Sand Moor or Moor Allerton (Lakes) ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wasn't aware of Willow Valley being a Championship course although it does describe one of the courses as such. What Championship events have they hosted?
My old club used to call itself a championship course, as do many big and long courses. It's largely a marketing tool, I stopped taking notice of it as something to be impressed by a long time ago.

I note Mel's comment but even so......

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
What’s wrong with Willow Valley ?

It's muddy in the winter, as most courses round here are, bunkers - there's too many and the quality suffers as a result - but there's a programme to reduce and improve them
In the summer it's a great test of golf, and while it won't be in the condition of the two Leeds courses, I suspect you're paying a fraction of the price?

Ignore the detractors, it definitely isn't boring - especially so on your 1st visit - some superb holes, and great views once you get out on the back 7. I do think some people dislike it because they are stretched by the difficulty of the course.

Friendly welcome in the clubhouse as well. (y)

D

Deleted member 15344

My old club used to call itself a championship course, as do many big and long courses. It's largely a marketing tool, I stopped taking notice of it as something to be impressed by a long time ago.

I note Mel's comment but even so......

It is very much a marketing tool but these days most don’t fall for it unless it’s pay and play golfers

A true championship course is imo a course that’s hosted top level events - mainly national Amatuer comps , regional and final qualifying or ET events

The Fader

Visit site
You will enjoy Headingley. Always in decent nick.

3 really nice par 3's on the back 9 - especially the 17th.

The 8th and 14th par 5's offer decent birdie chances if the course is running.

The approach shot into the 1st will test your mettle unless you can reach the bottom of the hill with your drive.
Generally a downhill lie over water if not!

A fairly fast moving road splits the course. You cross it after the 3rd and again after the 11th. Look both ways !!

Skytot

Visit site
It is very much a marketing tool but these days most don’t fall for it unless it’s pay and play golfers

A true championship course is imo a course that’s hosted top level events - mainly national Amatuer comps , regional and final qualifying or ET events
On Willow Valley website it says the Championship course hosted Yorkshire PGA championship from 2001 to 2013. It can’t be too shabby then

Skytot

Visit site
You will enjoy Headingley. Always in decent nick.

3 really nice par 3's on the back 9 - especially the 17th.

The 8th and 14th par 5's offer decent birdie chances if the course is running.

The approach shot into the 1st will test your mettle unless you can reach the bottom of the hill with your drive.
Generally a downhill lie over water if not!

A fairly fast moving road splits the course. You cross it after the 3rd and again after the 11th. Look both ways !!
Thanks . Sounds like Maesdu GC where you have to cross over a road twice

D

Deleted member 15344

On Willow Valley website it says the Championship course hosted Yorkshire PGA championship from 2001 to 2013. It can’t be too shabby then

When it comes to regional PGA events a lot of times it’s down to which courses are happy to host them -it’s the same with Pro Ams - decent courses but it’s not what I would class as a “championship course” but everyone will have their own definitions

It’s a phrase that gets thrown around to try and entice people - just like “hidden gem” etc

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I doubt the standard of the Yorkshire PGA members (generally shopkeepers and teaching pros) is as high as the Yorkshire County Amateur Team.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve heard good reports about Sand Moor but not heard anything good or bad about Headingley . Anyone played it ?
After all the work on it in recent years it is now easily the 3rd course in N Leeds after Moortown & Allwoodley...... & I'd have Scarcroft ahead of Sandmoor which though, always very well-presented, has just too many poor holes as well as 4 par 3's that are just too challenging for your average Club golfer. It has a reputation that is well above that deserved IMO.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve never heard of a course being described as ‘extensive’ - an interesting concept.

Cleeve Hill is certainly the most extensive course I have ever played and would be amazed if it wasn’t for most people who visit there. On my first visit there many years ago in a club match we asked the opposition after a couple of holes where the course went from then and they pointed at a tree (just about the only one on the course) which looked at least 3 miles away and they said the course went beyond that tree - we simply didn’t believe them (they were right though). An extensive golfing experience not to be missed.
Ah, pretty much as you describe Cleeve Hill. 18 holes in a space that would easily accept a further 18.... perhaps even more than that.

Reactions: D-S