Should lift and place stay for non elite amateur golf

Ibuyalotofclubs

Visit site
Covid had hit us all bad but the rules of golf have become flexible, especially the options given for clubs with bunkers. Our club opted for the mark, lift and place rule. Under normal rules when you walk up to a bunker and find your ball in a animal foot or someone has decided to play sand castles in it, golf has just become an even harder game.
My question is; could the R & A give clubs the option to keep the covid rule in force, this could possibly speed up play, make the game more enjoyable and possibly stop players leaving clubs due to those who find it fun to damage golf courses

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Problems occur when bunkers aren't raked.
Had a potential situation a couple of weeks ago where it looked like there'd been a route march through a bunker.
My ball was ok but there were several areas where you wouldn't have found a respectable lie within 6 inches so doubling the disadvantage
To my mind bunkers should either be kept raked smooth or just left and play it as it lies and make it a disadvantage going into one.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Covid had hit us all bad but the rules of golf have become flexible, especially the options given for clubs with bunkers. Our club opted for the mark, lift and place rule. Under normal rules when you walk up to a bunker and find your ball in a animal foot or someone has decided to play sand castles in it, golf has just become an even harder game.
My question is; could the R & A give clubs the option to keep the covid rule in force, this could possibly speed up play, make the game more enjoyable and possibly stop players leaving clubs due to those who find it fun to damage golf courses

No.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My view is that should not.

This is no real difference to walking to your ball in the middle of a fairway to find it 2" down in a hole taken by somebody who has not replaced the divot.

Tell players they will always get relief and even more players will not bother raking a bunker with a "it does matter attitude".

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Perhaps because they are rubbish and would add a lot of plastic to our already ruined planet.
Unlike all the tees and ball rubbish golf generates. I don’t accept they are rubbish our bunkers have been no worse for using mini rakes, it just takes a bit more effort from the greens staff to keep bunkers maintained and players to do their bit.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Unlike all the tees and ball rubbish golf generates. I don’t accept they are rubbish our bunkers have been no worse for using mini rakes, it just takes a bit more effort from the greens staff to keep bunkers maintained and players to do their bit.

Adding to plastic doesn't help even if there are already 100 billion tons out there.

I assume you are not taking preferred lies at your place?

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Adding to plastic doesn't help even if there are already 100 billion tons out there.

Normal bunker rules in place since week 2 of golf resuming. I take the ECO point but I can’t foresee bunker rakes returning in less than 9 months & probably longer than that, so I am not seeing it as a throw away product.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

We are taking preferred lies at our club but there are times when it looks like a heard of elephants with golf shoes on have been in the bunker at times it is the best place in one of the three footprints to remain within 6 ".

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think it's been a great change. Certainly gives the player a chance of making an up and down.

It does remove the jeopardy of finding out why lie awaits after an errand shot.

It also removes the skill, luck and spectacle of a player pulling off a brilliant recovery.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I was actually disappointed with the rakes at Bearwood Lakes even on a dry day. Very doubtful they would have been much use in wet bunkers like today so until we can get a functional rake back in use pick and place is a sensible option. If you can't find a suitable spot within 6 inches then that's the rub of the green like a ball in a divot or a bad bounce

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We are taking preferred lies at our club but there are times when it looks like a heard of elephants with golf shoes on have been in the bunker at times it is the best place in one of the three footprints to remain within 6 ".

Surely all footprints have a high spot?