Sand Moor or Moor Allerton (Lakes) ?

Skytot

Visit site
My mate is organising our annual golf trip which is in Leeds this year . Playing Headingley definitely but the golf travel agent has given him the option of the above.
Anyone give me their thoughts please ?

Mandofred

Visit site
I don't know anything about Sand Moor, but Moor Allerton is pretty hilly (first 18 holes) and the guys I play with get knackered playing there. 19-27 are a flatter nine. I like it, but it is hilly.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sand Moor is pleasantly contoured, not as bad as Moor Allerton.
MA is off the beaten track and can be claggy.
Incidentally, the entrance to Headingley can be difficult to find. It isn't in Headingley it's in Adel. And don't try to take a buggy over the 18th bridge!!

Mandofred

Visit site
As long as you are thinking about Moor Allerton, why not Scarcroft? Right next to Moor Allerton and is pleasant to play during the summer, although it doesn't have the zing of some of the holes at MA, or is it ONLY MA or Sandmoor? It's a pain to find though.....

Skytot

Visit site
We are going with Headingley on the Thursday. Sand Moor on the Friday. Enquiring about Willow Valley on our way home on the Saturday, but trying to find a course on a Saturday is a bit of a pain in the arse as most clubs have their comps .

Thanks everyone for their input .

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Moor Allerton, lovely course and setting. It's 3 x 9 holes, make sure you have 10-18 included. They are the best 9, fabulous set of holes.

(Sorry, missed the last post. I'll leave this here in case it helps someone else. Sounds a great trip, there was no wrong answer 👍)

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
We are going with Headingley on the Thursday. Sand Moor on the Friday. Enquiring about Willow Valley on our way home on the Saturday, but trying to find a course on a Saturday is a bit of a pain in the arse as most clubs have their comps .

Willow Valley is my club, championship course is as tough as you’ll play. Loads of buggies as well. Our comps are Sundays, so you should be able to get out at a reasonable time if you take the course as your last day option.

The Fader

Visit site

Don't know if you could get a time on a Saturday but Cleckheaton is a lovely track. Great set of par 3's. Especially the 5th.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As long as you are thinking about Moor Allerton, why not Scarcroft? Right next to Moor Allerton and is pleasant to play during the summer, although it doesn't have the zing of some of the holes at MA, or is it ONLY MA or Sandmoor? It's a pain to find though.....
If you're not already fixed up on this, then.........
Yes..... a little-known GEM & much easier to play on a first visit which isn't the case with MAGC & Sandmoor. For a variety of golf MAGC is far superior to Sandmoor.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Aaaah..... just seen this. Don't know where you are heading back to but if it's on your route I'd suggest you make enquires at Manchester GC near Rochdale rather than be disappointed by Willow Valley. :oops: :unsure:

Skytot

Visit site
Aaaah..... just seen this. Don't know where you are heading back to but if it's on your route I'd suggest you make enquires at Manchester GC near Rochdale rather than be disappointed by Willow Valley. :oops: :unsure:
Everything all booked now so we managed to get 3 tee times on the Saturday at Willow Valley . I know Manchester GC , I went for my Driver & Putter fitting there .Ive never played it but it comes highly recommended and on my local bucket list

Skytot

Visit site
What’s wrong with Willow Valley ?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Everything all booked now so we managed to get 3 tee times on the Saturday at Willow Valley . I know Manchester GC , I went for my Driver & Putter fitting there .Ive never played it but it comes highly recommended and on my local bucket list
Aye, Sat tee times are not easy to get...... at least WV won't cost a great deal... not a favorite of mine as you'll have gathered. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: MGC is the most extensive golf course I've ever played on. There were people moving on the horizon that were on the same golf course as us but only the start of the back 9.

Skytot

Visit site
I’ve heard good reports about Sand Moor but not heard anything good or bad about Headingley . Anyone played it ?

D-S

Visit site
Aye, Sat tee times are not easy to get...... at least WV won't cost a great deal... not a favorite of mine as you'll have gathered. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: MGC is the most extensive golf course I've ever played on. There were people moving on the horizon that were on the same golf course as us but only the start of the back 9.
I’ve never heard of a course being described as ‘extensive’ - an interesting concept.

Cleeve Hill is certainly the most extensive course I have ever played and would be amazed if it wasn’t for most people who visit there. On my first visit there many years ago in a club match we asked the opposition after a couple of holes where the course went from then and they pointed at a tree (just about the only one on the course) which looked at least 3 miles away and they said the course went beyond that tree - we simply didn’t believe them (they were right though). An extensive golfing experience not to be missed.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Sand Moor is fantastic. Personally I was never a fan of Headingley, but I understand it is much improved over recent years with a lot of the trees removed.

Willow Valley is just long with lots of water. Which is fine if you like that sort of thing, but it gets boring very quickly for me.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Willow Valley is my club, championship course is as tough as you’ll play. Loads of buggies as well.
I wasn't aware of Willow Valley being a Championship course although it does describe one of the courses as such. What Championship events have they hosted?

Last edited: