Ryder Cup - Man for Man

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Looking at the two teams for next week, and the current odds for either of to win, it got me thinking - is the european team that much stronger than the american team?

Now i know they have home advantage, so you could say that is a factor into how the bookies are pricing up for the event, but i had a look at the World Ranking of each player in each team.

Again - i am well aware that the WR does not specifically mean that 'A' is better than 'B' so to speak, but it does generalize how good a player has been recently.

Rory McIlroy (1) Jim Furyk (5)
Sergio Garcia (3) Bubba Watson (7)
Henrik Stenson (4) Matt Kuchar (9)
Justin Rose (6) Rickie Fowler (10)
Martin Kaymer (12) Phil Mickelson (11)
Graeme McDowell (18) Jordan Spieth (13)
Victor Dubuisson (23) Zach Johnson (16)
Jamie Donaldson (28) Jimmy Walker (19)
Thomas Bjorn (30) Hunter Mahan (21)
Stephen Gallacher (34) Keegan Bradley (26)
Ian Poulter (37) Patrick Reed (27)
Lee Westwood (41) Webb Simpson (33)

Team USA trumps European 8-4, albeit the European team has 3 of the top 4 players in the WR list. I am also aware that MatchPlay is different to the events they play week in week out mostly of the tour

So i have listed the players, man for man, order based on thier current WR

My question is two fold - Man for Man, who has the better team ? And do you think current odds of 2/1 for USA to win are favourable?My heart is telling me to support Europe but my brain is telling me their could be money to be made here

D

Deleted member 15344

When it comes to the Ryder Cup the rankings and form etc all goes straight out of the window

Europe have beaten a much fancied and stronger US team a number of times due to their ability to gel and work together as a team

The US at times have always seemed very much singular by nature ( even more so when woods plays ) and in Medinah they started to gel as a team

Europe will always have that team ethic and that IMO will always give me the feeling that they will gain the victory

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Rory McIlroy (1) Jim Furyk (5)
Sergio Garcia (3) Bubba Watson (7)
Henrik Stenson (4) Matt Kuchar (9)
Justin Rose (6) Rickie Fowler (10)
Martin Kaymer (12) Phil Mickelson (11)
Graeme McDowell (18) Jordan Spieth (13)
Victor Dubuisson (23) Zach Johnson (16)
Jamie Donaldson (28) Jimmy Walker (19)
Thomas Bjorn (30) Hunter Mahan (21)
Stephen Gallacher (34) Keegan Bradley (26)
Ian Poulter (37) Patrick Reed (27)
Lee Westwood (41) Webb Simpson (33)
e

Just for fun, if these work out as the pairings for singles, my picks for victory are shown in bold.

Personally, I think the European team will win, but it will be extremely close.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Man for man anyone can beat anyone on their day,however the crowd the home venue
and the sheer will to win and the massive team spirit im going for a home win.

OldMate

Head Pro
Visit site
Man for man I think that there is very little separating them. Home course advantage is the main difference I can see.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Man for man I think that there is very little separating them. Home weather advantage is the main difference I can see.

I agree, think the cooler conditions could also be a factor for the Europeans. The yanks don't like to play if it's less than 80 degrees.

D

Deleted member 15344

On current or recent form, yes he is.

Really ? Top 20 in US Pga and WGC

What did Poulter , Simpson , Bjorn , Bradley , Kuchar even Phil Mickleson

Can clearly see your not Westwoods biggest fan but it's gets to see everyone getting behind them

D

Deleted member 18588

Really ? Top 20 in US Pga and WGC

What did Poulter , Simpson , Bjorn , Bradley , Kuchar even Phil Mickleson

Can clearly see your not Westwoods biggest fan but it's gets to see everyone getting behind them

Not even you can make a case based upon two events for someone who finished 107 on the Fedex rankings.

As I previously said, I genuinely hope that he does well but I still cannot see any justification for his inclusion in the team despite it apparently being taken for granted by some.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not even you can make a case based upon two events for someone who finished 107 on the Fedex rankings.

As I previously said, I genuinely hope that he does well but I still cannot see any justification for his inclusion in the team despite it apparently being taken for granted by some.

But you are talking recent form

That's his recent form

He has also won during the year as well

Yep he had a poor year by his standings but recent form shows a couple of good showings in big events - compare that to some of the others and Westwood certainly doesn't sit at the bottom in regards recent form as you suggested

D

Deleted member 18588

But you are talking recent form

That's his recent form

He has also won during the year as well

Yep he had a poor year by his standings but recent form shows a couple of good showings in big events - compare that to some of the others and Westwood certainly doesn't sit at the bottom in regards recent form as you suggested

Mickelson finished runner-up at USPGA and level with Westwood at WGC, Kuchar & Bradley both finished ahead of Westwood at WGC. His recent form is not that special, neither is his past Ryder Cup singles record.

Why he should have been considered a shoo-in for a Captain's pick is completely beyond me but nevertheless I wish him well.

D

Deleted member 15344

Mickelson finished runner-up at USPGA and level with Westwood at WGC, Kuchar & Bradley both finished ahead of Westwood at WGC. His recent form is not that special, neither is his past Ryder Cup singles record.

Why he should have been considered a shoo-in for a Captain's pick is completely beyond me but nevertheless I wish him well.

If only the Ryder Cup was just about the singles - believe there are two other formats they play - foursomes and fourballs - both formats he has done well in

And Westwood got the pick the same reason why

Seve in 95 , Harrington in 2010 and will act in the same way players like Faldo , Monty have been in recent Ryder Cups

He is there to be the experience whilst on the course - to help nurse the rookies or a rookie around the course - just like Faldo did to him in 1997

Players get picked also on how they interact with others in the team - he is the leader - he is also someone who can fit with a great number of players in both foursomes or fourballs

Europe always have that leader and more than just recent form etc and thankfully European Captains have seen that hence why Westwood is picked

D

Deleted member 18588

If only the Ryder Cup was just about the singles - believe there are two other formats they play - foursomes and fourballs - both formats he has done well in

Seve in 95 , Harrington in 2010 and will act in the same way players like Faldo , Monty have been in recent Ryder Cups

He is there to be the experience whilst on the course - to help nurse the rookies or a rookie around the course - just like Faldo did to him in 1997

Players get picked also on how they interact with others in the team - he is the leader - he is also someone who can fit with a great number of players in both foursomes or fourballs

Europe always have that leader and more than just recent form etc and thankfully European Captains have seen that hence why Westwood is picked

You and I can only speculate how he may be seen by his team-mates.

But yet again on a thread you have flip-flopped. First you tell me that his recent form is better than others and then you say recent form is irrelevant.

I really am not surprised by this lack of commitment to an argument.

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

For once you are quite right with what Westwood brings to the team