think of all the long term damage you are doing to your body by carrying. ...

There is some tosh written on here from time to time (a lot of it by me I know) but this takes the biscuit. What a load of nonsense! Long term body damage from carrying a golf bag? Pur-lease! How come Sun Mountain aren't in liquidation from all the injury claims from people they have maimed with their spine-smashing stand bags?! Maybe this is what golf insurance is for?!

What about the finger and palm damage from putting tees into hard ground?
Repetitive strain injury from repeatedly turning the speed control on your powacaddy?

Carrying your clubs does not damage you in any way and that is a fact. I prefer carrying. Always have and always will until I am incapable of doing so. I don't mind if people have massive trolleys and bags but I would never do it. Seems like a waste of money, time and a load of hassle to me.

Ben Hogan said you should always carry as it helps to build your shoulder muscles and that is where a lot of power in the swing comes from. I am with him. Also prefer to walk where I want with my stuff rather than stick to the trolley routes around the greens and tees.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The problem is ChrisD a forum is made up from individuals, who have their own opinion. That's what makes for a forum and sometimes the best debates as you recently found out in your traditions thread. I think I tried to make it clear that if the difference between a trolley or not means the difference between playing or not them im all for it.

Let me attack it from another angle. The junior captain my my club is about 17/18 years old, he is around 6" and plays to around 10hc. he is by no means a hacker so doesnt carry 10/20 balls, i dont even think he has a full 14 clubs in the bag, is very fit and athletic and plays alot of other sports in he's spare time. yet when ever he is playing weekend games, he rolls up with a powercaddy, cobra tour bag, he will always have everything in that bag, waterproofs (although its summer), brolly(See previous statement), packed lunch you name it.

Now we will takes he's farther, around early to mid 50's, quite overweight, plays to around 12. quite clearly he is no where near as fit, healthy and athletic as hes son, yet the farther turns up with a lightweight carry bag, full set of bats, pocket full of balls and will carry for 36 holes.

Out of both who do you think should be carrying?

My point isnt for and against them, but more against them when the person using them has no medical reason for using them. Its often these users that will have the bag loaded for every possible national disaster in case they have to sleep on the course for multiply days/nights, and in my opinion its this excess weight and wear which hits the course hardest during its wet months.

Sorry Os I did miss this one

I agree that the forum is for all opinions and I join in on that understanding

Father and son both can do what they want - were you referreing to me and my son, it all seems so real? the 50's and overweight bit anyway

I dont believe any lasting damage is caused

If its allowed then its ok - I would not worry a jot its not my business

Chris