Ryder Cup European Wild Cards

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Listening to Henrik Stenson's press conference at the Wyndham and it sounds like it's very close in terms of points for the last qualifying spot with Poulter (qualified at the moment), Casey and Olesen all close. Stenson still thinks he's in with a chance of an automatic spot if he plays well this week and then the fedex events.

If he doesn't make it automatically would he still be a pick?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Listening to Henrik Stenson's press conference at the Wyndham and it sounds like it's very close in terms of points for the last qualifying spot with Poulter (qualified at the moment), Casey and Olesen all close. Stenson still thinks he's in with a chance of an automatic spot if he plays well this week and then the fedex events.

If he doesn't make it automatically would he still be a pick?

Personally i would be taking

Poulter
Casey
Stenson
Garcia
Oleson

with one of them getting the last automatic spot.

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think that's a good shout, Garcia not in a lot of form but matchplay is totally different and think we need some experience to back up the rookies.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

Poulter
Casey
Stenson
Garcia
Oleson

I wouldn't be adverse to much of that. But I think Pieters has a chance, purely because of his record in the last RC winning 4 points and playing with Rory. Rory will have a lot of influence over this and may well ask Bjorn to pick Pieters.

He has had a poor season, but showed signs of some form at the PGA obviously.

Certainly as tough a decision a captain has had to make. Probably since 2010 when Monty left out Casey for major champ Harrington.

Watching previous Ryder Cups on Sky, it is hard not to be sentimental and want to see Garcia there. Clearly the guy could easily turn it around and have a good event, even if he doesn't do much in then next 3 weeks. But form is form and if Olesson or Pieters or RCB has a good couple of weeks, it will be hard to leave them out.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Also good to see Stenson playing in the Wyndam. This is very much prioritising Ryder Cup over Fed Ex Cup. As he will probably end up not playing in all Fed Ex events now (if he is picked for the Ryder Cup).

Rafa also in the field.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pieters has to go after the way he played in the last one for me. Rory got the headlines but Pieters got 4 points from 5 matches. He showed some very promising form at the PGA. He makes my team.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think pieters is playing in the next 2 European events. If he does well in these I'd take him as he would tick current form and good r/c form boxes.

Worried about Stenson, Casey and Garcia form. Vets in poor form are one of the reasons we got rinsed in the last one.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pieters has to go after the way he played in the last one for me. Rory got the headlines but Pieters got 4 points from 5 matches. He showed some very promising form at the PGA. He makes my team.

Would you have picked Colsaerts in 2014 after how he played in 2012 though?

Pieters has done nothing of note since the last ryder cup, Garcia has experience and a major.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If Stenson is fit and well I'd give him a pick. He's always solid. Garcia's form has been rotten though, so I wouldn't be taking him.

Assuming Poulter keeps that 8th spot, I'd be picking Stenson, Casey, Olesen, and Cabrera Bello.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me Oleson has to get it, he's playing the best out of those not already qualified. Poulter gets in on current form and past experience.

Pieters gets in as it looks like he is rounding into form, played well in the last Ryder cup, good fit for a partner for Rory. And also he is the future of the team He needs to get more matches under his belt.

Then I'd go Stenson, plays well with Rose in the Ryder cup and good to get that extra bit of experience in the team.

I do think that we need to get away from picking the old guard based on past highlights, the likes of Garcia and Casey have had their time, Poulter could be on that list too but he has been playing well this year. If we keep picking these guys then once they are really passed it then its going to come to a point where all we have is young guys with no experience.

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Poulter
Casey
Stenson
Garcia
Oleson

I dont think you can look past those 5 at the moment. Casey has been in great form (until maybe the last month) for the best part of 18 months. Stenson is usually there or thereabouts and Garcia is a betterball dream. Poulter and Olesen have made their pushes at the right time.

D

Deleted member 15344

Right now if the automatics stay the same my four would be

Garcia
Stenson
RCB

Then it’s one from Fitzpatrick, Olesen or Pieters - all depends on how the next two tournaments go

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Another vote for Stenson. I' also think Pieters is a good pick, on recent form and its hard to ignore his success last time out. I think it's much harder after that

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Right now if the automatics stay the same my four would be

Garcia
Stenson
RCB

Then it’s one from Fitzpatrick, Olesen or Pieters - all depends on how the next two tournaments go
No Casey? he's 15th in the world!
Fitzpatrick has had a terrible season

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would you have picked Colsaerts in 2014 after how he played in 2012 though?

Pieters has done nothing of note since the last ryder cup, Garcia has experience and a major.

Colsaerts went 1-3-0 in the Ryder Cup. Pieters was the star of the team - the Americans didn't like playing against him and he formed a superb partnership with Rory. Be mad not to re-unite them in Paris, they were our only positive to take out of the 2016 Ryder Cup.

This year he finished T6 at the PGA, top 30 in The Open, T6 at the Scottish, as well as a T13 at the Honda, and a T5 at the Abu Dhabi. He's not had a brilliant year, but has only missed 2 cuts, Sergio's missed 3 out of his last 4. He's hardly stinking it up like Sergio is right now, and showed some very nice form at the PGA. He's already a lock for me, but a couple of decent finishes before the picks are made and he'll be very hard to ignore.

D

Deleted member 15344

No Casey? he's 15th in the world!
Fitzpatrick has had a terrible season

No Casey for me - if it was in the US on one of their course then he would be in but I just don’t think he should be picked even going through his history and his form in the big comps isn’t great. I don’t think Fitzpatrick will be picked but his straight driving and great iron play will be a bonus in Foursomes

But that’s just my choice I think Bjorn will go Olesen , Stenson , Garcia and then RCB or Casey

WillC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Assuming the top 8 remains, for me it should be Casey, Stenson, Oleson and Cabrera-Bello, who edges out Garcia. Don't think you need Stenson AND Garcia. The rookies are stronger this time around, plus there are less of them than in 2016.