Should all trollys be banned in winter.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oddsocks why does it bother you that juniors, or anybody else for that matter, uses a trolley with a tour bag? When I asked why it was in relation to you saying you hate seeing juniors or anybody that is fit and healthy using a trolley and would like to see more people carry. You still haven't really answered that.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Re: Should all trolleys be banned in winter.

I don't understand why some of those that do use a trolley feel the need to justify it, you don't. If you want to, and can, do. If you don't want to, don't, end of story.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
quite simple chris, less trolley traffic should in theory result in less course damage during the wet months. now i have no issue with anyone using one who needs one, ive been there and know that a electric trolley was all that kept me playing last year. but what gets me is when you see healthy 16/17/18 year old young men, with electric trolleys, huge tour bags with everything in there from a packed lunch, change of clothes, spare tent, you name it.

I appreciate that for some members a trolley is the difference between playing and not playing, and i respect that totally, the more people playing AND ENJOYING this game the better, but when little jonny who is now 6ft tall, 18 years old and a strapping young man cant carry a 2 kilo bag around a field for 4 hours, i think its a bit of a **** take if im honest.

What scares me more is no doubt someone will soon get a no win no fee case in court claiming a heavy tour bag he has carried has done long term damage to he's back, then we will all be forced to use trolleys for H&S reasons.

But even if it were our business, you dont know that the lad you are judging hasn't got a heart condition or some other reason that isn't obvious to the eye.

This thread is the same as one on belly putters and GPS devices - what runs through it is " I dont do it so it's not right" If trolleys are not banned then you are free to use them 9 or 90, fit or fat - the course will quickly recover in the springtime - just get on with your own game!

Chris

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Oddsocks why does it bother you that juniors, or anybody else for that matter, uses a trolley with a tour bag? When I asked why it was in relation to you saying you hate seeing juniors or anybody that is fit and healthy using a trolley and would like to see more people carry. You still haven't really answered that.

If the average healthy person carries, they are generally more aware of the weight of their bag and more importantly keep on top of excess weight that is in it for that specific reason... because their carrying it. I hate this time of year when you go to nice courses, you dont see muddy foot prints all down the fairway, but you often see loads of muddy paths caused by trolleys.

Maybe if people used trolleys but with lighter bags filled with less useless stuff, then the trolleys wouldnt weigh as much and wouldnt in theory do as much damage to the course.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Who do you think you are? Why do you believe you have the right to dictate to others what they should do on the golf course? I am 35, in the armed forces, played sport all my life so more than capable of walking a golf course with a bag on my back. But hey I choose not too, as I play to relax after working hard all day. Also I live in a society where we have freedom of choice and I make the choice to use a Motocaddy. So stick that in your pipe and smoke when your on the course next with your bag on your back filled up with all your crap walking straight across a green to take a short cut. Because I am sure in winter taking short cuts across greens with an extra 20 kilos on your back causes no damage at all does it????
I bet your part of the Mafia that thinks 4 balls should get round in 3 hours.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site

some of you have missed my point,IF you need to use a trolley for health reasons that's fine i have no objections and i have no objections for the use in summer when the ground is normally firmer it is the use by juniors or older members who can carry in the winter months but still choose to lumber along with bags laden and yes they should walk were directed but in soft conditions it does not take long for the ground to turn into a scene from the Somme and what do they do when an area gets muddy they walk around it causing more damage i wonder by some reactions on here if you have your own personal comfort issues above that of the course and i bet you will be the first to moan when areas are roped of in summer to repair damage caused by the trolleys.
. , : ? etc please,
makes it easier to read ,got half way through this and stopped . why do you assume someone that looks fit is healthy ? could have numerous problems , if the course is wet enough to be churned up then mayb it should be closed ,

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do carry a lot of stuff in winter when playing in my bag. So what is in there then??? A fleece jacket in case it gets cold, a full set of winter waterproofs and a set of winter mits. A thermos with some hot drink in it, a big bottle of water and a load of fruit to stop any hunger. What do you carry the obligatory 2 cans of Coke and 2 king size mars bars? I think about my health so like to carry healthy items with me at all times.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The problem is ChrisD a forum is made up from individuals, who have their own opinion. That's what makes for a forum and sometimes the best debates as you recently found out in your traditions thread. I think I tried to make it clear that if the difference between a trolley or not means the difference between playing or not them im all for it.

Let me attack it from another angle. The junior captain my my club is about 17/18 years old, he is around 6" and plays to around 10hc. he is by no means a hacker so doesnt carry 10/20 balls, i dont even think he has a full 14 clubs in the bag, is very fit and athletic and plays alot of other sports in he's spare time. yet when ever he is playing weekend games, he rolls up with a powercaddy, cobra tour bag, he will always have everything in that bag, waterproofs (although its summer), brolly(See previous statement), packed lunch you name it.

Now we will takes he's farther, around early to mid 50's, quite overweight, plays to around 12. quite clearly he is no where near as fit, healthy and athletic as hes son, yet the farther turns up with a lightweight carry bag, full set of bats, pocket full of balls and will carry for 36 holes.

Out of both who do you think should be carrying?

My point isnt for and against them, but more against them when the person using them has no medical reason for using them. Its often these users that will have the bag loaded for every possible national disaster in case they have to sleep on the course for multiply days/nights, and in my opinion its this excess weight and wear which hits the course hardest during its wet months.

Jonny

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So with that statement, do you think its unrealistic for a grown man to carry a whopping 8 kilo around a course. after all, thats 8 whole bags of sugar!

Strap 8 kilos to your back and walk around with it for a day. You will notice it.

I think it's not unreasonable to do it... but nor do I think its really necessary to do it.

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Just so were clear, it's ok to wreck the course if your not in good health but not if your a strapping young man who could run round the course if he felt like it?

Ok carry on.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Just so were clear, it's ok to wreck the course if your not in good health but not if your a strapping young man who could run round the course if he felt like it?

Ok carry on.

Andy, do you not agree that less trolley traffic would do less damage to the course. Im not saying its ok to wreck the course whether your fit or not, but surely in principle the course has a better chance of recovering the less its used by 13/14 kilo pull trolleys and 15-18kilo electric trolleys

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Strap 8 kilos to your back and walk around with it for a day. You will notice it.

I think it's not unreasonable to do it... but nor do I think its really necessary to do it.

but its not really for a full day is it.

Any average round is 4 hours, now take out of that the waiting around, waiting to play, time on the greens and time between shots, i bet that bag is carried for less than 2 full hours max.

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Andy, do you not agree that less trolley traffic would do less damage to the course. Im not saying its ok to wreck the course whether your fit or not, but surely in principle the course has a better chance of recovering the less its used by 13/14 kilo pull trolleys and 15-18kilo electric trolleys

Just to play devils advocate those who are not so fit should be made to carry for the exercise and the fit young fellas should be allowed to use a trolley as they were at the gym at 6 this morning so need a rest. If a trolley causes that much damage they should be banned for everyone. Not replacing divots or repairing pitch marks causes far more damage to the course anyway.

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What is the current trend for everyone to have a trolley, once the preserve of the injured or the elderly golfer now it has become a must have for everyone,what happened to having a carry bag and stand,it makes my blood boil to see fit looking golfers churning up the turf near the greens in winter with what can only be described as sheds on wheels and what do they have in those massive bags?? i have always carried unless on holiday and use a buggy if asked to and carry the following,set of clubs,tees,6 balls,2 gloves,ball marker,pitch repair tool and a couple of pencils that is it,if it is raining i wear my all weathers and cant see the point of a brolly,if your worried about getting wet/sun or cold PLAY SNOOKER.

Im 30, fit as a fiddle and I use a trolley(with hedgehogs in winter). You better ring an ambulance now as I feel your blood is boiling and I wouldn't want nothing bad happen to you:)
I've seen kids as young as 10 using electric trolleys, couldn't give a flying tosh tbh. Too much stuff going on in MY OWN life to be bothered by a complete young stranger using a trolley.

Why wear your all weathers if your not worried about getting wet. Just wear the normal clobber, as you know waterproofs can get quite restrictive on the swing.......lol.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What is the current trend for everyone to have a trolley, once the preserve of the injured or the elderly golfer now it has become a must have for everyone,what happened to having a carry bag and stand,it makes my blood boil to see fit looking golfers churning up the turf near the greens in winter with what can only be described as sheds on wheels and what do they have in those massive bags?? i have always carried unless on holiday and use a buggy if asked to and carry the following,set of clubs,tees,6 balls,2 gloves,ball marker,pitch repair tool and a couple of pencils that is it,if it is raining i wear my all weathers and cant see the point of a brolly,if your worried about getting wet/sun or cold PLAY SNOOKER.

I really can't believe how many of you actually took the bait on what has to be (possibly) the stupidest post of the week.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
We operate an 'honesty policy', ie if you can carry in winter then do so, seems to work OK, this has just reminded me to switch this weekend, might start a thread on carry bags as I could do with a new one.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I do love they fact that during debates you get some reply with indepth and reason behind their views & opinions, and some who just reply with sarcasm.