Senior (age)

NearHull

Visit site
Q2. Membership of the Seniors' Section at some Clubs is via subscription i.e. you are not a member unless you pay an annual membership fee. My Club wouldn't have that saying it would create a club within a club making the Seniors' Section a Society. Those of you at Clubs in this category - was that ever an issue at your Club; is the Seniors' Section a Society with it's own constitution?
We had exactly the same situation. We tried to get all our traditions/games/comps etc onto paper. We had the temerity to call it a ‘Constitution!‘ and we had a joining fee (£10). After many arguments with the Board we settled on calling it a ‘Seniors Guide’ with a voluntary donation.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm 59 and have been playing for the county seniors team for the last 4 years. As a Cat 1 player I have no interest in playing Monday stablefords off the yellow tees. Anyway, seniors are 60 and over at my club so I don't have to worry about it for another 3 weeks ?

D

Deleted Member 1156

So I've been looking for comps to play in on Golf Empire and I spied the "50+" filter.
In Scotland ??????? there are loads of great looking seniors opens for over 50s, but here south of the border we have to wait til 55.

All seems a bit bizarre ?
Quite a few are 60+ ?

dronfield

Visit site
Most clubs seem to work on aged 55 as being the qualifying one for Senior status, but I played in a Seniors Open day last year at Lindrick where the comp was for aged 50 upwards (as per the European Tour regs).

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The Zoo was a "club within the club" type Seniors.
When Mentmore closed a few years back quite a few went there but the section was so cliquey they left after a year.
We're 55 for Senior comps run by the club but the "Senior Section" is called the Elders as the club , going waaaay back into the mists of time, wouldn't let them call themselves the Seniors as they start at 57....confused?
Another week and I won't care as we'll all be in the club....

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My Dad was complaining he couldn't end a senior comp (perhaps Veterans) as he was 70. Apparently that made him vintage category instead. I sort of see rules going the other way but I'm not sure what advantage he may posses at 70 over say a 60 year old.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Senior Opens seem to be largely 55, although I think it is 60 in Cornwall....

Our club the Senior Section is (wait for this) 55 is you're not working full time, other wise it is 60. I am not a fan of of the "club within a club" mentality and am still working so not a consideration.

A mate of mine was 50 this year, he hit the roof when i mentioned Senior Opens to him.... until he saw the prices! :) still a few years to wait for him!