Senior (age)

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our North District scratch comp is 55 too, was asked to play it this year for the first time as i was 55 in March
You could've easily sneaked in years go :p.
It varies club to club, a few are over 50, but most are 55+ some 60, the odd one 65 and over [ on the day of the comp ].
Usually 4 prizes in each age category , plus a scratch prize and the overall winner. I qualify for them all :eek::D:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Ours dropped from 60 to 55 recently, much to Mrs. BiM's amusement as I suddenly qualified. :mad: Think they binned of the subs. Of little interest to me purely because almost everything is midweek and I still work full time.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I remember I jumped for joy when I finally reached 55, of all the guys I played with on a Monday I was the youngest and one by one they left the swindle and started to play in the senior comp instead. It reached the point where I switched to playing on Tuesday to avoid being on my own.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
55 at ours but you don’t automatically become a senior member then, you need to write a short note saying you’d like to join, enclose a fiver and pop it in the seniors letter box.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ridiculous..ageism.

Yet another reason why I will never join a golf club.

One of the niceties is that it actually gives seniors a chance to win (those with a 'correct' handicap anyway) when it is a seniors only comp.

The difference between a winning club comp score and a seniors is quite noticeable on many an occasion.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
55 is the qualifying age at my club so finally get there next year. A few more comps per year to enter but all of their matches are midweek so won't be able to play in those too often or I'll run out of leave quickly

balaclava

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the helpful replies.
From those replies there's a couple of things that caught my attention (I will separate them in posts for individual replied).
Q1. There are nationally agreed age qualifications for certain events but some Clubs have chosen a different age for local events. My Club uses Intelligent Golf (which I presume is also in 99% of all Clubs) that system classifies everyone as 'Senior' at age 55. Question: Those of you at Club where Seniors are 60 . . . have you amended IG from 55 to 60?

balaclava

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Q2. Membership of the Seniors' Section at some Clubs is via subscription i.e. you are not a member unless you pay an annual membership fee. My Club wouldn't have that saying it would create a club within a club making the Seniors' Section a Society. Those of you at Clubs in this category - was that ever an issue at your Club; is the Seniors' Section a Society with it's own constitution?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the helpful replies.
From those replies there's a couple of things that caught my attention (I will separate them in posts for individual replied).
Q1. There are nationally agreed age qualifications for certain events but some Clubs have chosen a different age for local events. My Club uses Intelligent Golf (which I presume is also in 99% of all Clubs) that system classifies everyone as 'Senior' at age 55. Question: Those of you at Club where Seniors are 60 . . . have you amended IG from 55 to 60?

Our club uses age 60, and IG reflects that in telling members whether they are eligible for comps or not.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Remember when it was 50 at my previous club, and it got moved up to 55. Some of those just coming up to 50 kicked off, and some of the older seniors were chuffed not to have fit 50 year olds pinching the sweep. But those who had become seniors at 50 but weren't yet 55 suddenly found themselves out of it, and it kicked off again.