RRP of balls. Is it getting beyond ridiculous?

Springveldt

Visit site
I'm pretty well stocked for brand new balls and don't think I'll be buying any in the next 12 months.
However, if I did need any right now, it would be either or both of these deals,

View attachment 44781View attachment 44782

4 dozen balls for £61 anyone?

As for £50+ for premium balls, it has already been said early in the thread, Good=Expensive and Very Good=Very Expensive is successful golf-marketing rather than true cost/value.
After playing Honma TW-X for most of this season if I was after cheap balls then the Honma A1 must be worth a bash.

https://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acatalog/Honma-A1-Golf-Balls.html#SID=9403

£13 a dozen or if you buy 3 or more they are £11.69 a dozen.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Are you trying to say that no amateur golfer can tell the difference between a premium ball and a none premium ball? I'd say from 80yards in every mid/low teen handicap up, could tell the difference and would benefit from the additional control.
I am not.
I am saying we can all tell the difference between a hard and a soft ball (whether premium or not is another question). Like we can tell the difference between a blue Callaway shirt, and a green Proquip one...but it makes no difference to our golf score on the card.

Springveldt

Visit site
I am not.
I am saying we can all tell the difference between a hard and a soft ball (whether premium or not is another question). Like we can tell the difference between a blue Callaway shirt, and a green Proquip one...but it makes no difference to our golf score on the card.
I agree with a lot of what you say about technology in golf but I disagree to an extent with this. I can definitely notice the difference between a urethane covered and non-urethane covered ball on pitches from around 90 yards and in. The urethane ball will launch lower and stop quicker on summer greens for me. It's also more consistent on how much roll out it gets.

Winter and soft greens you can play anything you want as it's going to stop pretty quick.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There's more....
2 balls from the same refurb box of Bridgestones
View attachment 44776
Probably. But the point I was making was that many will dismiss something they've never hit, based on brand alone.

In RS vid he did say that his box of proV’s had various incarnations of models, I guess the Bridgestone comparison could be older and current models

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
They are for those who buy in (?) to golf marketing. Its the same as the price of everything golf. Golfers as a whole, are rich. They choose to spend triple what something is worth if it were pitched to a non high discretionary spending market. Its the same syndrome as £500 for this years 'new improved' (pause for laughter) driver that will make no difference to their game and is the same functionally, as a 15 year old one. Or £80 for a 'golf brand' polo shirt.
It is a case of fools and their money.
99% of golfers would see no difference in their scores if they played 15 balls for £20 options.
Donations of the extra £30 a box to Titleist's shareholders are entirely voluntary for those who wish to do so.
Yes we know you don;t appreciate equipment improves over time. It's hard to work out if you're just trolling or really don't understand it.

However your comment on balls is patent nonsense, better players, and I'd certainly include all single figure golfers, if not higher in that, would certainly notice the difference playing a box of bricks over something with more spin. I think we get it by now, you're not very good, so don't understand or see for yourself the difference it makes, but please don't asssume we're all as poor at golf as you are.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I couldnt imaging the variability in golf ball even flickers the needle given all the other variable that really affect a round for anyone not in the plus zone. For them it does - they have reduced so many of the other variables to such a tight range, that it makes ball variability relevant. For single figures men, there may be a mental placebo benefit in. For anyone in double digits, its purely giving away free money to the manufacturers.
LOL

Around the green in particular, a spinny ball is miles ahead of a brick, again I'm sorry you're such a poor golfer that you don't get it

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I am not.
It makes a huge difference from 80 yards in as said. Again, maybe not for you, but that is a reflection of your golf

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It makes a huge difference from 80 yards in as said. Again, maybe not for you, but that is a reflection of your golf
I'm a bit of a golf ball sceptic...however I absolutely recognise this. Over the last year it has become, perhaps, the strongest part of my game...up to maybe 105yds. Whether it's with my 58 wedge from 60yds through to my Utility/Gap wedge at 105yds, I am looking to (and do often) get it close (within 10-12ft say) - and I def seem to get more control and a tight stop with Pro V1s or suchlike than when playing 'not quite top line' premium balls.

Off the tee and elsewhere my game is just too variable for me to really notice...but as you say...80yds in. Quite often this probably does save me maybe 3-4 shots a round - and with a HI of 8.3 that is important.

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Huge being what, 4 or 5 shots a round ? Id be off 7 or 8 instead of 12 if I systematically played Pro Vs rather the cleanest foundling in my bag ? Or even lower ?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Huge being what, 4 or 5 shots a round ? Id be off 7 or 8 instead of 12 if I systematically played Pro Vs rather the cleanest foundling in my bag ? Or even lower ?
In how the ball reacts, you're not getting it close with a pinnacle gold to a tight front pin on a raised green, or behind a bunker, etc

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
In how the ball reacts, you're not getting it close with a pinnacle gold to a tight front pin on a raised green, or behind a bunker, etc

This was eveidnt in my game on Sunday. We were playing a board comp, so the greens were firm and fast with pins placed in tough spots.

We were playing a ProV. The other pair a Srixon Super Soft. On the front 9 we had a number of shots from similar locations where they ran off the back of a green or a long way past, whereas we were able to keep the ball on the green or closer to the pin.

After they went through the back of the 11th they swapped to a ProV they found earlier and hay presto, improved stopping power made their approaches better.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

That’s only relevant with a crisp and consistent strike, which 80-90.% of club golfers are simply not capable of.

Both statements from yourself and also backsticks carry merit based on the individual player.

CountLippe

Visit site
That’s only relevant with a crisp and consistent strike, which 80-90.% of club golfers are simply not capable of.

Both statements from yourself and also backsticks carry merit based on the individual player.

I would argue any club golfer, who practices their short game would see and appreciate the difference.

Whether that difference is worth paying for is personal choice. Golfers unwilling to pay £40 odd quid a dozen may convince themselves there is noifference, but the numbers don't lie.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would argue any club golfer, who practices their short game would see and appreciate the difference.

Whether that difference is worth paying for is personal choice. Golfers unwilling to pay £40 odd quid a dozen may convince themselves there is not difference, but the numbers don't lie.

I practice my short game pretty regular and generally for someone off 11 I’d consider it consistent. But… o hate proV’s and find them clicky, and even when off 7 found them no benefit to my game.

It just proves that like many other things it’s down to the individual and also how much they buy into marketing can also factor.

One man’s garbage is another man’s gold.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site

Can't agree, you'll see the difference even on not particulalry well struck shots (yes you're not maximizing spin), and certainly not the 99% of golfers he claims. There is no way I'd play a brick with handicap on the line.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh, Slazenger.

Slazenger ADL Bobby Locke set bought very recently.

View attachment 44755View attachment 44756

View attachment 44757

Total cost was a lot less than the steel shaft V300 driver from Sports Direct.

Nothing like playing golf with some classic old clubs for maximum pleasure.

It seems to me, the less I pay for golf equipment, the more I enjoy playing.

Stop your moaning and take up vintage golf. You know it makes (non)sense

You'll need some of these...

CQVpcdk.jpg