Lowering the senior age from 55yrs down to 50 years old

peld

Visit site
its ridiculous its below 65 anywhere to qualify for reduced membership fees
The 50-60 age bracket is by far the richest generation with more disposable income than anyone else, not sure why thy qualify for any special treatment. Total wealth amongst the early 60s is almost nine times as high as those aged in their early 30s yet somehow younger people pay more?!

BillyTheFish777

Visit site
The 50-60 age bracket is by far the richest generation with more disposable income than anyone else, not sure why thy qualify for any special treatment. Total wealth amongst the early 60s is almost nine times as high as those aged in their early 30s yet somehow younger people pay more?!
I don't think anyone's talking about reduced membership fees. It's more a discussion of when can you play in Seniors' events. At my club, there are no discounts for seniors.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suspect you are referring to the senior series which is 50, but you cannot represent England Seniors until you are 55 and all scratch events are 55. I understand though that they are discussing lowering that to 50. All Regional and County events to my knowledge are also 55 currently.
Yes, of course, EG Senior Series. 50 seems OK until I realize I'm competing with guys 25 years younger... however can still do it on my day.🤣🤣

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Whilst this thread is not about that is is quite a assumption to make. Probably comes from reading the newspapers, online bloggers etc rather than being amongst seniors. Every generation has those that are well off and those that are not.

Having worked as home customer service adviser for years I have seen many a pensioner living near the breadline and that was in the 80s 90s I bet ot is an awful lot worse now.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I am around the age discussed and have noticed over the last couple of years there are a number of senior open's available to the over 50's which I have had the pleasure of participating in.

peld

Visit site
Whilst this thread is not about that is is quite a assumption to make. Probably comes from reading the newspapers, online bloggers etc rather than being amongst seniors. Every generation has those that are well off and those that are not.

Having worked as home customer service adviser for years I have seen many a pensioner living near the breadline and that was in the 80s 90s I bet ot is an awful lot worse now.

its not an assumption in the slightest. its direct from the ONS. The average wealth of a 60 year old is NINE times that of someone in early 30s. The baby boomers are richest generation to have ever lived.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...acteristicingreatbritain/april2018tomarch2020

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To join my club it’s £2600 for a 60yr old man.
under 30 yr old it’s £1300.
so special treatment it’s not.

Reactions: AAC

AAC

Visit site
Should be going the other way. 55 is not old any more, young whipersnappers .........:rolleyes:

I am an old fart whichever way I cut, slice or dice it. Best to just get on with it and hope that when I go past 75 the club still offers a discount to those with enough member years under their belts ;)

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
55 at our club, no discount for senior's membership. Interestingly, the takeup for senior's matches has increased substantially this year after being in the doldrums for ages.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
its not an assumption in the slightest. its direct from the ONS. The average wealth of a 60 year old is NINE times that of someone in early 30s. The baby boomers are richest generation to have ever lived.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...acteristicingreatbritain/april2018tomarch2020

The problems comes with extrapolating that to 'seniors should not get discounts'. You make the inference that all seniors are well off.

It is always with the problem with statistics.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Nairn is 55, great for me I think there's only a couple of us under 60, only way I get a prize is in the 55 to 60 section especially with all those bandits over 60🤣

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Ours is 55+, but I can see some merit in reducing it to 50 if your section has limited numbers.

The other point I would make is that, in this day and age, a minority of people do retire or go into semi retirement earlier, and have more time on their hands during the week. It does make sense to integrate those lucky individuals into a section of the club to avoid them playing solo golf or in the same small group all the time.

D

Deleted member 23344

Why lower it when, on average, people are living longer!

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Why lower it when, on average, people are living longer!
No stats to back it up, but my suspicion is that 50 (and 55) year olds are probably a bit fitter and healthier these days too.
I'm old enough to take advantage of senior open criteria for a day out, but definite still consider myself up to the task of playing with the youth.