Rugby Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think they only solution is to let their stars play overseas without a cap limit. Free up the wage bill and allow them to blood up and coming players in the regions.

I was listening to the GBR podcast and Foxy was saying that the rest and extra welfare that being centrally contract offered meant that a lot of these players may well end up staying in Wales anyway. He said he took a big pay cut to leave Clermont but it was the best thing for his rugby and himself and family.

The trouble that you are going to have is that making the regions development teams will kill off what little chance they have in the rugby champship and in Europe. Cannot see the crowds flocking to the regions to see them get hammered by the Irish, Scottish and SA teams every week. The plaster that they need to rip off is that they really cannot keep 4 regions and 3 may be pushing it. 2 regions packed with the best that Wales can offer may be a way forward but nobody wants to see half of the Welsh professional players made redundant. Tough situation really but the solution seems to me to be to work out how many teams that you can actually afford to fully and properly fund and go with that and hope that any success that they and the national team have can help bring back more teams in the future.

Reactions: Val
D

Deleted member 1147

Looks like Borthwick’s decision to give Smith some game time was a good idea. He played brilliantly today.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looks like Borthwick’s decision to give Smith some game time was a good idea. He played brilliantly today.

Nice to see that, as with when he was at Tigers, he is not affraid to make tough selection decisions. Having already sidelined Ben Youngs and Manu, he has now benched Farrell for Smith. Will be good to see how Smith plays for England with a proper 12 outside him. Looking forwad to Saturday.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I get he's not everyone's cup of tea but Edinburgh have shown some intent appointing Steve Diamond who who wants to keep Mike Blair and add in Nick Easter as defence coach.

How is both Diamond and Easter portrayed amongst you followers of Premiership rugby?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I get he's not everyone's cup of tea but Edinburgh have shown some intent appointing Steve Diamond who who wants to keep Mike Blair and add in Nick Easter as defence coach.

How is both Diamond and Easter portrayed amongst you followers of Premiership rugby?

Diamond did himself a lot of favours with the way he acted during the Worcester debacle. I think you will do alright there, certainly can be a marmite character but won a lot of friends with his recent actions.

Sad news is for Worcester as the hope was that the new set of cowboys buying the club and Diamond would step in with his consortium. Looks like even he has given up now.

Reactions: Val
D

Deleted member 1147

He’s an old school head man. Sale were a yellow card machine under him, and Sanderson is doing his best to change habits (but they die hard).

With the right men under him you should be ok.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Diamond did himself a lot of favours with the way he acted during the Worcester debacle. I think you will do alright there, certainly can be a marmite character but won a lot of friends with his recent actions.

Sad news is for Worcester as the hope was that the new set of cowboys buying the club and Diamond would step in with his consortium. Looks like even he has given up now.

Is he a bit like Cockers but likeable?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Went to the France v England match in Paris last year, where we lost, but it was fairly close.

This is a proper stuffing, fear for the World Cup 🏉

HeftyHacker

Visit site
England we're awful in the 60 mins i watched - slow to rucks, little structure in attack, unforced errors.

France looked they had the fire back in their bellies after a few flat performances.

D

Deleted member 1147

England we're awful in the 60 mins i watched - slow to rucks, little structure in attack, unforced errors.

France looked they had the fire back in their bellies after a few flat performances.
The issues you listed; no’s 2 and 3 were both largely caused by no 1