Ryder Cup European Wild Cards

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
He has been playing RC longer than any of the other players 5 in the list of all time European scorers but I don’t tbink there is one player skipper but a number of them including the players you mention
Bring back Faldo - more rc points, more majors and probably more morale boosting scenarios

D

Deleted member 15344

C'mon USA, Scottish and proud but just not European. Bjorn I feel has made bad decisions already and the Europeans just not as strong player for player. Will get well and truly humped in my opinion
Seriously ? Is that the old ABE bitter Scotsman that normally rears it’s ugly head when it comes to football tournaments. Didn’t think I would see it in golf but cheering for the USA - did you do it when Monty was around

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Seriously ? Is that the old ABE bitter Scotsman that normally rears it’s ugly head when it comes to football tournaments. Didn’t think I would see it in golf but cheering for the USA - did you do it when Monty was around

Each to their own.

I've got to be honest too. I feel no affiliation to team Europe. Nothing to do with not feeling European or not having a Scotsman to support in the line up. I just love the Ryder Cup as a spectacle, it's a fantastic sporting event and I enjoy watching it.

I also love watching Thomas, Reed, Spieth, Bubba as much as I love watching Rose, Molinari, Garcia etc.

Golf is the winner in the Ryder Cup. Come Sunday evening I don't care if the trophy says USA or Europe on it.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Nothing to do with bitterness, I feel more affiliation to the American players, I find them more interesting and better to watch. I find a few of the European players quite petulant with bad attitudes, Hatton, Garcia and mcilroy really can't stand them on a golf course. Now there are a couple of European players I enjoy watching but as a team and with the media bumming them up id honestly rather see the yanks win. I do not feel European, I don't feel British. I'm Scottish and that's it. Never really a fan of Monty, great golfer he was but not my cup of tea personally

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Is it though? It's a pretty safe, bland, unbalanced and incomplete article based on a motive to garner readership (like dozens of others)

The writer has no idea yet if this will work out or not but wont wait to find out (but doubtless he'll write another like it if Europe lose citing his foresight) And even if he has to eat his words with Garcia sinking the wining putt and collecting 4pts then guess what... he'll turn that into a self important article too, just to garner readership

Bjorn is screwed picking either Rafa or Garcia (if Europe fail)
He's even screwed if Europe win and Garcia fails (he'd be screwed too with a Europe win and a Rafa failure)

There's not many scenarios where (regardless of picks) that a RC Captain comes out totally on top (even in victory someone will micro analyse the errors) so it makes people in those kind of positions easy 'targets' for lazy journalists

So for me its not a well written article, its safe & predictable (& despite guessing it would be Garcia I don't know who I'd have picked, but I'd sure be cacking it for the next 4 weeks, so he's gone with what makes him stress-out the least and difficult to blame him for that)

D

Deleted member 15344

Is that because he the OP has slated Bjorn for picking Garcia just like yourself ?

I think a lot of what the guy says is quite poor and pretty insulting to both Bjorn and Garcia - so it seems he can’t provide his opinion ( because that’s what it is at the end of the day ) without being derogatory- guess that resonates with you.

It’s done now - it seems because of Bjorns picks some people are going to support the USA which to me is a hilarious stropinf :rofl:

Any Captain is in a no win position- I very much doubt there was a situation where everyone would be happy with the picks but I didn’t expect this sort of reaction.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Is it though? It's a pretty safe, bland, unbalanced and incomplete article based on a motive to garner readership (like dozens of others)

The writer has no idea yet if this will work out or not but wont wait to find out (but doubtless he'll write another like it if Europe lose citing his foresight) And even if he has to eat his words with Garcia sinking the wining putt and collecting 4pts then guess what... he'll turn that into a self important article too, just to garner readership

Bjorn is screwed picking either Rafa or Garcia (if Europe fail)
He's even screwed if Europe win and Garcia fails (he'd be screwed too with a Europe win and a Rafa failure)

There's not many scenarios where (regardless of picks) that a RC Captain comes out totally on top (even in victory someone will micro analyse the errors) so it makes people in those kind of positions easy 'targets' for lazy journalists

So for me its not a well written article, its safe & predictable (& despite guessing it would be Garcia I don't know who I'd have picked, but I'd sure be cacking it for the next 4 weeks, so he's gone with what makes him stress-out the least and difficult to blame him for that)

Very well written as it shows Bjorn as the Judas he is.

Whether you agree with the picks or not it proves that Bjorn is a coward who when push comes to shove hasn't got the courage to stand by his convictions despite throwing a hissy fit when the shoe was on the other foot.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Is that because he the OP has slated Bjorn for picking Garcia just like yourself ?

I think a lot of what the guy says is quite poor and pretty insulting to both Bjorn and Garcia - so it seems he can’t provide his opinion ( because that’s what it is at the end of the day ) without being derogatory- guess that resonates with you.

It’s done now - it seems because of Bjorns picks some people are going to support the USA which to me is a hilarious stropinf :rofl:

Any Captain is in a no win position- I very much doubt there was a situation where everyone would be happy with the picks but I didn’t expect this sort of reaction.

Don't really think I've slated Bjorn at all. Not my agenda as I couldn't care less who wins the Ryder Cup. It's a great sporting event.

If you look back at my first response to the picks I said I was disappointed but I wasn't surprised. Hardly slating the picks however I appreciate that you have a habit if sensationalizing things to suit your own agenda.

Would I have taken Garcia? In all honesty no I wouldn't.

Would I have taken Poulter? That would have been a huge debate but probably not.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

A very well balanced article, heavily laced with facts and figures in the early part of the piece. The conclusions he's drawn are, in the main, pointed and leave little room for argument. In truth, the only true answer that can be given is a win, and a good haul of points from Garcia. Do that and it becomes a feast of humble pie, and plaudits for Bjorn. And as the article points out, Garcia could have made life easier for Bjorn by competing in Ireland and Denmark - rhetorical question; had he already been given the nod?

I also feel Bjorn has put a target on Garcia's back. To be so out of form, and Garcia will be very aware of that, heaps pressure on Garcia and certainly puts him under the microscope.

I do hope Garcia finds his game, because on his best he's pretty much unbeatable.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do hope Garcia finds his game, because on his best he's pretty much unbeatable.
There's at least 8 people on both teams combined that you could say that about though.

What's done is done, I guess we just move on and hope that the Garcia selection isn't a mistake now. Hopefully he pulls a golf game out of his backside in the nick of time. I'll be supporting Europe of course. If nothing else, it's more fun to back the underdog isn't it? ;)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
A very well balanced article, heavily laced with facts and figures in the early part of the piece. The conclusions he's drawn are, in the main, pointed and leave little room for argument. In truth, the only true answer that can be given is a win, and a good haul of points from Garcia. Do that and it becomes a feast of humble pie, and plaudits for Bjorn. And as the article points out, Garcia could have made life easier for Bjorn by competing in Ireland and Denmark - rhetorical question; had he already been given the nod?

I also feel Bjorn has put a target on Garcia's back. To be so out of form, and Garcia will be very aware of that, heaps pressure on Garcia and certainly puts him under the microscope.

Garcia on form wont beat an on form -

Justin Thomas, DJ, Reed, Spieth, Woods, De Chambeau, Keopka,

He may be lucky and get Webb Simpson in the singles as he's the only one I can see him taking down. Possibly have a chance against Bubba, and Phil.

If they bring in birdie machine Finau then add him to the first list.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Garcia on form wont beat an on form -

Justin Thomas, DJ, Reed, Spieth, Woods, De Chambeau, Keopka,

He may be lucky and get Webb Simpson in the singles as he's the only one I can see him taking down. Possibly have a chance against Bubba, and Phil.

If they bring in birdie machine Finau then add him to the first list.

I forgot about Ricky. That could go either way.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
At least Garcia is getting off his backside and playing in Portugal now before the RC. That was my main concern !!! Hopefully he'll find some form.
And of course the danger is he has another poor event and so confidence drops further. I hope he can come into the RC and turn it on but I'm not wholly convinced at this stage.

D

Deleted member 15344

Brilliant from him - I didn’t realise how young he still is but how many times he has won. Reacted well to missing out on the RC but certainly can see him playing a number of times in the future