Rugby Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd forgotten some clubs, Newcastle amongst them ironically, have gone artificial. Ignore my comment, not an issue then.

Quite the opposite, it's more of an issue as these pitches rely on moisture to stop serious burns. I remember a game at Glasgow one May where it had been really hot and they couldn't keep the pitch wet and several players had significant burns after the game.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Quite the opposite, it's more of an issue as these pitches rely on moisture to stop serious burns. I remember a game at Glasgow one May where it had been really hot and they couldn't keep the pitch wet and several players had significant burns after the game.
Ah, I see. I know those surfaces have come on so much I didn't think that was still an issue. If they had problems in Glasgow in May that doesn't bear well for warmer parts of the country.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ah, I see. I know those surfaces have come on so much I didn't think that was still an issue. If they had problems in Glasgow in May that doesn't bear well for warmer parts of the country.

It was in excess of 30 degrees through the day to be fair, early heat wave that year but a concern none the less. I'm sure Sarries and others cope fine currently, whether they could in July is another matter

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
Would never happen but I am actually coming round to the idea of moving the season to the Summer. That would mean less competition from football and I can see people watching rugby as a summer sport outside of the football season. It would also allow the southern hemisphere internationals and the 6 Nations to be playerd pre and post season so the clubs would have their international players available a lot more. Still not an ideal situation but I just simply cannot see how club rugby can grow when it is being playeed in the massive shadow of the football season.

Playing in "summer" has both plus and minus points. I'm a league fan and playing in summer for us means starting in late January/early February and finishing in late September/early October. During that time we might get a couple of football free months, less if its a World Cup or Euro's year. I don't follow Union but I'd suspect your season would be a similar length. On the plus side, once you get past April the pitches dry out and you should get a better quality game. On the negative side, the genuine summer months come with other distractions be it holidays/days out , golf, cricket, Wimbledon etc. Then, are you talking about just the pro game moving to summer or the whole game?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I don't know if anybody is watching the wheelchair Rugby League being shown on the BBC, but I'm hooked. A really tough game, but with high levels of skill with non-stop action. Totally absorbing. I'd definitely recommend you having a look if you haven't already done so.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't know if anybody is watching the wheelchair Rugby League being shown on the BBC, but I'm hooked. A really tough game, but with high levels of skill with non-stop action. Totally absorbing. I'd definitely recommend you having a look if you haven't already done so.

I watched it and totally agree.

Massive weekend of rugby viewing for me now. Got any wheelchair leage, the league quarter finals, womens world cup union semi finals, most of the home nations in action tomorrow then England on Sunday. Not sure I am leaving the sofa until Sunday night unless I move to watch some out in the garage bar.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Caught the Scotland game from about 60 minutes on. Very feisty, plenty of points. A good day out for the crowd, particularly as Scotland are turning the screw now.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
It was in excess of 30 degrees through the day to be fair, early heat wave that year but a concern none the less. I'm sure Sarries and others cope fine currently, whether they could in July is another matter

Late to this but when I played in hong kong and Japan in summer we were on a lot of artificial pitches. By the time we'd left 2 weeks later most of the lads were carrying such bad burns that they'd become infected in the humidity. A few of them ended up on antibiotics. It was a welcome relief to land in Australia and be playing on grass in winter again.

The way I'd describe it is that your skin stuck but the rest of you slid on so it was just removing that top layer of skin.