Ryder Cup 2023 - Italy

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I honestly think that US team looks weaker, which says more about me really as it includes Major winners this year, but I'd much rather see Clark, Harman, Burns, and to some extent Homa than say BDC, DJ or even Reed... I feel like a Straka vs Harman (for example) is a tighter match than Straka vs DJ.... so it's good for Europe.

Having said that, slightly skewed, but all US players are within the top 26 in the World. The fact that Cameron Young and Tony Finau (maybe Glover?) aren't in that team is also slightly surprising. But it's noteworthy that all eligible players (11) played at East Lake. It's a very good team.

Depending on picks, Europe's will be selected from within the Top 70ish or possibly 60 depending on picks; however, 7 of these are within the top 25 and there's a more even selection (6US & 4EUR) from the top 10 - so the top order of Team Europe looks pretty good, and with Rose and Lowry adding a bit of character / experience I could see both them contesting well against a Clark, Harman, etc. Realistically, there's a definite lob-sided nature to the team with a gulf in quality between a McIlroy, Rahm, Hovland, Fitzpatrick and say the final 4 that make the team - that gulf doesn't exist in the US team, although what they have is some players struggling for form.

There's no point laboring the point regarding players who aren't going to be there / picked, other than the suggestion some of them would have been in contention either for the nature of the play (Poulter), record & friendship (Garcia) and probable world ranking (Casey, Westwood) but the quality of these players compared to the US players in the same position (DJ, BDC, Reed etc.) is massively inferior. FWIW, I don't think Poulter or Westwood would have been selected as players, but Garcia, Casey and Pieters probably would either on merit or as picks.... an argument could be made these 3 make Europe stronger, but, really, by how much? Not enough to say it's a game changer in terms of the comparative strength of teams and the opportunity is now there for a Paul, Straka, Macintyre or Meronk to make a name for themselves. I know people suggested a LIV vs PGA event would be great, but the concept of the best 6 LIV Europe guys vs the bottom (likely 6) of the Ryder Cup guys would be interesting - to me anyway!

*Pieters, Casey, Westwood, Garcia, Poulter, Stenson / Kaymer vs Strakka, Rose, MacIntrye, Perez, Meronk, /Paul/Hojgaard/Power* - at their peaks it's a non-contest but now I think it's pretty even... so the exclusion of LIV players doesn't significantly weaken Europe - it's sort of weak in the bottom half anyway, but it doesn't present a great opportunity for a star to rise - imagine if Straka toppled Scheffler!!!! That would be far more sensational that Fowler toppling Rahm for example.

Mockba

Visit site
on what do you base that? everything I have seen about him is positive, search out his video regarding Lucas Glover for example
Watched him live at the open this year on the first tee. He completely ignored the scorekeeper and bunker raker. Walked past them like they weren’t even there.

Ignored the other players on the tee.

He did it again watching the other days on tv. Seemed like an ignorant man to be honest. Every other play shook all the volunteers / workers hands on or at the tee.

Hoganman1

Visit site
Here I go again. It seems like for every Ryder Cup I struggle with pulling for my home team here in the colonies. This started way back with Seve and has grown over the decades. My three favorite pro golfers right now are Hovland, Rahm and McIlroy. Sure, I like Spieth, Thomas and Schaufele but it will be hard to root for them against my big three. I just hope the Cup is close and we all get to see some great matches.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cute how Matt Fitzpatrick is still hoping to make the team :

"I can make sure that I'm on that team with a good result this week and that's what I'll be focused on," he said.
"There's no doubt about that. Fortunately, it's a place that I've played well before, so it's nice to be here. That's always a goal at the start of the year when it's a Ryder Cup year, you want to be on that team wherever they're playing and you want to be part of it. Hopefully I can do that this week."

I still think he can do it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Watched him live at the open this year on the first tee. He completely ignored the scorekeeper and bunker raker. Walked past them like they weren’t even there.

Ignored the other players on the tee.

He did it again watching the other days on tv. Seemed like an ignorant man to be honest. Every other play shook all the volunteers / workers hands on or at the tee.

Much as I'm not a fan he was leading the open , he isn't a Rory type ie used to winning and confident

Very in the zone

After all this is a job to them

Mockba

Visit site
Much as I'm not a fan he was leading the open , he isn't a Rory type ie used to winning and confident

Very in the zone

After all this is a job to them
He wasn’t leading when I was there.

It also isn’t hard saying hello and shaking peoples hands pre round. It’s normal in golf so nothing out of the norm. Added to that it’s just basic manners and courtesy.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cute how Matt Fitzpatrick is still hoping to make the team :

"I can make sure that I'm on that team with a good result this week and that's what I'll be focused on," he said.
"There's no doubt about that. Fortunately, it's a place that I've played well before, so it's nice to be here. That's always a goal at the start of the year when it's a Ryder Cup year, you want to be on that team wherever they're playing and you want to be part of it. Hopefully I can do that this week."

I still think he can do it.
Eh? I thought he was more-or-less a shoo-in.

Don't write off JT either. This is match play, different gravy and I doubt many European players would relish being drawn against him in the singles.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
A year out I thought the U.S. would destroy Europe as we get nearer I think Europe have a decent chance. I'm amazed JT got picked.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A year out I thought the U.S. would destroy Europe as we get nearer I think Europe have a decent chance. I'm amazed JT got picked.
I think we are all on the same more uptimistic turn. And Americans feeling the same not quite as confident.
The changes are the the coming from nowhere of Clark and Harmon that despite their majors are still regarded as not USA front rank.
And for Europe, the strength at the top 8 improved by the form of Hovland and Fitz. And the bottom 4 dont look quite as no hopers as we might have thought, with some form from Straka and MacIntyre.

So gap narrowed.

wjemather

Visit site
I think we are all on the same more uptimistic turn. And Americans feeling the same not quite as confident.
The changes are the the coming from nowhere of Clark and Harmon that despite their majors are still regarded as not USA front rank.
And for Europe, the strength at the top 8 improved by the form of Hovland and Fitz. And the bottom 4 dont look quite as no hopers as we might have thought, with some form from Straka and MacIntyre.

So gap narrowed.
Harman was ranked inside the top-25 of the OWGR at the start of the year - hardly nowhere!

Also, the change in US confidence has nothing to do with Clark/Harman, who have both shown form all season; it's driven entirely by their captain's picks, for which cheerleading and being best mates with Spieth/Scheffler appear to have been the main criteria.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
What Luke wants to see this week is composure under pressure...Rob Mac is showing everything but......
Needs to get his stuff together...

Jason.H

Visit site
What Luke wants to see this week is composure under pressure...Rob Mac is showing everything but......
Needs to get his stuff together...
I’d rather see Moronk in the team than out of form Rob Mac. Don't know if Rob Mac was out of order whilst Moronk was getting ready for his put on the 18th. I’ll watch it again but it looked like he was intentionally trying to put him off.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’d rather see Moronk in the team than out of form Rob Mac. Don't know if Rob Mac was out of order whilst Moronk was getting ready for his put on the 18th. I’ll watch it again but it looked like he was intentionally trying to put him off.
Are both not likely ? Meronk is secure surely. Outside the Big Eight, Straka is the guaranteed and the strongest of the Weak Four. So Donald still needs three weaks. Meronk looks good, so he is not the competition for Bob. Thats Hojgaard, Aberg, Paul, Noren, ... all a bit, does-it-really-matter-who for those last two spots. They will probably only play one round before Sunday as relief bowlers role. Best probably together in a fourball.

Visit site
I don't see much difference between the respective top 8 on both teams. If anything, Europe's are in better form (certainly Hovland, McIlroy, Fitzpatrick, Fleetwood, Hatton and Rahm) with Rose and Lowry to add, although the recent form of both is a concern. The top 6 will have to play every match as 9-12 reveal a gap in quality/experience. Straka would be 9th and has had a good season. MacIntyre if he qualifies from the points list as number 10 and probably in even if he doesn't. I've been impressed by the improvement in Meronk's short game so he is 11. Then I'm struggling - ideally it would be someone like Olesen as he has been there before but hasn't done a great deal recently. Except for Pieters, none of the LIV lot would be anywhere near the team. They have had their day and are ready for the Senior Tours. Harrington is currently better than Garcia/Poulter etc. The performances of whoever join our top 6 on the first 2 days will decide the result, I expect some inspired picks/pairings from the captain. Lowry and Rose might just get dragged along with e.g McIlroy and Fleetwood. 12th pick? One of the Hojgaards probably.