Scotland v England GM Ryder Cup Match Feb 20th/21st 09.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Yeah, at this moment in time, me too. However, I am not ging to book anything til mid Jan, as all things are subject to change. That is life.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I go to work a night-shift and a stramash breaks out! Crumbs.

Anyhooooo..... it's happening in some form or other. That's for sure. Dodger has been a star and is to be applauded for the effort and info.

So as not to get too carried away I have looked back at this post and count 10 (yes, only 10) definites so far, by coincidence 5 English and 5 Scots. 3 Scots and 3 English have booked an hotel so far so I hardly think either of us are planning to re-occupy the town. They're simply the ones who have committed early so as not to miss out.

We are not planning the Ryder Cup itself here, remember. If someone has to play for the opposition then so be it. It'll be friendly fourballs, I'm sure, with a bit of banter thrown in. I'm quite happy to miss a 3 footer on the last for Wales if needs be....or indeed caddy for someone if we outnumber the spaces available. It's a wee get together for a bit of a laugh and a chance to put some faces to names, nothing more in my mind.

Is everybody stressed about Xmas or something? If you want to go, say so, if you don't then stop worrying about it. It's called going with the flow.

Now can normal service be resumed, please?

Oops.....I sounded like my old headmaster, there. Sorry guys.

I'll give myself 100 lines.

DCB

Visit site
Having looked at all the posts this is the way I see it at present.

Scotland

Dodger
J_F (Bkd)
DCB (Bkd)
SS2 Bkd)
Toad (?)

England

IMO2
TonyN
Murphthemog
Tincup (Bkd)
gjbike (Bkd)
Vig (?)

There's lots of time yet, but lets make sure we can make this happen. There's been a lot of work behind the scenes this week and to get a venue, date and an accomodation list out by midweek this has taken a fair bit of effort on Dodgers part. We've got a good course to go to, a good rate and very reasonable food costs at the club.It gives a wee target date in the diary to look forward to. There may well be some in and some out before the date, but lets try and get 16 folks on the tee at Goswick on the 20th Feb and make this happen.

Dave

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Guys.

As I have not missed a Scottish forum meet yet I thought I’d better post.

I am out. Our wee one starts nursery in March and the first month’s fees are therefore due in Feb. As my wife does not start work until March, February will be the tightest month financially ever for us.

As much as I am desperate to go I just cannot justify it to the wife or even myself this time.

As a Rule Britannia & God Save The Queen singing Rangers supporter I would have just got confused over what side to play for anyway :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I don't really understand murphthemogs post re telling folk to calm down and not believing the fantastic response....
The way I see it is that as JF and DCB have stated we are on course to reach a figure of 16(only 10-12 at the moment I haven't checked the figure but I know it aint everyone),a figure that if we reach I will be both suprised and delighted.If the guys who know they are coming wish to book up their hotel 3 month in advance then why not? I do this all the time when we have sorted out where we are going to play,gives me something concrete to look forward to and nothing better than having a bit of light at the end of the dark tunnel that can be winter and bloody xmas!!It also lets the guys fast off the mark get the best options and also putt cash away for the weekend.

As said before if people wish to go and commit early then fantastic I for one can't wait to meet up with everyone and have 2 days of great golf/banter and friendship if people can't make it then don't worry hopefully you can make the next meet or the one after but the more the merrier,if we go over 16 then I will need to do some arm twisting at my club but don't envisage that to be a problem.

On a side note it would be great if this thread could be kept on the lead page of this part of the forum.....can this be done?Can we get it done as it saves opening new threads and tracking back to see whos in and whos not???

Edited to say that the course is booked in case anyone wonders so it will be going ahead 100 percent espec now that some have booked up hotels too.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
On a side note it would be great if this thread could be kept on the lead page of this part of the forum.....can this be done?Can we get it done as it saves opening new threads and tracking back to see whos in and whos not???

Not sure if that's possible, Dodger. Best user option available is simply to sort by last post made, I think. Sure the thread will slip down the pages as things slow down but it's easy enough to find. Best just to add a post to it every now and again with an update on who's in probably.

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Weather will be great I have no doubt, if it's anything like yesterday on our mini meet (me and A_F) at Landsdowne, and despite going equipped for an artic expedition we were in polo tops for the whole round as it was so warm.

Global Warming is great. ;)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You are clearly not going to the Kent meet on Saturday. It looks like it could be snowing. Odd that, sun in Scotland, snow in Kent. So much for global warming.

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You are clearly not going to the Kent meet on Saturday. It looks like it could be snowing. Odd that, sun in Scotland, snow in Kent. So much for global warming.

It could not do anything but improve the weather up here m8.

DCB

Visit site
If the guys who know they are coming wish to book up their hotel 3 month in advance then why not?

Since I am a canny Scots it makes sense to book now as the TravelLodge was available on Secial Offer prices booking it this far ahead. :rolleyes:

As far as the rest goes, it will, as Dodger says, be great to meet up and put a face to the names. I've been to the two Scots meets this year and have had a great time meeting new friends and playing a good game of golf. Added bonus this time is we get to have a few beers after the game on the Friday without having to jump in the car and head home. :)

Someone who has posted worried about handicap levels, don't be worried, were all handicap golfers here. Come along if you can, in a betterball format anything can happen (and usually does). It will be a great outing whatever happens. :mad:

I am really looking forward to this one. ( Not that I didn't look forward to the last ones, chaps!) ;)

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
We played St Andrews in January and it was a fine day, we played the Rosemount in March and that was another fine day so I would be confident that the weekend will be enjoyable even if it is knee deep with snow because the pubs are very cosy indeed.

p.s.

Tony, can I put my hat back in the ring ?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: