Rugby Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
For anyone interested, the Flats and Shanks podcast had a really good discussion about these changes this week. Their conclusion broadly was that 1) something needs to be done and these changes are something. We won't know if they work until we try - if they do work, great - if they don't we can try something else. 2) The RFU's PR and comms is total disaster.

One issue is though that they are putting the cart before the horse in that the impact and, I suspect, regularity of contact the head is far greater than at grass roots level. Not exactly stunning empiracle eveidenve but I had one concussion in 35 years of playing in the front row (in the days before any form of health and safety and player welfare was considered in rugby). I do agree that there does need to be something done in the game as a whole but would suggest a lowering to below nipple height to start and work from there.

As mentioned above, i too fear that it will result in playing for penalties as has happened as scrums now (never used to scrummage to get a penalty as you do now).

As for the RFU. they are a disaster at every level. They can actually make the FA and ECB look competent.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64487553

Some good news coming out of my home town! New owners are now in place.

I'm not a big Rugby guy at all but my FIL is a season ticket holder at the Warriors and I know this news will put a smile on his face, it'll be great to get the Warriors back.

Still loads to sort out for the club but the first step in the right direction.

Newtonuti

Visit site

I'm not a big Rugby guy at all but my FIL is a season ticket holder at the Warriors and I know this news will put a smile on his face, it'll be great to get the Warriors back.

That's superb news! Fingers crossed both Worcester and Wasps can get their squads together and get into the Championship next season. I just hope the Premiership don't ringfence, it'd absolutely destroy rugby in England.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Sadly I am not convinced this is the great news everyone is hoping for. There are still a large number of hurdles to clear with the RFU in the next 14 days that the new owners were unwilling to address stating they were unfair. This included not selling off land, keeping the club at Sixways, showing evidence of funding, paying a bond etc. My fear is that these will not be addressed, Warriors will be moved to the lowest tier, the new owners will say that the club is no longer financially viable and this will become a land grab. So hope I am wrong as have a soft spot for Warriors but fear there is more to come.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
At last, someone has had the guts to drop Manu. At his best he was world class but he has not been at his best for 4 or 5 years. Plus, his USP was his strength, size and power and Sale have taken that away by taking off bulk to try and keep him fit for more than 5 minutes. The fact that he also stormed off with 5 other players when asked to take a pay cut for Covid when the club was struggling in the first week of Borthwick becoming Tigers manager cannot have helped convince him that he is a team player.

I think that injuries stopped Borthwick picking the back line he wanted (JVP, Farrell, Kelly, Marchant) but that will come later in the tournament. He was slightly forced to revert to the much talked about Smith/Farrell combo.

Newtonuti

Visit site
At last, someone has had the guts to drop Manu. At his best he was world class but he has not been at his best for 4 or 5 years. Plus, his USP was his strength, size and power and Sale have taken that away by taking off bulk to try and keep him fit for more than 5 minutes. The fact that he also stormed off with 5 other players when asked to take a pay cut for Covid when the club was struggling in the first week of Borthwick becoming Tigers manager cannot have helped convince him that he is a team player.

I think that injuries stopped Borthwick picking the back line he wanted (JVP, Farrell, Kelly, Marchant) but that will come later in the tournament. He was slightly forced to revert to the much talked about Smith/Farrell combo.

Manu's a spent force in the modern game. Modern backs are more on the agile and skilful side, and Manu is just easily readable, the opposition know what he's going to do, so you find a back rower helping out in defence, or they just chop him. On his day he was immense when he first came through (New Zealand 2012), but opposition have worked him out now. Time to get a young gun through to make that 13 shirt his own.

Oh, and Manu at 13 basically stops any ball making it to our back 3.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Manu's a spent force in the modern game. Modern backs are more on the agile and skilful side, and Manu is just easily readable, the opposition know what he's going to do, so you find a back rower helping out in defence, or they just chop him. On his day he was immense when he first came through (New Zealand 2012), but opposition have worked him out now. Time to get a young gun through to make that 13 shirt his own.

Oh, and Manu at 13 basically stops any ball making it to our back 3.

Watching him most weeks, Kelly at Tigers is a real tallent and will make a great 12 and then you have Marchant or Lawrence to go 13 (with Slade and Daly as options as well. Would be nice to see Daly actually played in his best position) and that there are some great options who offer differnt things without resorting to the one note Manu. Fly half will be interesting, I can actually see Ford getting another shot once fully fit.