Ryder Cup - Man for Man

D

Deleted member 15344

Judge him by his own, he is in danger of falling out of therop 50 in WR, not good for a former no1

Yep he hasnt had his best year but as i suggested - he hasnt been picked because of his form which whilst isnt up to the top standards in recent weeks has showed an up turn in the big events.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 18588

They are stating facts when they say that Westwood is an influence around the changing room

Paul McGinley is stating a fact when he gives his reasons why he picks a player

They are stating a fact when they say how well Westwood gets on with other players. Facts confirmed by other players when speaking about Westwood.

All of which are unquantifiable and largely an opinion as to how they see it.

Also they are functions he could more than adequately fulfill as a Vice Captain.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yep he hasnt had his best year but as i suggested - he has been picked because of his form which whilst isnt up to the top standards in recent weeks has showed an up turn in the big events.

Really, he has been picked because he's been round the block and is still in the top 50, current form has nothing to do with it, if it was he'd have missed out in place if a few others.

D

Deleted member 15344

All of which are unquantifiable and largely an opinion as to how they see it.

Also they are functions he could more than adequately fulfill as a Vice Captain.

Paul McGinley stated he wanted him playing as the player leader out there with the rookies ( as he was with Colsearts ) holding their hands and be their playing the shots with them. Its a role someone has had in every European Ryder Cup team for decades now.

D

Deleted member 15344

Really, he has been picked because he's been round the block and is still in the top 50, current form has nothing to do with it, if it was he'd have missed out in place if a few others.

Sorry made a type - "he hasnt been picked because of his form"

Big-Dog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Take on board all that is said but the teams are picked and so lets get behind them as all the posts are saying however with no Tiger and Tom Watson at the helm how much more comfortable will the USA Team be. Heart and mind says a UK win however just that nagging feeling of a relaxed motivated USA team pushed with Tom ? It is going to be brilliant, beer already on ice, work booked off with early tee time for the Saturday sorted, BBQ Sunday cannot wait. Wife going shopping small price to pay, however maybe a bit more to pay !!

Here is to a Europe Victory, cold beer and perfectly cooked ribs burgers etc etc.

Hit em straight................ish

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think there are loads of factors rather than WR positions and even current form to a point. With things like 4BBB and foursomes, finding the right pairing is the key. It isn't medal and so as long as you take one less than the opposition it makes not a jot whether you win a hole with a birdie or double.

Experience will help although I'm sure the rookies will have a say on both sides. I also think the crowd, the course and the conditions will be a factor. As for the result, I'm going for another nail biter and a one point win for Europe

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Looking at the two teams for next week, and the current odds for either of to win, it got me thinking - is the european team that much stronger than the american team?

Now i know they have home advantage, so you could say that is a factor into how the bookies are pricing up for the event, but i had a look at the World Ranking of each player in each team.

Again - i am well aware that the WR does not specifically mean that 'A' is better than 'B' so to speak, but it does generalize how good a player has been recently.

Rory McIlroy (1) Jim Furyk (5)
Sergio Garcia (3) Bubba Watson (7)
Henrik Stenson (4) Matt Kuchar (9)
Justin Rose (6) Rickie Fowler (10)
Martin Kaymer (12) Phil Mickelson (11)
Graeme McDowell (18) Jordan Spieth (13)
Victor Dubuisson (23) Zach Johnson (16)
Jamie Donaldson (28) Jimmy Walker (19)
Thomas Bjorn (30) Hunter Mahan (21)
Stephen Gallacher (34) Keegan Bradley (26)
Ian Poulter (37) Patrick Reed (27)
Lee Westwood (41) Webb Simpson (33)

Team USA trumps European 8-4, albeit the European team has 3 of the top 4 players in the WR list. I am also aware that MatchPlay is different to the events they play week in week out mostly of the tour

So i have listed the players, man for man, order based on thier current WR

My question is two fold - Man for Man, who has the better team ? And do you think current odds of 2/1 for USA to win are favourable?My heart is telling me to support Europe but my brain is telling me their could be money to be made here
nope, they will be humped:mmm:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Take on board all that is said but the teams are picked and so lets get behind them as all the posts are saying however with no Tiger and Tom Watson at the helm how much more comfortable will the USA Team be. Heart and mind says a UK win however just that nagging feeling of a relaxed motivated USA team pushed with Tom ? It is going to be brilliant, beer already on ice, work booked off with early tee time for the Saturday sorted, BBQ Sunday cannot wait. Wife going shopping small price to pay, however maybe a bit more to pay !!

Here is to a Europe Victory, cold beer and perfectly cooked ribs burgers etc etc.

Hit em straight................ish

it's European, hasn't been UK for a zillion years. They included Europe as the UK were getting turned over every two years and the Yanks lost interest it was so easy

Big-Dog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
it's European, hasn't been UK for a zillion years. They included Europe as the UK were getting turned over every two years and the Yanks lost interest it was so easy

How many of your posts have been constructive? Corrected when at the end of my post I said European Victory! but then again if it was any consolation I was drinking large amounts of European Beer and some of that was from places that are not represented in the Ryder Cup!

Come on Europe!!

Hit em Straight .........ish:rofl:

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
WR counts for nothing when they all tee it up , its who wants it more , Europe will win , if the weather turn Europe will win easy as the only bad weather player the yanks have is Ricky Fowler , Europe are more of a team but Tom Watson will make it harder this time , be a point in it , but a european victory

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
How many of your posts have been constructive? Corrected when at the end of my post I said European Victory! but then again if it was any consolation I was drinking large amounts of European Beer and some of that was from places that are not represented in the Ryder Cup!

Come on Europe!!

Hit em Straight .........ish:rofl:

and your point is? if the qualifying criteria is your post has to be constructive then 79 of yours can go and most of the forums

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lots of people mentioning the weather as an advantage for Europe. Never heard so much gash in all my life.

A lot of the yank teams grew up playing in the wind (yes they do have that in USA) they will all have played as much in the rain as the Europeans during the last 10 years as well.